Campagnolo 10 speed v 11 Speed

I've been running Campagnolo Record 10 Speed for years and it's always been robust and tolerant to the use of KMC chains and cheaper cassettes than Record.
I've got a new Colnago Extreme Cbike to kit out so need to buy Record 11 or Record 10 - is Record 11 all its made out to be? Thank for any feedback from those of you who have lived with both.

Comments

• BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    I run both Campag 10 and 11, (as well as Shimano 10 on 2 other bikes).

I can't tell the difference between Campag 10 and 11. I have raced for 20 years now, and I still struggle to really feel the benefit of only a single tooth difference between sprockets. I don't ever recall a time thinking that I wish there was less difference between ratios, even on my time trial bike. I only went for campag 11 because I was building a new road race bike and it seemed like the right thing to do. I stuck with campag for racing because I prefer their shifters in a sprint.
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    11 Speed for racing only. Much preferred 10 speed.

Infact 11 speed saw me go to SRAM
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the extra sprocket - I hate the feeling of not being able to find the perfect gear and constantly having to switch up and down between too high and too low. It's especially useful if you are planning on doing long steep climbs abroad because you can have one extra lower gear without introducing big gaps in the middle of the cluster. Still, even with an 11sp 12-27 I really notice the extra gap compared with an 11sp 12-25 now that I am used to the latter. Roll on 12sp as far as I'm concerned.

Other than the bonus sprocket it's effectively identical to 10sp as far as I can tell.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    neeb wrote:
    Other than the bonus sprocket it's effectively identical to 10sp as far as I can tell.

Aside, from what I gather, being fussier in terms of set up and staying set up and costing quite a lot more to run (eg Ribble charge almost £40 more for a Record 11 speed cassette over 10 speed).........

And if you went eg 12-25 on 10 speed rather than 11-25 on 11, there wouldn't be any gap difference anyway if that bothers you (I think) - just a very, tiny slight reduction in downhill speed.

It's a bit Spinal Tap really - at what point do you have enough gears?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Aside, from what I gather, being fussier in terms of set up and staying set up
    I haven't noticed any difference I must admit.
    And if you went eg 12-25 on 10 speed rather than 11-25 on 11, there wouldn't be any gap difference anyway if that bothers you (I think) - just a very, tiny slight reduction in downhill speed.
    But the point is that you can go from a 12-25 10sp to a 12-25 11sp, (not an 11-25) and have one less gap... With 11sp you can always have either one extra lower gear, one extra higher gear, or one less gap. Which is good. :wink: