Where do you do your supermarket shopping (class related)

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    WTF? Morrison's and Sainsbury's definitely don't belong together. Personally, I'd put Morrison's below ASDA.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    @DDD do you ever venture into the countryside? There's more to life than supermarkets...

No but I need to do this more if I stand any chance of keeping Ms DDD happy in South West London, advice please.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Also what does it have to do with class? It's as much to do with priorities, ethics etc. I flatly refuse to buy poor quality meat - ie Tesco battery chicken. I'd rather not eat meat every day and spend the savings on something decent. Or not spend money on other things, like cigarettes, petrol, texting the X-Factor. Plenty of people could afford to eat better, they simply choose not to.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    pastey_boy wrote:
    many council estate types shop in asda, tesco's and sainsburys as they think this elevates them socially, the above supermarkets recognise this niche so they created smartprice, value and basics ranges. i myself shop at most of the supermarkets mentioned for different reasons as different supermarkets usually excel in certain areas. if i want something very tasty which is also shockingly bad for my health i will go to m&s. if i want to fill my freezer its either tesco's or asda. if i want german sausage and a bike stand i will head to aldi. farmfoods is great for perving at tasty single mums and sainburys is good for letching over horsey types. if i feel the need to purchase a years supply of bog roll and 40 kilo's of pistachio nuts then i head to costco. as for class i really dont subscribe to the system. i own my own business plus two properties, i dont owe anyone any money and i dont feel the need to skin myself to drive a german car so label me as you will.

Ok, your a snob. " council estate types" :evil:
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    @DDD do you ever venture into the countryside? There's more to life than supermarkets...

No but I need to do this more if I stand any chance of keeping Ms DDD happy in South West London, advice please.

Just occasionally get the f*ck out of London, doesn't matter where. Day trips into Surrey/Kent/Sussex, piece of p1ss on the train/bike, you don't have to go far. I grew up outside Rye in E. Sussex, always popular with tourists!
  • DonDaddyD
    Also what does it have to do with class? It's as much to do with priorities, ethics etc. I flatly refuse to buy poor quality meat - ie Tesco battery chicken. I'd rather not eat meat every day and spend the savings on something decent. Or not spend money on other things, like cigarettes, petrol, texting the X-Factor. Plenty of people could afford to eat better, they simply choose not to.

In my obnoixous, limited, generalised sterotypical social experience I find that my left affluent contemporaries, who in the 60s - 80s would be working class/maybe less will worry less about ethics - ie. battery chicken - and more about price. Whereas my more affluent friends, who would in the 60s - 80s be considered firmly middle class not necessarily worry less about the money they're spending but be more willing to pay for more quality over quantity.

This then influencing where they shop. Waitrose to by organically blessed chicken for £6.99. Or tesco to get 2 whole chickens for £5.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    How about - mix of everywhere? I tend to shop in Tesco's, Asda, Waitrose, Iceland, Local butchers/greengrocers, B&M if they have what I want. Anywhere where the quality of food is good and it's a good deal for the price.

EG: frozen veg at Asda = crap. Frozen veg at Iceland = good for us. So we'll get other food at Asda, then go to Iceland separately to get veg/milk, etc.

It's not a matter of class, but of economy and value. I was brought up on Waitrose/Sainsbury, but even my parents now shop primarily Tesco, and their reason is the same as mine - economic value. Less spent on overpriced food means more money for other things (like bike parts :D )

Also - I now make my own bread, we're looking at growing more veg, thus increasing our level of self-sustainability.
  • il_principe
    Yeah well the organic movement was invented purely as a means to separate fools and their money. I'd still rather eat one nice tasting chicken and then a veggie meal, than two limp tasteless £5 chickens. Same cost, different motivators.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I used to shop at Sainsbury's as that was the closest supermarket. When I lived in Northenden, I shopped at Tesco as that was closest. Now I shop at ASDA as that's the closest.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • il_principe
    richrock wrote:

Also - I now make my own bread

Big +1 to this. Making bread really isn't hard and it's far cheaper/nicer than your standard sliced white. Again it's largely down to choice, not personal wealth. Besides which, wealth and 'class' are two completely different things.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    We get our 90% of meat and eggs from a local farm box scheme - about £23/per week including the dozen eggs, and does for a family of 5.

