5k to 6k for bike

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Everyone raves about Viners - skip the middle man, fly down to Bergamo and get a fitting and custom-built bike from Marco Bertoletti (who makes the Viners).

Crikey - I like! http://www.legendfactory.eu/collezione_2/

How much for a Marathon frame......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Spend 5k on the bike then the other 1k on a cycling trip abroad for 2 weeks to enjoy it.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i think id rater buy two very very nice 3k bikes, with some di2 kicking about on one. you can then have two distinct styles, maybe hitec modern carbon racer and a modernised old style steel racer.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Viners look awful and the OP wants a good looking bike. I would have the Look or a stainless Pegoretti.

You keep to a bike that looks good. I'll stick to a bike that rides good. :wink:

:lol:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Well did you buy one then ??????????
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • w2darren
    w2darren Posts: 51
    in answer to your question, i have not brought a bike yet,

but i will be going for a tailor made van nicholas astraeus , but i now have to wait till after the summer (bummer) because the wife wants a holiday ( what the wife wants the wife gets)
    well i can,t complain,

thanks again
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah good luck with THAT plan then !

Flash bikes are all well and good but 6k for a bike is just silly money. Spend 1 grand and you'll have just as much fun as the 6 grand - possibly more as you wont worry about scratching your beauty.

Its really not about the bike - its about the experience I reckon.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    cougie wrote:
    Yeah good luck with THAT plan then !

Flash bikes are all well and good but 6k for a bike is just silly money. Spend 1 grand and you'll have just as much fun as the 6 grand - possibly more as you wont worry about scratching your beauty.

Its really not about the bike - its about the experience I reckon.

Sounds like the green eyed monster coming out there cougie
    People spend 'silly money' all the time often on more fickle things than a custom bike. You can spend a lot more than £6k on a bike so why not just be happy for the guy or should we all be doom and gloom merchants because of the current financial climate.

w2darren, Wish I had £6k to spend but don't. Still wish you well mate getting the VN and hope it's everything you wish it will be. Get out on it (dry weather only!), enjoy and feel good at all the admiring looks and comments you'll get.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    w2darren wrote:
    in answer to your question, i have not brought a bike yet,

but i will be going for a tailor made van nicholas astraeus , but i now have to wait till after the summer (bummer) because the wife wants a holiday ( what the wife wants the wife gets)
    well i can,t complain,

thanks again

So has your dream bike turned into a holiday? :(
  • cougie
    I really don't think its envy at all. I had my dream custom built bike when I first started earning - so I've been there and had the best bikes you could buy at that time.

I've been riding for donkeys years now - and when I think back - I remember the experiences that cycling has given me - the laughs with mates, the views, the races, the spills. None of them relate directly to what bike it was and I cant really remember which bike I rode whenr.

Does anyone ever think back fondly to a nice chainset they once had ?
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    kfinlay wrote:
    w2darren, Wish I had £6k to spend but don't.

Neither does he by the sounds of it...
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    cougie wrote:
    I really don't think its envy at all. I had my dream custom built bike when I first started earning - so I've been there and had the best bikes you could buy at that time.

I've been riding for donkeys years now - and when I think back - I remember the experiences that cycling has given me - the laughs with mates, the views, the races, the spills. None of them relate directly to what bike it was and I cant really remember which bike I rode whenr.

Does anyone ever think back fondly to a nice chainset they once had ?

Not chainsets no but I certainly remember bikes fondly and there are defintely loads more bikes I would like to fondle!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • cougie
    I do think fondly of my bikes - I like them all -

But what do you really remember more - cycling stories - or cycles ?

The bike is just a means to an end.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Look 695!
    I've got a Look and a Viner, the Viner might not be everybodys cup of tea but it's the most comfortable bike i've owned by far.
    If i was paying that kind of money, i'd want a good fit, a good ride, a good look and something that every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't have, I'd stay well clear of Treks etc because they're everywhere.
    Colnago, Look, Time, blah blah blah but even though i own one i wouldn't blow that much in a Viner due to the looks, that Look 695 is a stunning looking bike.
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    IndyFab XS with full Super Record 11, Lightweight Obermeiers and a pair of AX 24s for the windy days. THM Cavicular cranks with FibreLyte rings, Scapula SP fork. AX finishing kit, AX3000 brakes. Look Keo Blade Ti pedals. Oh wait, too much?

On a more sensible note my Dad just purchases a full custom Enigma Echo made by the lads in Brighton spcced with a mix of super record and record. Wheels; hand built open pro ceramics laced to American Classic front and rear hubs with DT Aerolite spokes. I have to say that it is a very fine frame, smooth and pretty stiff too. Oh and SR11 is just sublime!!!

Max
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    according to this post http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight= you've been thinking about blowing your wad on a bike for the past 16 months

Maybe you should just get on with it and stop keeping us all in suspense
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    A Look 695 has got me tempted to, I'm struggling to to decide if I like the Mondrian colour scheme option though. I think it could end up like Bianchi Celeste, nice at first but ultimately difficult to live with...
  • kfinlay
    dawebbo wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

could be right considering he spends his money on his wife and seems to have been thinking about this for 16 months?
    Kev

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    kfinlay wrote:
    dawebbo wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

could be right considering he spends his money on his wife and seems to have been thinking about this for 16 months?

yes if I had that cash to spend on a bike it would take me about 16 HOURS
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    nferrar wrote:
    A Look 695 has got me tempted to, I'm struggling to to decide if I like the Mondrian colour scheme option though. I think it could end up like Bianchi Celeste, nice at first but ultimately difficult to live with...
    this is the exact problem im having. even though it matches my club kit and stuff i still cant decide whether i like the mondrian.
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    nferrar wrote:
    this is the exact problem im having. even though it matches my club kit and stuff i still cant decide whether i like the mondrian.

Go for it. At least it isn't red, white and black :lol:
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    cervelo s3
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

just like my current bike :lol:

it will match club kit perfectly as well.
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

just like my current bike :lol:

Well of course it is. It is (or appears to be) compuslory to have a red white and black bike. Can't think how else one of my bikes ended up red, white and black.....

Now off you pop and don't come back til you've pressed the 'go' button :wink:
  • kfinlay
    I'm looking at getting a new frame and it's white, black and red just to be different from the red, white and black crowd :wink:
    Kev

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    MCipollini.

I'm very happy with my Basso and that was a bit of extravagence on my part having sold my race R1. Like you I wanted a nice looking bike with decent components, but alas I didn't have your budget otherwise I'd have gone for a MCipollini RB1000 with Di2. I wouldn't do it justice but I wouldn't care.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.