what is a good pay rise?

13»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm going to offer some rare actual advice, pay attention.

Take care in jumping from job to job for career progression ie money unless you really need to, I say this because almost 25 years after starting my career and having lived through the heady early IT Internet days when we were paid more than bankers and every other phone call was a headhunter, this will make your CV look dodgy to say the least.

I frequently find myself explaining (lie) why none of my jobs last longer than 3 years, what am I meant to say ...? I was offered £££££££ so I moved?

As for spending more than what you earn, you always will - accept it.
    ITB I get what you're saying. Depends on your job and where you are in your career.

Me, I'm getting to the point where moving around frequently will begin to be counter productive.

Any kind of payrise is appreciated. - I should have said that first.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    itboffin wrote:

Not since 1986. And proud of it.
    I nearly buckled under the stress back then. Never again. No material object is worth it. If you need credit, you can't afford it. House excepted but even then it has to be controlled. There is always an alternative. Preach over :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Why not move then?

(Edit - Sorry aimed at the angry public sector man one post up.)

Haha I should change my name. :wink: I do mention in there that there isn't a local option & moving would mean uprooting my family. Not something I want to do & TBH the thrust was not to moan about my lot but cos I'm sick to the back teeth of this public sector sitting pretty myth as if we're all on a par with MPs or council chief execs ot MOD types apparently or any of the other absolute top of the tree rarity jobs that get bandied about as somehow typical of all of us in this mythical single entity 'the public sector'

Its like chucking abuse at a RBS teller for Fred Goodwins misdemeanours or blaming the Tesco till operator for putting little local shops to the wall
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a slightly strange job, there are only currently about 200 people in the country that have the experience to do it, so when we are in demand, salaries are very buoyant, fortunately we've been in demand now for about the last 8 years with no let up in site, salary rise this year just over 5% (on top of what I already think is over-inflated when compared to my peers who went into different fields) as a new player has started up and increased demand by about 10 engineers in one go.

Vacancies are only filled right now by scalping someone from somewhere else.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • what do you do? (if you dont mind sharing, else just ignoe me)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    The change to the tax threshold and NI which kicked in from 5 April have resulted in a net increase in my take home pay of £11.20 per month.

This will pay for the potential university fees for my 4 kids in only 1130 easy years

Cheers Mr Clegg, you're alright!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:

Not sure I subscribe to that school of thinking.

I think you will always owe money in some fashion. Car loan, Mortgage, general loan of some kind: Daughters wedding/house repairs etc.

But living beyond your means each month is something I don't agree with.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • a smidge above inflation ??

anything that leaves you a little better off than you were last tax year. rather than a "rise" that means you aearn less in real terms this year than last.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    a smidge above inflation ??

anything that leaves you a little better off than you were last tax year. rather than a "rise" that means you aearn less in real terms this year than last.

I assumed that a rise was always inflation adjusted...
  • daviesee

Sorry Rick but you assumed wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:

Sorry Rick but you assumed wrong.

Pfft, fair enough. I would expect AT LEAST inflation adjusted, and would kick up a fuss if it wasn't. I already had my carefully explained arguments planned out in my head in case I didn't get at least inflation adjusted.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    what do you do? (if you dont mind sharing, else just ignoe me)
    No worries, I'm what we call a calibration engineer, but its probably not what you expect, I put values into engine management systems so that a cars engine starts and runs as it should, produce as low pollutants as possible and have as low a fuel consumption as possible, not to mention satsifying all the other regulatory and customer requirements.
    My Degree was in mechanical engineering and is of no help (most the time anyway) to me in doing the job!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391

Heehee. Once upon a time maybe, but now only if you're lucky. When inflation was around 2%, it wasn't a big deal, but it's nearer 5% now (depending on which measure you use). For the company, it'll be more than 5% with NIC, so quite a lot to add to a company's costs, especially if you can't put your prices up accordingly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    Pfft, fair enough. I would expect AT LEAST inflation adjusted, and would kick up a fuss if it wasn't.

Ah. The innocence of youth :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think you will always owe money in some fashion. Car loan, Mortgage, general loan of some kind: Daughters wedding/house repairs etc.

I've only ever borrowed for a house. Pretty much nothing else ever justifies a loan (unless interest free and you have the means to pay it off at the end of the interest free bit). Borrowing money for cars is a particularly silly game - second hand cars are so cheap now that it is easy to get a good one for less than you'd pay to insure it! This is half the problem - people think borrowing money for cars as the norm (probably it is!). It just isn't worth it though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    Pfft, fair enough. I would expect AT LEAST inflation adjusted, and would kick up a fuss if it wasn't.

Spoke to someone who's an MD at a medium sized consultancy firm, and they'd all just leave if they didn't adjust for inflation.

We were chatting about my pay discussion in April and he was surprised when I said "I hope they adjust for inflation"...

Went a bit like " :shock: Err, AT LEAST?!?!", so I figured that was pretty standard.
  • tailwindhome
    daviesee wrote:

Spoke to someone who's an MD at a medium sized consultancy firm, and they'd all just leave if they didn't adjust for inflation.

We were chatting about my pay discussion in April and he was surprised when I said "I hope they adjust for inflation"...

Went a bit like " :shock: Err, AT LEAST?!?!", so I figured that was pretty standard.

leaving only works if you have somewhere to go

most people don't
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Why not move then?

(Edit - Sorry aimed at the angry public sector man one post up.)

Haha I should change my name. :wink: I do mention in there that there isn't a local option & moving would mean uprooting my family. Not something I want to do & TBH the thrust was not to moan about my lot but cos I'm sick to the back teeth of this public sector sitting pretty myth as if we're all on a par with MPs or council chief execs ot MOD types apparently or any of the other absolute top of the tree rarity jobs that get bandied about as somehow typical of all of us in this mythical single entity 'the public sector'

Its like chucking abuse at a RBS teller for Fred Goodwins misdemeanours or blaming the Tesco till operator for putting little local shops to the wall

Just for the record: I agree there is a huge amount of diversity of role and circumstance in the Public Sector. There are an awful lot of people who work hard and have gained little in various departments - their are also a few who have "hidden" and come out with rather large pay packets.
    I am obviously comparing my circumstance to the nearest common denominator and it works out that I would be far batter off working in the MOD!

The unions used the public/private pay gap to negotiate some great deals for their members. Those deals are now ending and private sector pay and conditions need to catch up!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    daviesee wrote:

leaving only works if you have somewhere to go

most people don't

It also shows how much things vary from profession to profession.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    daviesee wrote:

Well, you've not been there very long. Initial pay rises reflect that your experience has increased quite a lot and are thus more likely to be able to get a job elsewhere. Replacing somebody costs the company quite a bit in terms of recruitment and wasted training.

Back in the day my salary went up by 50% in the first two years of employment. That just reflected the IT market of the time. It's a bit more commoditized these days. That said, there are still technology niches that can command megabux
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    We got 0.4% - which was 0.4% more than most of us expected :)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • tailwindhome
    RichK wrote:
    We got 0.4% - which was 0.4% more than most of us expected :)

As my Granda used to say "Don't spend it all in the one shop"
  • daviesee

No raise for me in the past 2 1/2 years (with or without inflation) and none expected until next year at least .

But then I am at the top end in my field so I am comfortable, there is no point in moving and I shouldn't complain. In fact I don't complain, I am just making the point.