First 10 TT done last night

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
i did my first 10 mile TT ever last night on the PETTS course.

I finished with 25:29 on a standard road bike (no aero bars). Im very chuffed with that, but I think I have caught the bug and Im sacred of it becoming another expensive project.
Clip on bars, aero wheels etc etc..............My wife will not be happy.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's the most addictive form of racing IMO. Well done BTW!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It's the most addictive form of racing IMO. Well done BTW!

+1 to all that!! well done

Should come with a health warning :wink:
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Do what I did. Get knocked off and spend half the £4k compo on a TT bike!

:lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • i've been riding now since August last year (well on a road bike anyway) and want to join my local club this year who have a time trial starting from my village. Tempted be get involved, but i know its going to end up with me wanting a dedicated TT bike next year!
  • that's a top time for a first go on a road bike....aero bug will kick in soon :wink:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Great time for a first ride, that matches my PB!! BTW that qualifies you at our club for a bronze medal and a fiver, check your club to see if you gat the same.
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    Well done.

Can I ask a newbie question to TT. I know what poses a good time, however I am sure the course itself could change it dramatically due to climbs etc.... Are TT courses fairly flat?

Thanks
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    christurbo wrote:
    Well done.

Can I ask a newbie question to TT. I know what poses a good time, however I am sure the course itself could change it dramatically due to climbs etc.... Are TT courses fairly flat?

Thanks

Really depends on the course, the start and finish are generally at similar elevations (with some exceptions, some courses feature a "gift" hill at the start that you don't have to ride back up at the end), but some courses are rolling, some are pretty much pan flat and some are downright mountainous!
  • danowat
    christurbo wrote:
    Well done.

Thanks

Generally, course are as flat as possible, although there are a number of "sporting" courses around that are not flat.

Even pancake flat DC courses have climbs up flyovers and what not, but yes, courses do have an effect. as does the weather conditions.

TBH, without knowing the winning time, its hard to judge what a good time is on that course in those conditions
  • davelakers
    markos1963 wrote:
    Great time for a first ride, that matches my PB!! BTW that qualifies you at our club for a bronze medal and a fiver, check your club to see if you gat the same.

Our bronze qualifying time is 26:00 so I do get a medal. Not sure on the £5 though, I will ask.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    christurbo wrote:
    Well done.

Thanks

As well as being flat fast courses tend to be straight out and back, so really only one turn to ease up/slow down for. Fast courses will have a good smooth road surface, it's amazing how much difference a nice smooth piece of road makes to your speed.

And I understand most courses that are seen to be all round fast will be North/South. Any East/West courses will generally have one way with the wind, and the other into the wind as the prevailing wind for the UK is W/SW. Where as a side wind can be used to give a sail effect benefit.
  • Anonymous
    Our TT course is an out and back with a gift start but some rollers that REALLY take it out of me, each course has it's merits. Can't really fault ours, traffic isn't too bad, road surface is ok, turnaround is good. :)
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    our ten course has a bit of a hill just after the start that you don't do coming back and quite a few corners that you need to slow down for, i think the best time done on it is 21.15 or something similar and i think the guy who set that has done a sub 20 in a national 10 before, which goes to show how much difference course can have to times
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    traffic can make a difference too. Some people like riding courses like those on the A1 due to the pull you get from passing lorries.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Our standard course is a 12.5 with a course record mid 27 - my best is a mid 30 - absolute killer. Everytime I reach the 20 minuteish point I think if only we had a nice flat fast 10 I'd be almost finished now.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My local 10 is 12 and a half laps of the Salt Ayre circuit. No traffic or junctions to worry about. I think doing laps may be worse than out-and-back mentally, but at least it means the kids from the Go-Ride club I coach at can do TTs as well (there's a 6mile and 2mile TT for the younger riders).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I think I have caught the bug and Im sacred of it becoming another expensive project

Not that expensive!
    Get these then you're away:

clip on bars- £30-£40

skinsuit- £55

pointy hat- £80

lightweight tyres- £40

Oh, and move your saddle forwards and up and take the spacers out from under your stem.