The animals are pretty free range (it is a typical hill farm a bit to the South of Kinder), and the quality is pretty good.

The village shop gets silly prices at Sheffield market, so there are often some bargains there, depending on the season.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,749
    richrock wrote:

Big +1 to this. Making bread really isn't hard and it's far cheaper/nicer than your standard sliced white. Again it's largely down to choice, not personal wealth. Besides which, wealth and 'class' are two completely different things.

So's sticking pins in your eyes - shouldn't even be able to call it bread. Really must get back in to making my own.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    richrock wrote:

Thirded.

Actually I don't bake the bread usually - I use a panasonic breadmaker, which this year replaced a previous panasonic one that became a bit temperamental after 10-years use, mostly at about 7-8 times per week.

The cost saving and quality improvement is pretty large. It also means that I can make reasonable packed lunches for work instead of paying more to have poor canteen food.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In my obnoixous, limited, generalised sterotypical social experience I find that my left affluent contemporaries, who in the 60s - 80s would be working class/maybe less will worry less about ethics - ie. battery chicken - and more about price. Whereas my more affluent friends, who would in the 60s - 80s be considered firmly middle class not necessarily worry less about the money they're spending but be more willing to pay for more quality over quantity.

This then influencing where they shop. Waitrose to by organically blessed chicken for £6.99. Or tesco to get 2 whole chickens for £5.

There's nothing like travel to adjust one's perspective of value. In Vietnam last year I was impressed that my girlfriend could get a custom made dress done up overnight in the material of her choice for less than £10, no bargaining required, by someone who clearly wasn't doing too badly herself.

Paying for brand-names these days is more or less stupid, since one can judge quality fairly easily. Paying more for ethical production, on the other hand, is very much worth it (Waitrose organic free-range chicken shopper here, BTW :wink: ).
  • DonDaddyD
    All this thread has done is to confirm that i'm still very much a CHAV.

Great. :evil:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The supermarket hierachy

Waitrose
    Mark and Spencer
    Morrisons/Sainsbury's
    Tesco/Asda
    Iceland
    Lidl
    Aldi
    Netto
    Farmfoods

Where do you do your weekly/monthly food shopping?

So you mention M&S & Farmfoods + others yet they're not in the poll....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah well the organic movement was invented purely as a means to separate fools and their money. I'd still rather eat one nice tasting chicken and then a veggie meal, than two limp tasteless £5 chickens. Same cost, different motivators.

Hmmm, organic food boiled down into a nice, convenient, cynical sentence! I think there're a few more implications to health and environment not being considered there...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    what a load of nonsense this is all part of the DDD pigeon holing at people my expense

people will shop at their local supermarket surely?

I've got local butchers/fishmongers etc which I use also a co op/sainsburys and waitrose all close depending on what I want. Hit up cost co for bulk stuff and get organic veg delivered

a little grow your own and we keep chickens, the eggs are freaking great
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jamesco

The NY Times has a recipe for no-kneading bread here which is pretty good for lazy or first-time bakers.

Vogel's bread is what we eat in our house and it ain't too bad.
  • DonDaddyD
    jamesco wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There's nothing like travel to adjust one's perspective of value. In Vietnam last year I was impressed that my girlfriend could get a custom made dress done up overnight in the material of her choice for less than £10, no bargaining required, by someone who clearly wasn't doing too badly herself.

Paying for brand-names these days is more or less stupid, since one can judge quality fairly easily. Paying more for ethical production, on the other hand, is very much worth it (Waitrose organic free-range chicken shopper here, BTW :wink: ).
    Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

I think you're right by the way.

