Disproportionate Muscles?

2»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I would have thought spinning wouldn't particularly help in building muscle mass though, but rather build definition. It's the equivalent of doing heavy weights/short number of reps at the gym to build mass and size vs lighter weights/high reps to define...

Pretty sure Armstrong had the biggest thighs and calves I've seen in the peloton in a long while and he hardly mashed....

136-7_Calf.jpg

I've seen that photo before. Those veins just don't look natural :shock:

(Please don't start another Lance doping rant - I am just commenting on the physicality).
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ya - old pros get veiny legs.

Take a look at Sean Yate's legs when he was a pro and afterwards.

The lack of fat also doesn't help..
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,390
    daviesee wrote:
    I would have thought spinning wouldn't particularly help in building muscle mass though, but rather build definition. It's the equivalent of doing heavy weights/short number of reps at the gym to build mass and size vs lighter weights/high reps to define...

Pretty sure Armstrong had the biggest thighs and calves I've seen in the peloton in a long while and he hardly mashed....

136-7_Calf.jpg

I've seen that photo before. Those veins just don't look natural :shock:

(Please don't start another Lance doping rant - I am just commenting on the physicality).

+1 I've got a couple that stick out a bit (more like varicose veins than pro cyclist) but that's like something from one of DDD's comics.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I just checked my right bicep, and it is MASSIVE.

Fortunately, so is my left one!

Roll up for the gun show laydeez. Step this way ... No, that's not chloroform. And that isn't a sack, either.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

136-7_Calf.jpg

Yeah but in the grand scheme of things, his calf muscles are hardly enormous (if you can look past the grotesque veins for a moment!) There are guys at my gym with calves that look twice the thickness of my neck!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Yeah but in the grand scheme of things, his calf muscles are hardly enormous (if you can look past the grotesque veins for a moment!) There are guys at my gym with calves that look twice the thickness of my neck!

Agreed. My calves are about that size. It's just using them properly that I fail at :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    if you have one side bigger than the others, just take one pedal off and just use your one leg to build up to the same size as the bigger one! same in no time! :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love this pic of Ullrich, king of the mashers...

Jan_Ullrich.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Not often that Nap D posts in here. First I can remember. I think this thread is blessed.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I love this pic of Ullrich, king of the mashers...

Jan_Ullrich.jpg

Holy crap i've never seen that one before :shock:

a body builder would be proud of that definition
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Asprilla wrote:

Mashing is a much 'squarer' pedalling motion that sminning and so concentrates on the quads while spinning, being more circular, is more of a full leg motion.

sorry mate, but you are going to have to explain that one.......you must have some pretty sophisticated drive train on your bike if you can pedal squares..... :?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    PBo wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Mashing is a much 'squarer' pedalling motion that sminning and so concentrates on the quads while spinning, being more circular, is more of a full leg motion.

sorry mate, but you are going to have to explain that one.......you must have some pretty sophisticated drive train on your bike if you can pedal squares..... :?

Here you go.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!