Descents (SPD's vs Flats)

2»

Comments

• armymankin
    armymankin Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    armymankin wrote:
    maybe i am still not good enough (and definitely not good enough),

i struggle with my flats on bumpy rocky rooty decent. i either fighting hard to keep the heels down and stay focus on gripping my pedals (very tired) or i simply loose them when speed picks up on big bounces and drops (and it hurts!!).

i know I should not blame the bike, but a hard-tail i have has a bouncy back. so without the rear shock the bounce transfers straight from the ground to my knees and hip without delay. sometime my body just not loose enough and deal with the quick transition.

therefore SPD is the solution. you could think of pedalling downing the descent and dont need to just focus on staying on the pedals anymore,
    No, SPD is not the solution in that case. SPD in your case is shying away from learning proper technique. Once you've got it nailed, there's no "I was too tired to think about my feet being on the pedals". It just happens, it becomes second nature, something you do without any thought at all.
    If you're not absorbing the impact with your legs, and flowing with the bike, you're not in control.

easy man, i am saying it is easy to get bounce off the flat pedals when speed picks up ( to where you would fight to keeping your feet on the pedals... okay, it is sort of out of control in that point)
    whereas SPD would help riders to stay intact, so you do not need to think of slowing down to get it in a comfort zone, instead you can think of going quicker. umm.... not sure if you know what I mean.

the SPD would allows me to go much quicker on the same steep long rocky descent compare to the flat.
    And ofcause, my technique is far from good. :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    armymankin wrote:
    easy man, i am saying it is easy to get bounce off the flat pedals when speed picks up ( to where you would fight to keeping your feet on the pedals... okay, it is sort of out of control in that point)

Sam Hill seems to manage ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    its all down to personal taste
    personally i use spd for most of my riding and use these for most courses and conditions, i can tackle ups/downs no problems BUT if you are talking pure downhill/ descents then i favour flats. the platforms i use are massive so i can locate the pedals very quickly, allows tripodding when cornering at speed.
    flats can be as sure footed as spds especially when they have spikes in them to prevent foot slippage.
  • armymankin
    tri-sexual wrote:
    its all down to personal taste
    personally i use spd for most of my riding and use these for most courses and conditions, i can tackle ups/downs no problems BUT if you are talking pure downhill/ descents then i favour flats. the platforms i use are massive so i can locate the pedals very quickly, allows tripodding when cornering at speed.
    flats can be as sure footed as spds especially when they have spikes in them to prevent foot slippage.

is it a HT of Full-sus you are riding?
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    At the moment I use SPD's on my Scott Scale, although if i'm doing anything that i'm uncertain of I will unclip.
    When my full susser arrives I will probably be using flats untill my confidence is up and I can use SPD's again. (unless i'm trying new things)

I believe its down to personal preference to be honest, if you want to try borrow a mates pedals for a few days, if you like then stick with them, my brother tried mine for a week and he reverted to flats because he didn't feel safe.

I personally prefer SPD's (cant place why, I just do)
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    i have both
  • armymankin
    edited April 2011
    i am not saying it makes sense but I guess it is easier to descent with flats on full-sus bike, or drop you seats right down if its a HT. also, it may help if have stick the inside foot out for sharp cornering.

having a XC type of bike with seat up high, it has less room for the body to absorb the shock. maybe it would then easier to dsecent with SPD.

personal preference again
  • I picked up a set of shimano "skate style" spd shoes today (no idea which ones, they were black though).

They were fucking heavy! :lol:
    But very very stiff, which is perfect for SPD's and is ideally what you want from a set of shoes.

I couldn't wear the slim lightweight xc/roadie type shoes as I think they look a bit retarded.

Still, I reckon my etnies aren't far off them for stiffness, look a lot better and do they job just fine on my flats!

Its all about the long pins with flats though!
  • armymankin
    I picked up a set of shimano "skate style" spd shoes today (no idea which ones, they were black though).

They were ******* heavy! :lol:
    But very very stiff, which is perfect for SPD's and is ideally what you want from a set of shoes.

I couldn't wear the slim lightweight xc/roadie type shoes as I think they look a bit retarded.

Still, I reckon my etnies aren't far off them for stiffness, look a lot better and do they job just fine on my flats!

Its all about the long pins with flats though!

ar, this just reminds me another bonus of having SPD. you can wear those football boots type of mtb shoes which you can not do not flat.

I have a pair of MP66 (the skatebroad shoes type) with flat rubber sole. I mean they good in general, but they are absolutely hopeless if one have encounter to hiking up a steep muddy bank (not to mention you have to carry your bike at the same time).

but it is out of the descenting topic
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    To the original question, 1:50 in this vid suggests a difference in technique, I have heard this elsewhere too. Personally have only ridden flats.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Bike-Setup ... -2011.html
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    i think the easyest way to sumerise it is....they both have pros and cons, its up to the individual,
    no need for a 14 page easter resserection :lol:

my oppinion, i would rather flats, i still come off alot and i like to jump off things and try new obsticles, SPD's are not for me