+1
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe

Hmmm, organic food boiled down into a nice, convenient, cynical sentence! I think there're a few more implications to health and environment not being considered there...

It's a deeply cynical movement, with brilliant marketing. Think what you like, but however you cut it organic farming is unsustainable on a global level. Too many mouths, not enough land. Still, it makes middle-class urbanites feel happy about being charged £5 for an egg.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

It's a deeply cynical movement, with brilliant marketing. Think what you like, but however you cut it organic farming is unsustainable on a global level. Too many mouths, not enough land. Still, it makes middle-class urbanites feel happy about being charged £5 for an egg.
    This. Not only this but supermarkets generally squeeze the suppliers so that they pay pretty much the same as for the non-organic produce. The farmer has lower yields and a more expensive process, though...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    what a load of nonsense this is all part of the DDD pigeon holing at people my expense

people will shop at their local supermarket surely?

I've got local butchers/fishmongers etc which I use also a co op/sainsburys and waitrose all close depending on what I want. Hit up cost co for bulk stuff and get organic veg delivered

a little grow your own and we keep chickens, the eggs are freaking great

Serious D for a moment.

You say local, but literally in walking distance to mine is a Tesco, Sainsbury's Marks and Spencer and Morrisons.

Ms DDD chooses Morrisons of the bunch.

I personally would drive to Iceland for ketchup, tinned food and cereals due to the cheap price.

When we do our big shop we also go to Tooting Market, Croydon Market and local Wimbledon butchers for fish, meat, veg etc because we are concious about the quality of the food we buy.

We spoil ourselves by shopping in Morrisons mainly but we're going to have to have a more structured food shop come Sept.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jamesco

I'm not so sure about this. The fact is that with industrial agriculture we are basically eating oil converted into digestible calories. Yes, middle-class urbanites (c'est moi!) have the advantage of begin able to worry about this and shell out for organic-produce boxes, but it doesn't change the fact that our current system is unsustainable in the long-term. Michael Pollan makes a convincing case for sustainable mixed-use agriculture.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Waitrose
    Mark and Spencer
    Sainsbury's
    Tesco
    Asda
    Morrisons
    Lidl
    Aldi
    Netto
    Iceland
    Farmfoods

is perhaps a bit more accurate. having rarely shopped (and it were more than 5 years ago) i'm not sure of the lidl, aldi and netto heirachy myself. I do know that nothing is worse than iceland bar farmfoods - you D for shopping there are a wrongun - and your thread as to why you are still a big fatteh is fully explainable now... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    Ms D is big on organic foods non-battery stuff etc.

Organic food is recognised as being healthier than the non-stuff. Certainly organic chicken is tastier. However, for Supermarkets it is a money spinning exercise where the farmers lose out and the customer pays more. 'Organic' itself is/was a buzz word for the ignorant moguls to feel good about themselves with really knowing what it meant or the food standard badges placed on food.

The smart and real ethical action is to source a farm that doesn't feed the livestock genetically modified foods and doesn't do battery. Corn fed chicken isn't technically 'organic' but the chickens themselves aren't battery, were allowed to perch and play and are GM.

That way your money goes directly to the source, doesn't line the money men and you get good quality food in the process.

I learned taht much from her at least.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    MAN i thought i was a Snob :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

Just because supermarket organic food is overpriced (and barely organic) is no reason to write of the entire thing. As for its unsustainability, I've seen various conflicting reports on this and it's not as if we successfully feed the global population at the moment, with non organic food!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jamesco
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The smart and real ethical action is to source a farm that doesn't feed the livestock genetically modified foods and doesn't do battery. Corn fed chicken isn't technically 'organic' but the chickens themselves aren't battery, were allowed to perch and play and are GM.

+1. Not so worried about GM myself, but this is definitely the right idea!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The thing is, your ethical/health values shouldn't really drive you to go for "Organic" rather than non organically raised meat, it should drive you to eat less meat.

The amount of value we now place on meat is shockingly low, its far too cheap for what it is. Wherever you buy it really.