5k to 6k for bike

w2darren
w2darren Posts: 51
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
i,m lucky enough to have the above amount for a new bike, i ride about about 3 to 4 time a week between 30k to 100k, i know i don't need to spend this amount, but i want a very good looking bike with first class components (dura ace) and build to last, my choice so far is

look 695

trek madone 6.7

van nicholas : Astraeus ( titanium )

Just lately i have been edging towards the astraeus

Any advice is welcome

thanks darren

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go and ride some. I wouldnt spend that much on a bike without testing it. Pay for a proper fit first too...
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2011
    Doppfle Posten.
  • Couldnt agree with NapoleanD more. Get a really good bike fit. One that understands exactly what time of rider you are, what sort of position you ride in, Areo? Sportif?

At this sort of money they will all be good, or at least they should be. Its what you want from a bike?

695: very stiff, so not the best for comfort. but you might be ok. quite rare, ive never seen one on the road. Very French. probably a good thing... lots of show and lots of go!

Madone: lost of choice, do you wana look like a lance? maybe... your hardly going to be stood at the line of a sportif thinking; im the only guy here with this bike... whats worse for me, is that they have over done it and now there is a madone for every budget, so you could end up next to a guy on a bike that looks just like yours but cost him, £1500, he then turns to you and says; hay we've got the same bike!, except his came from a chain store, is not the right size for him, is set up all wrong, and hes got mtb pedals on...
    the most amount of show, quite a lot of go?

Van Nicholas: now your talking. lovely titanium. classy. and rare. never ridden one though... little show (unless you know), fair bit of go...

id want a bike built for me, for the money your looking at, id want something slightly unique... do you want to look like your on a tour? or melt into the back ground? do you ride in a liquigas team strip? or grey & black assos and Rapha? The bike should at least try and reflect this...

id budget about £4K for the bike and the rest for extras,

like:

two or three sets of wheels, one of which would be Zipp 303 tubs, maybe hope hubs on mavic open pros for if you get there and it tips it down with rain, and maybe something else; lightweight, R-SYS SSC

Gears; maybe get campy 11, and get three ti blocks; 11-25, 12-27, 12-29. and some nice park tools to change them on the day. expensive stuff but this is a dream bike right? so why not have a dream choice of gears?

Id buy a cannondale, but im bias.... i love green!!!!

best of luck, and enjoy, there cant be many people like you about right now....
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

I love my Cannondale and would be hard put to replace it with another brand. But at this price level I've not seen a 'dale I feel is "special" enough. Prove me wrong :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    unixnerd wrote:

I love my Cannondale and would be hard put to replace it with another brand. But at this price level I've not seen a 'dale I feel is "special" enough. Prove me wrong :-)

Supersix Hi-Mod Team is 'special' enough. Whether it's right for the OP though is another matter entirely.
  • Kiwi_rich
    Kiwi_rich Posts: 68
    I just spent a similar amount on a colnago C59, graduating from a cannondale caad 8. It is a fantastic bike, no looking back. Got it last weekend so only been on a couple of rides but very happy.

Only problem is that you will have to wait 10+ wks for delivery.
  • marlin151
    marlin151 Posts: 52
    Cervelo S3 or R5 depending on whether you mainly roll (S3) or climb (R5).
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Take a trip to http://www.worldwidecycles.com/brands.html

And then get fitted up for a made t measure carbon Viner - at your budget you might even stretch to the Maxima RS!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • VINER
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Colango with Di2 :D
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    canyon ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Team?
    More to spend on extras too!! :D:D
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    colnago must demand consideration. Also don't forget the wilier cento uno - this is a great bike.

Then again, £6-£7k for a bike - presumably you can get adequate insurance should you have the misfortune of coming a cropper? And I don't just mean third party cover...

Peter
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Viners look awful and the OP wants a good looking bike. I would have the Look or a stainless Pegoretti.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,202
    what type of riding? are you after something superlight/stiff carbon?

or something different from one of the less common brands? custom frame, choose all the bits, paintjob of your choice, etc.

this thread starts with titanium, but there's also a hint of steel in there...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... torder=asc
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    VINER

+100.

