what is a good pay rise?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think public vs private is difficult, different sectors do well at different times, and public sector seems to stay at (for example) 3.5% annual rises. Whereas a private company might pay 10% for a year, then 8% the next, then things go tits up and there's a year or two of static pay, then it's 4%, then 15%, then 5%.

When the public sector workers get smaller pay rises they're forgotten about, when they get bigger pay rises they become a target.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I stand corrected.. it was a while ago when I paid mine off and frankly can't remember how it came out. I remember getting a 1k raise and taking home less money.. I was not amused

I got another job and corrected that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I got 30% on top of my basic, but my performance related portion stayed the same so it's less than 30% in real terms. Not that I'm complaining! Although it's fair to say it was a promotion as I had to take extra work on for it.

How much is a 'good' payrise is difficult. If you're doing your job to a good standard and pretty much doing what you've always done you should get inflation really.

If you've improved through the year and are now producing much more for your employer you can ask for more, but you might not get it.

TBH with millions ether unemployed, working part-time or doing a job they're under qualified for it's a buyers market it's down to how much they want to keep you.

Give it a year though, if the recovery continues and the employment market opens up again it could be a golden age for pay rises (and the associated inflation)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In the end I got a 12.5% increase roughly quote]

Congratulations! - Genuine.

It is really an admission that you were underpaid to start with though. Next year will probably not compare.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I paid mine off
    Luckier than the youth of today :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    bails87 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I paid mine off
    Luckier than the youth of today :wink:

Older I think...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oh why do I post in these things.
    You in the 50% tax band, DDD? Blimey. Who says there's no fat to be trimmed from the NHS?

I call that 'The Greg County'. And no I'm no where near that sort of salary. One can aspire though.
    You could argue the reverse, that there's not much difference if you were paid £5000 less, you'd just cut a few costs elsewhere.

Well it would because £5,000 less would put me on a band lower than the one I'm on now which would be like taking a step back in my career.

Financially I just checked, it would mean £200 less from my disposable income, I would still be able to provide for my family which is essential and still save. Anything above that is luxury.
    ^^^^^^^ That. Very lucky that you cannot notice a £5,000 pay rise.

Depends on how you look at it.

My first job paid me £17,500 (£1,150). I got a pay rise to £19,000 (£1,250) and hardly noticed any difference. I was still living cheque to cheque and paying back bills ate into my monthly wages.

Moving from £22,000 (my final salary) to £28,000 (so £6,000 increase) made a huge difference in my opinion because I began earning more than what I found to be the minimum monthly wage to live comfortably in London at the time which is £1,500.

I've since moved on.

In the NHS you used to get a statutory pay rise, which was less than inflation. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one this year.

My perception also may be skewed a bit. I also tend to only focus on promotions and promotion related payrises due to where I am in my career.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    daviesee wrote:
    In the end I got a 12.5% increase roughly

Congratulations! - Genuine.

It is really an admission that you were underpaid to start with though. Next year will probably not compare.

Cheers.

I don't want to gloat (honest) but, compared to my peers, I was already very well paid > i think it's more a reflection of working in the city rather than any genuine talent or being underpaid.

Then again, I've never had a proper job before so > we'll see!
  • DonDaddyD
    Aidy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    £5k does work out at about £200/month if there's student loan repayments involved.

doesn't that come out of your bank account rather than through paye? otherwise we start taking rent etc it's about take home pay no?

Nah, it's PAYE'd. And based on the amount you earn above a given limit (so the more you earn, the more comes out).

At least mine is, possibly older systems aren't.

Aidy is right.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My first job paid me £17,500 (£1,150). I got a pay rise to £19,000 (£1,250) and hardly noticed any difference. I was still living cheque to cheque and paying back bills ate into my monthly wages.

Moving from £22,000 (my final salary) to £28,000 (so £6,000 increase) made a huge difference in my opinion because I began earning more than what I found to be the minimum monthly wage to live comfortably in London at the time which is £1,500.

I've since moved on..

For someone who wants a 'private life' you sure do post an awful lot about yourself!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I stand corrected.. it was a while ago when I paid mine off and frankly can't remember how it came out. I remember getting a 1k raise and taking home less money.. I was not amused

I got another job and corrected that
    I think this is why my pay rises meant nothing to me. It seems that whatever I was getting more was taken out so the pay rise itself felt nominal at best until I saw a £6,000. This of course was compounded on by my low salaries when i initially started working.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    The information has been leaked to staff here to expect a pay rise of 1%. (the old managing expectations trick).

Hard to know how to view this, on one hand we're in the middle of a recession which is still hitting Northern Ireland very hard, we're lucky to have jobs at all. On the other hand our company is very sucessful and continues to grow at a hell of a rate, and we have worked extraordinarily long unpaid hours this year to implement new systems.

1% is better than nothing...just about
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've since moved on..

For someone who wants a 'private life' you sure do post an awful lot about yourself!

I don't see it as being terribly personal or private to discuss what I used to earn years ago.

