Disproportionate Muscles?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
my mrs noted last night that my left leg is no where near as muscly (is that a word?) as my right leg

i am right footed, if that makes a difference?

all i can think of is my left leg is lazy making my right leg push harder on the pedals?

am i freak??

kinda reminds me of a Family Guy episode

musclearm.jpg
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    ahhh, when he discovers internet pron... :D

My legs are but that is partly due to being on crutches for years so right leg (left hip got fixed eventually) is bigger.

Do you push off on your right from standing start? I'd put money on that being a factor.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Its bad habbit on your pedaling - I am concious of using my right to push down more and pull up more with my left. Over time it will affect muscle size on both legs. Likewise, even though I weight train both arms at the same reps/weights there is still a difference left/right with right being the more prominent as that is likely to be that I am right handed & use it more "generally" than the left.

I want to find somewhere to teach me to be a more efficient pedaler too as I am obviously wasting efficiency someplace.
  • mudcow007
    yeah i push off with my right definitley, i think i always have done.

my right calf is about double the size of my left!

i think im going to have to buy a push along scooter and commute on that to build my other leg up
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Have you had an injury to your left leg at any point? I injured my left knee last year marathon training, by the time I got myself to a physio it had caused "atrophy" of my left thigh muscle to such an extent that my left thigh circumference was over an inch smaller than my right. Looked very weird! It has sorted itself out more or less though.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Do you push off on your right from standing start? I'd put money on that being a factor.

I wouldn't. It's one pedal stroke amongst thousands, and not even that much more effort, unless perhaps you set off in the highest gear all the time. Can't see it having much effect.

I've found my left leg to less defined than my right in the past few years, too. To me, though, it seems as though my left leg is swollen, rather than being significantly less muscular.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mudcow007
    no injuries to cause muscle wastage or anything like that, i think it must be maybe just technique? so technically im only powering along at the moment on one leg, imagine how fast i can go with two!!

an there was me hoping to wear shorts to show of my new an improved calfs :(
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It's normal to have dominant sides to the body. I had an induction session with a personal trainer a while back at the gym, he looked at me and quite quickly asked me if I was right handed, he said that he could see that my right "pec" was more developed than the left one.... I had always thought I was quite well balanced!

I try to consciously go through phases of unclipping on the right for a few months at junctions etc and then on the left for a while to try to make sure I'm not always pushing off with 1 leg or the other all the time....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My left quad is much bigger than my right even though I'm right footed.

It's got nothing to do with which foot I push of with, it's because my left leg is fractionally longer than my right and at the moment I don't have a shim between my right shoe and cleat to even them up.

Since my left leg is longer I it tends to do more work and so get bigger.

I suspect you are the same.

Go and have a bike fitting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's normal to have dominant sides to the body. I had an induction session with a personal trainer a while back at the gym, he looked at me and quite quickly asked me if I was right handed, he said that he could see that my right "pec" was more developed than the left one.... I had always thought I was quite well balanced!

Sounds like he was trying to size up the quality of your reach-around....
  • mudcow007
    Asprilla wrote:
    Since my left leg is longer I it tends to do more work and so get bigger.

Go and have a bike fitting.

funnily enough when i was getting "sized up" for the bike the guy doing the measuring was having issues as he got two different measurements for my inside leg/ croach height thing (like a saddle on a pogo stick)

i will go back to the LBS an see what they say

i feel like a bit of a freak now
  • bigmat
    Slightly OT, but re calves, I hear cyclists talking about defined calves etc. Personally all my power seems to be in my thighs, which are pretty massive, whereas my calves look relatively normal. Could be that I'm not utilising those muscles properly due to poor technique or something? Are calves really that important to cycling?
  • Headhuunter

Sounds like he was trying to size up the quality of your reach-around....

I had to look that up on urban dictionary.... Now I feel all dirty....
  • Headhuunter
    BigMat wrote:
    Slightly OT, but re calves, I hear cyclists talking about defined calves etc. Personally all my power seems to be in my thighs, which are pretty massive, whereas my calves look relatively normal. Could be that I'm not utilising those muscles properly due to poor technique or something? Are calves really that important to cycling?

Yeah I agree, calves seem fairly secondary to the quads and hams for me. I do calf strengthening exercises at the gym to try to balance them out a bit!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,390
    BigMat wrote:

I would guess that it depends how much you flex your ankles in a normal pedal stroke, as well as whether you tend to mash or spin. Souplesse, innit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    i "think" calfs only come into play during hill climbing

my quads an glutes are quite chunky but again my right quad is way bigger than my left
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BigMat wrote:

I think it depends on your pedalling technique. If you're more of a spinner than a masher then you do use your calves more. Or at least I find I do when I'm trying the wiping shit/kicking the door down technique.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Since I have commuting since moving here my calves have got bigger as I am a spinner, even my mate who I bike with up in scotland mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed. Apart from that I think I am pretty balanced.
  • bigmat
    Right, more spinning required then by the sounds of it. I definitely need to be in decent climbing shape by July - Marmotte could be tricky otherwise!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    BigMat wrote:

High gear - mashing - thighs

Low gear - spinning - calves
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Headhuunter
    daviesee wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I would have thought spinning wouldn't particularly help in building muscle mass though, but rather build definition. It's the equivalent of doing heavy weights/short number of reps at the gym to build mass and size vs lighter weights/high reps to define...
  • asprilla
    daviesee wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I would have thought spinning wouldn't particularly help in building muscle mass though, but rather build definition. It's the equivalent of doing heavy weights/short number of reps at the gym to build mass and size vs lighter weights/high reps to define...

Burning calories leads to definition, be that though high weight / low rep or vice versa; it's just that the guys who are bulking are usually eating calories by the skip load. You can't bulk and cut at the same time.

Mashing is a much 'squarer' pedalling motion that sminning and so concentrates on the quads while spinning, being more circular, is more of a full leg motion.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    My thighs suffer by comparison when I look down.....

No not my stomach...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • asprilla
    Greg T wrote:
    My thighs suffer by comparison when I look down.....

No not my stomach...

Yeah, oversize tops tubes are all the rage these days....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    That'll be why you've been struggling with the SCR Greg - just extra weight. You need to learn to pedal with it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yeah, oversize tops tubes are all the rage these days....

Am I happy to see you or is that a CO2 inflator in my pocket?

Sorry I meant track pump . . . . . .

edited to add . . . .
    RJSterry wrote:
    That'll be why you've been struggling with the SCR Greg

Struggling . . . is that right princess . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rjsterry
    :lol: Only going off your recent posts. Been doing no better myself recently.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited April 2011

Probably a better definition than mine :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I'm just fed up with having muscly legs and the upper body of a five year old. Maybe I'll invest in a recumbent arm-bike for my winter commute.
  • rick_chasey

Pretty sure Armstrong had the biggest thighs and calves I've seen in the peloton in a long while and he hardly mashed....

136-7_Calf.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Similarly, compared to today, Merckx mashed like maaad:

eddy_merckx_1966.jpg