I guess the OP just wants the best 'popular' bike though and isn't interested in something with some real style... :wink:
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Tricky one really - there's loads of good looking bikes available in that range. personally I'd be torn between getting the best frame possible (something like a Parlee, Storck, Look, Time or Colnago) and then having to compromise slightly on the wheels/components. Or just get a something based around a £2kish frame and blow the rest on getting Di2 and bling wheels. What sucks is the more you want to spend the less chance you have of getting a test ride :(
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Are you planning to race it?

If it were me, for racing, I'd get a highish end Cannondale and a great set of wheels.

If I just wanted a lovely bike to ride around on, I'd look into a really nice titanium bike like the Astraeus .
  • Chip \'oyler
    Viners look awful and the OP wants a good looking bike. I would have the Look or a stainless Pegoretti.

You keep to a bike that looks good. I'll stick to a bike that rides good. :wink:

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Colnago Master x lite/55 with full SR and some very pimpy wheels and finishing kit.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    parlee z5, zipps, super-record and some nice finishing kit.
  • Anonymous
    Hand made custom Feather in an industrial theme with Quarq Red and Edge (Enve) wheels, fork and finishing kit.
    Trip to the Alps/Pyrenees
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

You keep to a bike that looks good. I'll stick to a bike that rides good. :wink:

We know you love your Viners but slagging the opposition off isn't helping your argument :wink:

To be fair on Viner, I think (hard to be sure as finding a working Viner link isn't easy!) that some of their colour schemes this year are more tasteful than in the past. As Look don't provide for my geometry anymore, I suspect I'd go there if I needed a new frame (but that wouldn't be because my Look doesn't 'ride good'......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    I'm not a fan of the junction of top tube and seat tube on the Viner, reminds me of a GT BMX

gt-04-zone-bmx-bikes.jpg
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited April 2011
    A custom raw finish Reynolds 953, with subtle components, something similar to this:

kelly-bedford-reynolds-chromo-roadbike01.jpg

I'm not keen on slopping top tubes, high seats tubes and designers trying to be creative with carbon, just because they can.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the junction of top tube and seat tube on the Viner, reminds me of a GT BMX

gt-04-zone-bmx-bikes.jpg

That's only on the Maxima and I think it is optional as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chip \'oyler
    Rolf F wrote:

We know you love your Viners but slagging the opposition off isn't helping your argument :wink:

To be fair on Viner, I think (hard to be sure as finding a working Viner link isn't easy!) that some of their colour schemes this year are more tasteful than in the past. As Look don't provide for my geometry anymore, I suspect I'd go there if I needed a new frame (but that wouldn't be because my Look doesn't 'ride good'......)

My comment was tongue in cheek :) Pegoretti's and Look's are brilliant frames. And being honest I've never been a big fan of the Viner colour scheme's (in fact I got my Maxima custom sprayed) but as you say they're recent scheme's are a lot more tasteful.

• Chip \'oyler
    Rolf F wrote:

My comment was tongue in cheek :) Pegoretti's and Look's are brilliant frames. And being honest I've never been a big fan of the Viner colour scheme's (in fact I got my Maxima custom sprayed) but as you say they're recent scheme's are a lot more tasteful.

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spending that much is as much about the experience. It also depends on how long you're planning to keep the bike.

Firstly, if you're gonna pay £5k plus for a bike, why buy one that looks like it cost £1k? That dispenses with the Cannondales, Treks, Specialized and so forth..

Whilst a Pegoretti Responsorium is a fantastic bike, you might have to wait a bit for custom - 2 years? (Don't whatever you do go to Mosquito)

Everyone raves about Viners - skip the middle man, fly down to Bergamo and get a fitting and custom-built bike from Marco Bertoletti (who makes the Viners).

For something really different, what about a Speedvagen?

For ti, you should be looking at Moots, Dean, Passoni, Lynskey, Seven, DeRosa etc

There's ain't much wrong with the C59 either, but with Super Record or Di2 you'll need to save some more for the wheels..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    A Felt AR1 would be on my list.

It looks stunning in the flesh.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro