Where do you do your supermarket shopping (class related)

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Some would argue that you can tell a persons class on the basis of where they shop.

In my mind you know someone is rich if they do their weekly/monthly food shopping in waitrose or Marks and Spencer. Only posh people shop there.

The supermarket hierachy

Waitrose
Mark and Spencer
Morrisons/Sainsbury's
Tesco/Asda
Iceland
Lidl
Aldi
Netto
Farmfoods

Where do you do your weekly/monthly food shopping?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Asda are NOT on a par with Tesco my friend.

No way, No how.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Me?

Well I would shop in Iceland. In fact I did. I did a £100 shop and it lasted weeks, nearly a month. Ms DDD hit the roof nagging about my buying frozen kebabs for lunch and how the sausages had 53% or less meat in them. So she does the food shopping in Morrisons, which seems middle class to me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    I need an options which says "none of them".
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • Asda are NOT on a par with Tesco my friend.

No way, No how.

Ha!

Tesco shopper, outed!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD

No way, No how.

Why not. There are two 24hr ones near where I live they seem exactly the same selling clothes in the aisle next to the fresh vegetables.... full of deals and no frills own brand products.
    Food Chain number = 4

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your ASDA ranking. It comes below Lidl and Aldi without a doubt.

I do use them out of convenience for branded basics (never their own almost universally rubbish stuff) but it is under protest.

Lidl and Aldi are now classless and Iceland is also too high in the rankings.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • In answer to the question, I don't shop. The housekeeper does.

Wot wot?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    To be truly middle class you don't shop at a 'supermarket' you pick things up from the farmers market like Hugh, Jamie and Nigella

You also 'grow your own'..

...and have stuff delivered

You pleb
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What about an option for 'I never use supermarkets' - on the basis that I never use supermarkets because I hate them, the food is crap and it wastes so much time. Haven't been in one for over two years (since my New Years resolution at the beginning of 2009).

Also, how about Booths for posh Northerners (it's like a more ethical version of Waitrose).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your ASDA ranking. It comes below Lidl and Aldi without a doubt.

I do use them out of convenience for branded basics (never their own almost universally rubbish stuff) but it is under protest.

Lidl and Aldi are now classless and Iceland is also too high in the rankings.

Why don't you post your supermarket hierarchy and we can compare...
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No way, No how.

Why not. There are two 24hr ones near where I live they seem exactly the same selling clothes in the aisle next to the fresh vegetables.... full of deals and no frills own brand products.

Was there not a thread on this recently

The average ASDA shopper is wearing a tracksuit and has a trolley full of sunflower oil and dog food
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I need an all of them option.

I don't care where I shop. If they have what I want at a fair price and convenience, they get my business.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    Rolf F wrote:
    What about an option for 'I never use supermarkets' - on the basis that I never use supermarkets because I hate them, the food is crap and it wastes so much time. Haven't been in one for over two years (since my New Years resolution at the beginning of 2009).

Also, how about Booths for posh Northerners (it's like a more ethical version of Waitrose).
    So that would rank about where I've place Netto then for us Southerns.

Morrisons only became "posh" when it ventured south. FACT!
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    M&S should be above waitrose based on cost alone.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Nothing, including Morrisons, ever became "posh" when it ventured south. FACT!

Fixed.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wouldn't have put Morrisons up with Sainsbury's. AFAIC, Morrisons, Asda and Tezzies are all on a par with Sainsbury's slightly higher up the ladder. I shop at Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco, down in SE London I'm within a 2 mile radius of 2 massive Tescos, 2 big Sainsbury's, a big Morrisons and a massive Asda.... I use all of them although Asda has to be the cheapest for what I buy, although it doesn't tend to stock the "finer" things like organic meat and veg and doesn't have such a range of slightly unusual things like pesto or bio yoghurt etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    edited April 2011
    You've also missed costco and makro.

Plus people who shop in

Markets (such a Kingston Market)
    Local Shops for Local People Butchers, Green Grocers, bakers etc
    Organic Free Range shops
    Internet Mail Order Shops
    and Direct from Farm (my own choice when buying meat).

and Organic Fruit and Veg box companies
    --
    Chris

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Booths would be above Waitrose. Netto is surely about as bad as it gets. I remember going in one - looked like people had been dumping their recycling on the shelves. Morrisons is surely not posh down South? Nothing posh about Morrisons up here.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Selfridges Food Hall, anyone?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    I need to revise the list:
    Organic Free Range shops

This is like a whole different concept of wealth to me...
    Food Chain number = 4

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    There is a Tesco 200 yards from my front door - Walkable. A Waitrose about 2 miles away, cycleable and Asda is about 4 miles away - car!

So, Always go to Tesco. UNless my wife meets me for ,unch at work, my office is next to a huge Sainsbury.

To be honest, I see no class thing here - need fodd/stuff - go to nearest store. Don't care what it is, they all sell the same stuff.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2011
    many council estate types shop in asda, tesco's and sainsburys as they think this elevates them socially, the above supermarkets recognise this niche so they created smartprice, value and basics ranges. i myself shop at most of the supermarkets mentioned for different reasons as different supermarkets usually excel in certain areas. if i want something very tasty which is also shockingly bad for my health i will go to m&s. if i want to fill my freezer its either tesco's or asda. if i want german sausage and a bike stand i will head to aldi. farmfoods is great for perving at tasty single mums and sainburys is good for letching over horsey types. if i feel the need to purchase a years supply of bog roll and 40 kilo's of pistachio nuts then i head to costco. as for class i really dont subscribe to the system. i own my own business plus two properties, i dont owe anyone any money and i dont feel the need to skin myself to drive a german car so label me as you will.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • sketchley
    It need not be. Buying from local butchers, green grocers etc can be cheaper than supermarkets. It can also be a lot more expensive if tailored to the "i clearly saw you coming" crowd e.g. Wimbledon Farmers Market.

The farm I by meat from is priced fairly competively see http://www.treflachfarm.co.uk/.
    --
    Chris

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Organic Free Range shops

£10 meal for 2 from M&S just doesn't feel like you've 'made it' anymore?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I can't click Tesco and Waitrose.

Morrisons are nowhere equivalent to Sainsbury's except possibly price.

Booths are equivalent to Waitrose, they actually label their fast queue correctly as "10-items or fewer"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Organic Free Range shops

£10 meal for 2 from M&S just doesn't feel like you've 'made it' anymore?

and I bet he's never seen the local Farmer's booth outside the gate with the honesty bucket by it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Greg66 wrote:
    Selfridges Food Hall, anyone?

No, Fortnums, dahling...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Booths would be above Waitrose. Netto is surely about as bad as it gets. I remember going in one - looked like people had been dumping their recycling on the shelves. Morrisons is surely not posh down South? Nothing posh about Morrisons up here.......

This
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Reportedly Tesco takes something like 60p in every pound spent in Inverness - that's because you can't move for bloody Tescos - no Sainsbury's (no loss) or Waitrose (big loss). Mrs MRS does shop in Lidl for some of the more obscure things they sell, Tesco & Markies
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    @DDD do you ever venture into the countryside? There's more to life than supermarkets...