For it to be private it would have to be something I cherish or be meaningful to me. I've since moved on from those jobs and could care less about certain details like past salary - a bit like past relationships/exgirlfriends. I don't share what I hold dear and deem personal. These of course are subjective and probably different to what you cherish. For example, if I had children I wouldn't discuss them here. Likewise I don't, though you may think I do, discuss the finer details of my relationship with Ms DDD.

I also wouldn't reveal what my current salary is. That would currently be private.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've since moved on..

I don't see it as being terribly personal or private to discuss what I used to earn years ago.

For it to be private it would have to be something I cherish or be meaningful to me. I've since moved on from those jobs and could care less about certain details like past salary. I don't share what I hold dear and deem personal. These of course are subjective and probably different to what you cherish. For example, if I had children I wouldn't discuss them here. Likewise I don't, though you may think I do, discuss the finer details of my relationship with Ms DDD.

Hmmmm

Perhaps when I asked you on another thread what you had done prior to starting your 'first full time' at 24 1/2 the 'gap' was due to something awful and private which you didn't want to discuss. Perhaps it was that you were pi55ed because I made a little joke about a chubby middle manager

Who knows eh?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    The information has been leaked to staff here to expect a pay rise of 1%. (the old managing expectations trick).

Hard to know how to view this, on one hand we're in the middle of a recession which is still hitting Northern Ireland very hard, we're lucky to have jobs at all. On the other hand our company is very sucessful and continues to grow at a hell of a rate, and we have worked extraordinarily long unpaid hours this year to implement new systems.

1% is better than nothing...just about

A small business perspective: While the business where I work is doing alright now, wages in the architectural industry overall have dropped considerably from the peak just before the crash - when people could pretty much name their price - and while things are OK, they've not been OK for that long to justify splashing cash around just yet. So I'm in the grateful for what I can get camp. As said above, it varies considerably from industry to industry.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    Hmmmm

Perhaps when I asked you on another thread what you had done prior to starting your 'first full time' at 24 1/2 the 'gap' was due to something awful and private which you didn't want to discuss. Perhaps it was that you were pi55ed because I made a little joke about a chubby middle manager

Who knows eh?
    Er... come again.

What has that got to do with anything?

Things like this are not mutually exclusive. And in a nut shell. There are things I'm willing to discuss and things that I am not.

Things that are deemed private are subjective to the individual. Just because you might think they are private, like past salaries, doesn't mean that other people do. I earned £5.05 when I worked part time at Virgin Megastores when I was 18-19. Should that be be treated as a private matter? No. It was a past job much like when I earned £17,500 grand in my first job at 24. I'm 29 and have had a number of pay increments, pay rises, promotions and new jobs since. It hardly matters beyond being useful for the purpose of this discussion.

This is in no way linked to your jibe about being a middle manager or calling me chubby. While I thought that was a little too close to being a personal attack I could care less. There are more important things in my life than getting offended by some guy in Ireland that has never met me and knows very little about me beyond what is shared on a website. So I moved on and continued with that conversation until it came to an end.

I'm sorry if you haven't or are unable to move on from it. But I have and it, the questions you asked in that thread and what I may chose to share, in my mind, is in no way linked to this conversation.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    *sigh*
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm going to offer some rare actual advice, pay attention.

Take care in jumping from job to job for career progression ie money unless you really need to, I say this because almost 25 years after starting my career and having lived through the heady early IT Internet days when we were paid more than bankers and every other phone call was a headhunter, this will make your CV look dodgy to say the least.

I frequently find myself explaining (lie) why none of my jobs last longer than 3 years, what am I meant to say ...? I was offered £££££££ so I moved?

As for spending more than what you earn, you always will - accept it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    itboffin wrote:

Take care in jumping from job to job for career progression ie money unless you really need to, I say this because almost 25 years after starting my career and having lived through the heady early IT Internet days when we were paid more than bankers and every other phone call was a headhunter, this will make your CV look dodgy to say the least.

I frequently find myself explaining (lie) why none of my jobs last longer than 3 years, what am I meant to say ...? I was offered £££££££ so I moved?

Are senior people of director level (which IIRC you are) not expected to move often?

Obviously in an upward direction and not because of *incidents*
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    pay rise would be nice being made redundant in 8 days
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

Are senior people of director level (which IIRC you are) not expected to move often?

Nope tiz very uncool for companies to have there execs moving around a lot, also not so cool if a company I'm working from hires an exec with less experience than me for x times more then proceeds to get me to do their job.

Last company but one, really nice guy but spent to many years working for BT as CTO pah!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    It must be nice having a job, never mind looking at payrises.

I'm unemployed and job hunting.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hmmmm

Who knows eh?
    Er... come again.

What has that got to do with anything?

Things like this are not mutually exclusive. And in a nut shell. There are things I'm willing to discuss and things that I am not.

