Pedal WILL NOT come off!!!!!

RupertCommunicator
RupertCommunicator Posts: 734
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, My Kona Wah Wah drive side pedal is not coming off. They are 6mm Allen key only, no spanners. Have rounded about 6 allen keys on it, including expensive Chrome Vanadium ones. Am turning the right way, have tried WD40, chain lube, boiling water, frozen peas on the axle, wrecking bar, hammer, holding the axle over my stove.

THE BASTARD WON'T COME OFF!

Help me, for my sanity's sake! :cry:

Comments

• WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Are you SURE you're turning it the right way?

:D
  • Yes, I check every time! Looking at the other pedal I'm about to put in to check that it would indeed move the thread outwards.

My sanity is slipping away.

Would freezing it overnight do anything, or should I go balls deep and heat the crank for about a minute over my gas cooker?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Your sure you are inserting the allen key properly as well and not forcing it out as you are trying to force the thing to budge, I've rounded many an allen key doing this
  • The keys are in fully and straight in.
  • Have you tried giving the allen key a couple of taps with a hammer,then put the ring of a 17 or 19 mm spanner on it and give it a try

Try soaking it in WD 40 overnight but I wouldn't try heating it.
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • Have you tried giving the allen key a couple of taps with a hammer,then put the ring of a 17 or 19 mm spanner on it and give it a try

Try soaking it in WD 40 overnight but I wouldn't try heating it.

I've tried twatting it with a hammer then using an old handlebar for leverage. Hence my half dozen bent, twisted and rounded allen keys.
  • are the pedals dead?
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • No! Just switching from flats to SPDs!
  • if they were I would have suggested drilling them out
  • I might have a drive to the local garage tommorrow and see if they have an ubertool with a 6mm hex on the end.
  • you could try getting it off with some of these and a ratchet

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... key-sets-2
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    You need more torque, I'd suggest a BMW 335D.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Before you rounded off the allen fitting you should have used an impact screwdriver. You might still get away with that.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Heat the arm, the ally will expand faster (and more) than the steel of the pedal, use a small blow torch.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or plusgas.
    I think this is some kind of god's way of telling you that flats are what you should ride!
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    if an impact driver does not get it out then heat most certainly will, get a blow torch, nice blue flame, heat till cherry red then wack it with the impact driver, correct bit and hammer, might be only way
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Or get a 6mm allen key socket and a breaker bar?
  • Its Bank Holiday, so no garage, or LBS! Fucking christians! Have had another go, but to no avail. Hopefully the garage will be open tommorrow...
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so,

if the 6mm allen socket cap hole is goosed, there is other options

remove the assembley from the bike

remove pedal body

clamp pedal axle in vice

use crank arm as lever to unscrew

new axels to fit avaialble form superstar

but the thread in the crank could be damaged in process, but you want it out so..........

or try to hammer in a tork of imperial allen key that i slightly bigger than 6mm into the damged socket cap, once its sort of seated you should apply some radial (unscrewing) action to try and break conection whilst still driving the key home.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Start with a decent 6mm socket and a ratchet, heat the arm (it won't go cherry red, its ally and would melt by then!), you can try plusgas (WD40 if you don't have any). keep squirting it on the back as you heat.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • estampida wrote:
    so,

if the 6mm allen socket cap hole is goosed, there is other options

remove the assembley from the bike

remove pedal body

clamp pedal axle in vice

use crank arm as lever to unscrew

new axels to fit avaialble form superstar

but the thread in the crank could be damaged in process, but you want it out so..........

or try to hammer in a tork of imperial allen key that i slightly bigger than 6mm into the damged socket cap, once its sort of seated you should apply some radial (unscrewing) action to try and break conection whilst still driving the key home.

It's 7 quid for the Superstar axle. Have tried mole grips on my axle, with and without rubber grip. Have also tried hammering 1/4 inch hex key as well as various flat head ends. My garage will be getting a visit tommorrow...
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Halfords sell individual 6mm allen key sockets
    6mmallen.jpg

Use with a 3/8" breaker bar should remove it it easily with a bit of Plus-Gas

plusgas.jpg

If the socket breaks or rounds take it back they have a lifetime guarantee :D
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Its Bank Holiday, so no garage, or LBS! ******* christians!
    Here is your problem.... start praying.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    stilsons and me = problem sorted
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Problem solved! Local garage solved problem with proper tools.

Crank in vice, proper allen bit (obviously much harder than mine!) and big bar that properly holds allen keys.

Seems that garages do indeed have better quality stuff than you get in DIY shops!

Just been out on SPDs, and wasn't as frightening as I remember! Even managed a run down a DH track, although it was probably about a minute slower than without SPDs.

Am still amazed at how efficient SPDs are. Was flying up the hills. Maybe I will now have to persevere with SPDs and learn how to ride gnarly stuff in a non pussy way whilst clipped in!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems that garages do indeed have better quality stuff than you get in DIY shops!
    NOOOOOOO, really? :shock:
    Who'd have thunk it?
  • Seems that garages do indeed have better quality stuff than you get in DIY shops!
    NOOOOOOO, really? :shock:
    Who'd have thunk it?

I was actually slightly embarrassed at how easily he shifted the pedal! Definitely highlights how much better a vice and bar are than upturned bike and allen key in a handlebar! :D
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    A bad workman always blames his tools! :wink:

If it's any consolation I have a tool box full of terrible tools.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    This is why you need good tools. Eventually cheap tools will wreck fasteners and cost more to repair. I use Snap-On / Blue-Point but I'm told Park Tools are pretty good too (and likely cheaper).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    unixnerd wrote:
    This is why you need good tools. Eventually cheap tools will wreck fasteners and cost more to repair. I use Snap-On / Blue-Point but I'm told Park Tools are pretty good too (and likely cheaper).

No need for Snap-On / Blue-Point unless your in the trade ... I've used them both (still have a lot of it) and find the Halfords Professional Series of similar quality and a damn sight cheaper!
    2009 Carrera Fury