WHY OH WHY MUST SOME CYCLISTS SWARM TO THE ASL AT ALL COSTS.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
WHY OH WHY MUST SOME CYCLISTS SWARM TO THE ASL AT ALL COSTS.

Effing, friggen, effing hell man!!! Seriously!

Normally I don't mind. But when I'm waiting behind a effing large as nuts lorry DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT! ASK ME TO SHUFFLE UP ANY (that's left or right) SIDE OF A LORRY WHEN STOPPED AT THE LIGHTS you monumental bell end! I'm waiting behind it - leaving space incase it rolls back - in primary as that is the safest place to be.

Then at Clapham Common lights/ASL, I'm standing to the left of a bunch of motorcycles and behind a group of cyclist and yes granted there was a space to my right within the group of motorcycles - rather not be surrounded by motorcycles thank you! This stupid bint then pushes her way into the little spot of space surrounded by motorcycles.

The spot of blue tarmac doesn't feel so safe now does it?

You do not need to occupy every available space it is not a F*CKING TRAIN!!! You spanner!

But the icing on the cake at another set of lights she ploughs her way to the front of everyone, lights go green and she holds up everyone up!

Seriously what goes through these peoples minds. Cycling along approaching lights...

"ARRGGGHHH!!! Lights are red must get to the ASL at all costs...." F*cking lemmings!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Belongs in the rants thread................
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Agree. My rants over the last 3 days have all been towards other cyclists :(

A shame, maybe I'm starting to get road rage on the bike, but I just want to shout that these idiots.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    NO NO NO. YOU'RE WRONG. IT'S SAFER TO BE AT THE FRONT AS YOU CAN BE SEEN EASIER!!!

(Just kidding :lol:)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Were they wearing a helmet and hi-viz?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Make them wear number plates, then we'll know who they are.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

True, no motor vehicle has ever been involved in any breach of the law because of number plates.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    bails87 wrote:

True, no motor vehicle has ever been involved in any breach of the law because of number plates.

Wrong. No motor vehicle has ever been involved in any breach of the law because of driving tests.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    bails87 wrote:

Unless of course the law broken pertains to the legally of said number plate
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Good rant.

There will be a new underground cycle movement. Those of us that now avoid cycle superhighways and routes with lots of nodders.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Just chill a bit, let them go then blast past them. It is annoying but life is too short blah blah blah

Note: I seem to be getting past the shouting phase now it's only taken 3 years!

Personally I think it's great seeing a the bus lane full of cyclists on CS7 as far as the eye can see. That being said this morning I turned off at Clapham Common and hit the Embankment instead because I could face it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Unless of course the law broken pertains to the legally of said number plate

How dare you make these wild accusations against our glorious drivers?!
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Good rant.

There will be a new underground cycle movement.

You'll probably get in the way of the trains.
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    Good rant.

You're assuming the trains underground would actually be moving.

That's a big assumption to make.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    Good rant.

You're assuming the trains underground would actually be moving.

That's a big assumption to make.

Ok, then the trains will probably get in your way :wink:
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    Just chill a bit, let them go then blast past them. It is annoying but life is too short blah blah blah

Yes this was fine in the past however:

1). If on a superhighway cars will not give room or give way for you to go round the slower cyclist. Balham to Clapham South, just before Balham hill for example.

2). With a higher number of cyclist and everyone trying to the overtake the slow cyclist its mayham. Normally you get some plonker who moves out to overtake but does so so slowly as to match the slow riders speed. This forcing you further into the single lane of runsh hour traffic.

Personally I think it's great seeing a the bus lane full of cyclists on CS7 as far as the eye can see. That being said this morning I turned off at Clapham Common and hit the Embankment instead because I could face it.

I enjoy seeing the high number of cyclists. I don't relish the higher number of plonkers.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

1). If on a superhighway cars will not give room or give way for you to go round the slower cyclist. Balham to Clapham South, just before Balham hill for example.

2). With a higher number of cyclist and everyone trying to the overtake the slow cyclist its mayham. Normally you get some plonker who moves out to overtake but does so so slowly as to match the slow riders speed. This forcing you further into the single lane of runsh hour traffic.

I enjoy seeing the high number of cyclists. I don't relish the higher number of plonkers.

Hmmmm DDD it sounds like London is getting congested with cycles.

Maybe we could find some way of controlling this congestion?

Do you think a charge for cycling in London would be a good idea? This way only the people who need to be in London at rush hour would be on the road.

It could be called the Cycle Congestion Charge or CCC.

I was inspired by your name, so whatever happens is your fault.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The DDD CCC for BBB

(Boris Bikes & Beginners)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    With a higher number of cyclist and everyone trying to the overtake the slow cyclist its mayham. Normally you get some plonker who moves out to overtake but does so so slowly as to match the slow riders speed. This forcing you further into the single lane of runsh hour traffic.

I have to agree with DDD here. Riding along Clapham Commom South today, on more than one occasion I had to ride primary in the overtaking lane to get past.

But hey, it's no big deal, the sun is shining, the weather is sweet, make you want to move your clipped in feet!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I've always found that there's plenty of room to overtake through Tooting and Balham; it's a bit tight coming into Clapham South, but you can just blast past when you get to the wider bus lane up the 'hill'. TBH that bit between Waitrose and the bottom of the 'hill' is too narrow for riding quickly even if there are no other cyclists around - too many crossings and turnings. Once on to the Common, there's a big gap in the CS anyway, so just ride primary, then hang a left across the Common - the cycle path or Rookery Rd - for some trees and ponds and sh*t. If you insist on following CS7 through Clapham High St, then you've only your self to blame - was a scrum long before CS7 was a twinkle in Ken's eye.