Things that are deemed private are subjective to the individual. Just because you might think they are private, like past salaries, doesn't mean that other people do. I earned £5.05 when I worked part time at Virgin Megastores when I was 18-19. Should that be be treated as a private matter? No. It was a past job much like when I earned £17,500 grand in my first job at 24. I'm 29 and have had a number of pay increments, pay rises, promotions and new jobs since. It hardly matters beyond being useful for the purpose of this discussion.

This is in no way linked to your jibe about being a middle manager or calling me chubby. While I thought that was a little too close to being a personal attack I could care less. There are more important things in my life than getting offended by some guy in Ireland that has never met me and knows very little about me beyond what is shared on a website. So I moved on and continued with that conversation until it came to an end.

I'm sorry if you haven't or are unable to move on from it. But I have and it, the questions you asked in that thread and what I may chose to share, in my mind, is in no way linked to this conversation.
    Blimey. Sounds like he touched a nerve there, Chubby.
  • Two years ago I got a £7k pay rise. This year it was £800 :(
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • If your payrise covers the cost of a nice new £1k bike on cycle scheme without effecting your income or standard of living....Nice!

Assuming that you get cycle scheme and you don't need the money to increase so you can feed yourself and pay for a roof overhead.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    My earnings April 2010-April 2011 are significantly more than the previous tax year's earnings. At this point I couldn't possibly say whether it's through working more hours or through taking on better paid hours, but given I now have a workable system I'll have that information next time I'm interested...

Sometimes I wish I worked a 9-5 job, but most of the time I remember that I love doing what I do, and love working for myself.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Hmmm - Case and example.

I hit the ceiling of my pay scale at my previous job.

Even though my performance review was very good, I was told that I could not have a payrise as they could not put me on the next scale. I had to wait for everyone else at my grade to catch up......

However, I did get good bonuses - when my boss wasn't being a tw@t.

So, I left that company and went to a massive company.

I now earn a bit more money, but the massive company I am in has not given out payrises for something like 6 years - according to my long term colleagues. Bonuses have been paid half yearly amounting to £50 for a great performance review.

Effectively, I have taken pay cuts (with shite payrises) for about 6 to 8 years now with the rate of inflation and cost of living. Even with very good performance reviews; the private sector is simply lining a few pockets further up the chain from me.

I have definitely found life financially harder this year, so far.

On the flipside to this - One of my mates works for the MOD. He is just below me in the organisational charts (kinda comparable) - Earns £12,000 more per annum than I do and has a fixed payrise for the next 2 years (3.7%). He is also on a bonus scheme that is still paying out in the "thousands". He also takes Fridays off for childcare reasons by flexing his hours - I am not allowed to do this, although I can flex my daily hours a bit.

IMHO - Public sector pay out stripped private sector pay and condition around 6 years ago. Fixed high percentage payrises without performance relationship - development of Public Sector bonus schemes and some great pension benefits and flexi working benefits.

And now the public sector cannot support the infrastructure and employee expectation it created, that is paid for, in part, by the Private Sector....

Ultimately - Pay has not kept up with living costs for the average worker. But for a few top end people, the world has become a very luxurious place. And quite a few Public Sector employees have had a well paid and easy few years.

Oh FFS the public sector is not like the rainbow house, we don't all live work and play together and pay & conditions vary dramatically under the public sector banner.

I'd give body parts to have your mates perks or a judges or GPs or etc etc. I hit the top of my grade years ago and there is no flexibility on that, I've not had a 'cost of living' pay rise within 1% of inflation in over a decade, my pay in real terms has fallen by thousands in that time & pay now totally frozen for at least 2 years but my job is specialist and I do not have the luxury of voting with my feet or a competitor in the same line of work without totally uprooting my family.

And to save any misconceptions that the pay is great to start with, I'm not into 40% bracket and comparing my whole organization, I'm in one of the best paid jobs.

I do not get any sort of bonus or perk regardless of performance — which in my case has always been comfortably in the top quartile and because I work 7 day shifts any flexible working I am allowed is barred at weekends & at the discretion of my managers & can be rescinded after being agreed during the week.

I try not to get hung up on what other people earn & find it baffling and frustrating that there is a seemingly institutonalised ignorance or refusal to accept that very few people in public service meet this: wiping their @rse on £50 notes stereotype you're perpetuating here.

Back to topic OP grab what you can and enjoy spending ot
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Nope tiz very uncool for companies to have there execs moving around a lot, also not so cool if a company I'm working from hires an exec with less experience than me for x times more then proceeds to get me to do their job.

Last company but one, really nice guy but spent to many years working for BT as CTO pah!

A bit of a contradiction there, no? :wink:
    In my opinion it is best not to stay past 4 years as after that it gets stale and either the company abuses you or you get lax. But it's just an opinion based on what I've seen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Why not move then?

(Edit - Sorry aimed at the angry public sector man one post up.)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:

I don't! (Did spend a long time watching the pennies to pay the mortgage off which has made a huge difference - ironically, now it wouldn't matter how much I was paid in absolute terms - I still wouldn't be able to get a mortgage on my house even though I bought it 10 years ago on a fair bit lower salary. Ridiculous really).
    Faster than a tent.......