Guarantee at least a minute off your current 'PB'!
  • davelakers
    Well I have just done my 2nd 10 TT tonight, with my new clip on bars, and broke 25mins. I came in at 24.51. We had a horrible headwind for the last 3 miles as well.

Im getting hooked.
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    nice going mate:). i love time trialing iv only been riding 10months but my current is 24:00 lol done that my 1st race this year, hoping to get down to 21-22 this year.

i always look forward to thurs nights as i get to put myself thou pain lmao and earn bragging rights with my mates saying im the fastest:D lmao
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • TT is the most addictive 2 wheeled sport I've found yet.. even more so than Downhilling ( I NEVER thought I'd say that about anything)
    Don't worry about the addiction..enjoy it.. enjoy every race, and every incremental improvement in your PB, no matter how large or small. As money and inclination allow, get some aero bits..
    Most importantly... just have fun
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    You wait till you start to go slower for no obvious reason!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    davelakers wrote:
    i did my first 10 mile TT ever last night on the PETTS course.

I finished with 25:29 on a standard road bike (no aero bars). Im very chuffed with that, but I think I have caught the bug and Im sacred of it becoming another expensive project.
    Clip on bars, aero wheels etc etc..............My wife will not be happy.

That is pretty impressive for a first attempt

I've yet to do one but will be pleased if I crack 30- riding 10 miles normally takes me 40 mins....
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    Basing my commute of 7.5 miles taking me 25 mins, and my improvements in time, avg speed, distance, I started to think about riding competitively. I've taken the plunge to do my first 10 mile TT this week on thursday.
    If I'm honest, I'm bricking it! *
    My main thing is I have a cheap Carerra road bike, no aero, clip pedals... but I'm prepared for just turning up and doing my best. I reckon a 30-35mins would be very good, 40-45 would be good, anything else would mean I need to work on it. Lets see if I get the bug. :?

Oh, and I'll have to ride home as well, as the TT is straight after work.... +7.5miles onto TT :shock:

*I'm scared people will laugh at my cheap bike, not how I ride.
  • danowat
    richrock wrote:
    Oh, and I'll have to ride home as well, as the TT is straight after work.... +7.5miles onto TT :shock:

Nice warm up then :wink:

No one will laugh at your bike or riding, there will probably be allsorts there, from your full on aero guy to guy on basic roadie.

Just ride and have fun, you'll be amazed at how much quicker having a number pinned to your ass makes you :wink:
  • Anonymous
    richrock wrote:
    Basing my commute of 7.5 miles taking me 25 mins, and my improvements in time, avg speed, distance, I started to think about riding competitively. I've taken the plunge to do my first 10 mile TT this week on thursday.
    If I'm honest, I'm bricking it! *
    My main thing is I have a cheap Carerra road bike, no aero, clip pedals... but I'm prepared for just turning up and doing my best. I reckon a 30-35mins would be very good, 40-45 would be good, anything else would mean I need to work on it. Lets see if I get the bug. :?

It's amazing the effect pinning a number on your back has. If you're commuting 7.5 miles in 25 mins I reckon a sub 30 minute 10 is almost a dead cert.

As for the bike, don't worry! Just take all the commuting paraphenalia off it before the TT
  • Anonymous
    as for the 7.5 miles first, do a couple of hardish (5 mins) efforts during it, drink water during, then have a gel or banana when you get there.
  • richrock
    Slightly misunderstood - I'll commute in the morning, and after the TT I've got to ride home 7.5m. I'll take that bit easy, make it a recovery ride of sorts. I carry everything in a camelbak anyway, might have to get a waterbottle & cage though for the TT.

Thanks for the encouragement otherwise though :) not so nervous now.
  • Anonymous
    You don't need water on a 10 mile TT.
  • richrock
    @NapoleonD - y'reckon? I can't do my commute without slurping some water... I've got issues with collapsed sinuses, meaning I can't breath properly through my nose. Wake up every morning with a mouth dryer than James Bond's martini's. I'll try the commute without drinking and see how I go.
  • danowat
    I don't drink on 25TT's, or regular rides of less than 50 miles, you should be fine on a 10 without a drink though.

I never breath through my nose on a TT, every pic I've seen of me looks like a bloody great fish with its mouth wide open gasping for air!