Oh, and stop shouting - I'm grumpy enough already today.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Perhaps we've reached the point where going the direct route for certain journies is becoming a pain as cycling becomes more popular. Like car drivers, we'll have to start using back roads to avoid choke points.
  • DonDaddyD
    Look all I want is for people to be made aware of sensible ridng in London and that, like driving, they have a responsibility not to be a danger to themselves or others.

The stuff I'm seeing on the road isn't just harmful annoyance. Some of it is outright stupidity that challenges the notions of safety. Devoid of common sense it seems that there are some who once on a bike cannot focus on anything but going foward even if doing so is pointless and dangerous.

There is no point desperately trying to get to the ASL if you don't have enough time to get there and doing so leaves you in the kill zone of a HGV, Van, Bus. Don't ask others to ride their bike through their just so you can get to the ASL. There is a clear space behind the vehicle from where you can wait.

If you are going to ride, be aware. Be aware that not only cars overtake on the right. Be aware that ifyou get overtaken and then go to the front of the queue then all those cyclists will have to overtake you again and overtaking in London at times, isn't easy.

Similarly, don't draft so close as to leave no braking distance with the exception of skidding. Don't draft so close that when the rider in front looks over his shoulder he cannot see anything behind him except you. I don't care how awesome it must feel to keep up with a lycra'd up roadie using race shoes. It's a commute not a Sportive. Don't f*cking draft in traffic.

Seriously, sometimes its like being on the M25 with a bunch of learner drivers.

There is a whole plethora of information out there that advises on sensible riding/cycling. How it escapes people I simply don't know.
    Food Chain number = 4

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Perhaps it would be a good time to actually point it out to Boris, who said "If there were more cyclists, Cycle Superhighways would be separate lanes". Perhaps we've just reached the point where a bit of blue paint is not enough and a whole lane should be dedicated just to cyclists.
  • Have to admit, this is one of my pet peeves too. Usually at the ASL at the western end if Viccy Embankment, under Big Ben. You sit there, and some utter chob will insist on squeezing up the left so they can sit in the ASL right in front of me.

I also hate tossers who decide that the best place to stand at the baggage carousel is between me and it, and (back in the day), tossers who think the best place to peruse videos in the video shop was between me and the shelf. These people deserve a footprint in the middle of their back.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    ndru wrote:
    Perhaps it would be a good time to actually point it out to Boris, who said "If there were more cyclists, Cycle Superhighways would be separate lanes". Perhaps we've just reached the point where a bit of blue paint is not enough and a whole lane should be dedicated just to cyclists.

The words 'devil' and 'skating' spring to mind - the CS routes generally follow main roads along which there are frequent pinch points that can only really be sorted out by demolishing buildings to widen the road. That is not going to happen. London is never going to be like Copenhagen, however much we might want it to be.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    I also hate tossers who decide that the best place to stand at the baggage carousel is between me and it, and (back in the day), tossers who think the best place to peruse videos in the video shop was between me and the shelf. These people deserve a footprint in the middle of their back.

wouldn't that put your back out?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sketchley
    @DDD or is that -veD or 1/D not sure anymore....

I agree. I challenged an idiot a couple of week back. North E&C roundabout turning on to Borough High Street, I'm folling a lorry knowing full well as it turns left the gap available will shrink, so I slow almost to a stop as I'm not ricking that.

Bike comes up my inside (note he's seen that i've stopped) and proceeds to go down left hand side of lorry and is nearly (very nearly) taken out.

So I chase him down tell him it was obvious that was going to happen, to ask him why did he think I had stopped, and to watch out of he'll get himself killed. Pointing out as well that I normally wouldn't say anything but he nearly got himself killed. (Yes it was that close). His response "it was the lorry drivers fault as he had all the road off to his right he didn't need to cut the corner". Complete idiot from the I'd rather be right than alive camp.
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    DDD, maybe you should just cycle faster? At Vauxhall Bridge lights this morning there must have been at least 25 cyclists, most of them nodders, and they had taken up a lane and a half. I just took primary in the second lane and overtook them all. Easy :P
  • sketchley
    ndru wrote:

Good point, there will come a time when "there are too many cyclist on the road". Motoring organisation and motorist will argue for something to be done. A congestion charge for cycling would be impossible to implement and I can't see the political will to reduce the number of cyclist being there. (note I maybe wrong on this if there are enough non cylcing voters to make it popular) . The only options are dedicated lanes or roads and or a reduction in motor vehicals. First steps I hope will be things like HGV and commercial vehical bans on cycle super highways, shortly followed by private vehicals, then motorbikes, taxis, & finally buses. My only concern for this would be cyclist riding on non-dedicated road being the target for driver anger because they cannot use the dedicated route.

For what it's worth I actually do not think we are that far away from some of those. We may well start seeing critical mass this summer.
    --
    Chris

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    rjsterry wrote:
    ndru wrote:

The words 'devil' and 'skating' spring to mind - the CS routes generally follow main roads along which there are frequent pinch points that can only really be sorted out by demolishing buildings to widen the road. That is not going to happen. London is never going to be like Copenhagen, however much we might want it to be.

I haven't checked all of CS7 but it seems to me that 2 lanes for traffic and 2 lanes for bicycles are easily doable on the whole route. If not logic would suggest that with numbers of cyclists that high we should have one lane for cars and two lanes for cyclists. I think the barrier is only in our minds.

CS3 is almost all of road - sure some bits are crap and should be upgraded, but it seems it can be done.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It is a bit annoying yes, but not half as annoying as the motorcyclists who do the same thing.

I do get pretty annoyed when motorcyclists have to be within the cycle box at all costs, even if it does mean pushing a few cyclists out of the way.