TT Training to make you faster

Hi

Im asking to see if people have got any good work outs that can help me improve my 10 mile TT time.

At the moment my PB stands at 26.17 on a course in Headcorn, Kent. Im really want to crack the 26 minute mark and push my PB down to low 25's.

Has any one got any good sets that i can use to help improve my times?

O my ride is a Ribble TT (the alluminium one) with a set of Planet X B wheels and full sram Rival gears with TT500 shifters and TT900 brake levers. Being a student and having spent alot to build the bike up i have not got any cash to splash on new wheels etc.

So unfortunatly i gotta put the hard work in. I just want to know some hints and tips so i get it right and dont waste my time.

Thanks for you help :D

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I've got some TT training to make you slower - presume this is of no use?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Just do the opposite of what P_Tucker does.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Its very difficult without knowing about your training, maybe post up what kind of training you have been doing? how long you have been cycling etc...

As a simple answer, intervals of 2x20 mins and 5x5mins are normally quoted as being pretty good. Another simple thing, which you may be doing already, is train as much as possible in the TT position and try and make sure this is a good one (you can't see aerodynamics but still...)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    As a simple answer, intervals of 2x20 mins and 5x5mins are normally quoted as being pretty good. Another simple thing, which you may be doing already, is train as much as possible in the TT position and try and make sure this is a good one (you can't see aerodynamics but still...)

This ^
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    contrary to popular belief there's no great secret .
    its called hard work :twisted:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Rory

You will knock off time on Harrietsham that is for sure. If you want PM me, I am looking for a willing SFA member to practise coaching on, are you willing to be a guinea pig :lol:

Steve

PS the bike setup is fine, just need to work on the engine :wink:
  • Hi

Cheers Steve ive PMd thanks

My training is a bit all over i kinda make my plans up as i go week by week,

Usual week =
    Monday - 3mile run
    Tuesday - 1hr ride (am), 2hr swim (pm)
    Wednesday - Club TT
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 1hr 30min ride (sometimes with a run after)
    Saturday - I work :(
    Sunday - 2hr ride (simetimes a run after)

Im doing a few tris this year so ive mixed some bricks in to help with the run off the bike.

Thanks

Rory
  • SBezza
    Rory , got the PM, what sort of distance TT and Tris will you be doing.

Also are you going to be at Harrietsham on Thursday ? (Remember it is Thursday for the next 2 weeks) If so I will have a chat with you then.
  • Hi

Im looking mainly at 10s as the sprint tris are 12mile bike leg. Im gunna do the club 25 later this year hopefully. Then my aim next year is to do a few 5more 50s and possibly a half Ironman at he end.

Yeap im going this comming Thursday to remember the course before the open on the 1st :D but wont be at the 5th as its a few days before one of my tris.

Cheers
  • joeyhalloran
    Hi

Cheers Steve ive PMd thanks

My training is a bit all over i kinda make my plans up as i go week by week,

Usual week =
    Monday - 3mile run
    Tuesday - 1hr ride (am), 2hr swim (pm)
    Wednesday - Club TT
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 1hr 30min ride (sometimes with a run after)
    Saturday - I work :(
    Sunday - 2hr ride (simetimes a run after)

Im doing a few tris this year so ive mixed some bricks in to help with the run off the bike.

Thanks

Rory

What do you mean when you say 'ride'? If this is just a steady state ride I would at the least turn either the Tuesday or Friday into some sort of interval or perhaps turn them both into intervals, maybe 2x20 on one a 5x5 min with 5 min recovery on the other. (this is a basic suggestion).
  • yea the "ride" is pretty much a steady paced affair with a few hills that i go hard up. There is also a nice half mile stretch that i do some sprints on as its on a loop its nice to sprint then reide recovery about a mile to sprint again.

Cheers
  • joeyhalloran
    In that case I would definitely change one to intervals (keep the longer one as a bit of endurance training as it is important to keep this up throughout the season (IMO). Maybe start with a block of progression from 2x15 mins, 2x20 min, 1x40 mins then a block of 4x5 min, 5x5 mins, 6x5 mins (1 each week, so that is one session for 6 weeks). (effort wise the longer will feel hard but just about do-able, the shorter ones you should prob be starting to want to give up one the 3rd or 4th interval ish)

This is a kind of generic template and I am 100% sure a better workout plan could be made for you but...I guess that is what you would pay a coach for :P.

I just know how frustrating it can be when all the replies are "in depends" so I have given at least something and something that, IMO, will produce gains. It is also worth taking the opportunity to chat to SBezza as he certainly knows what he is doing when it comes to TTing.
  • danowat
    Don't forget the importance of pacing either, its amazing how much difference decent pacing can make, also i have found improvements by pushing harder into winds and uphills and recovering (only slighty mind ;)) on downwinds / Hills.
  • Cheers guys this is great

thank you
  • SBezza
    Rory

Didn't see your time before you left, but a massive well done for getting a low 25 today. Superb effort, I told you, you would get a sub 26 on Harrietsham. :D

Have to reset your targets now, and try for a sub 24 min 10 :wink: . I am sure we can get you there without a doubt.
  • Thanks

I forgot to look at my computer as i crossed the line :D I thought i went 26 low so i was really suprised to read that time.

Yea my targets deffinatly changed to the 24 min mark. Im gunna try one in my tri suit without a jersey to see if less drag helps lol
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Good effort on your time.

Tri suits are not not allowed in TT's though unless its got sleeves, gotta keep some kind of respectability!
  • danowat
    batch78 wrote:

Tri suits are not not allowed in TT's though unless its got sleeves, gotta keep some kind of respectability!

I believe they are allowing in club events, but not open events, not 100%, so I am prepared to be wrong
  • SBezza
    danowat wrote:
    batch78 wrote:

I believe they are allowing in club events, but not open events, not 100%, so I am prepared to be wrong

Quite correct, club events are fine. I think Rory would mainly do club event anyhow.

Also Rory, you actually got the best improvement award as well, so you will have a medal to collect at the KCA Lunch in November. :D