Fear of mugging?

Phillw454
Phillw454 Posts: 101
edited April 2011 in MTB general
I was wondering do any other bikers fear of being mugged?

I don't live in a bad city as such or a bad area of that city, but I still find it a slight worry going out on a ride alone usually in deep woods with an expensive bike, a few good spares plus Iphone etc.

Does anyone else worry about this? A few times Iv even taken an old phone with me just incase. Am I being paranoid or is there a threat of MTB muggers?

Never happen'd to me or anyone I know but has played on my mind lately.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Think you're more likely to get mugged in town. Muggers can't be arsed to hang around in deep woods.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Phillw454
    Yeah Iv gave up on town these days. Still after such a break from the MTB scene I have a fear of gangs of *chavs* camping on tracks, which is odd cause I never had that with a bike worth twice as much.

Maybe just getting used to the scene again and all the bad stuff in the news these days. Must be growing up :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seen some people I'd rather avoid on canal paths, but never in real woods/hills etc.
    Fortunately rarely on the canals unless it's to link some decent bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    You serious? where do you live, Miami, Myrthir Tydfil? Best take a 9mm with you..
  • GT_Ollie
    GT_Ollie Posts: 23
    i know exactly what your thinking, i think the exact same thing, i got chased by 3 nob heads on bmx's they had no chance of keeping up, i lost them shortly afterwards but i got an epic adrenalin rush, so now i go a slightly longer safer route along the main routes, lol either that or a huge knife in the bag. lol, might get arrested so decided on the longer route, haha
  • Phillw454
    Yeah I tend to always carry mulitool with me but seems this day and age if you dare even produce it you end up in the dock never the attacker. Which is half my point.

At least when I was big into my cars I could carry a 24" stainless *Leaver* bar, but just feel a bit exposed on a bike.

Must just be my own paranoia as I've never really seen too many bad people on a track let alone in the woods, just wondered if anyone had anyone advice of a bad exp to share.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've never really thought about it to be honest! I'm more worried about getting mugged when i'm carrying my macbook about because even though it's insured, it has all my work etc on there, though i do back it up fairly regularly.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Man up, son.

Why do you want advice from a bad experience? That will just make it worth. I have left my bag/wallet/phone houndreds of times on the sides of trails, came back and it was either still there, or a few hours later I got a call saying hey I just found your phone and dialed the home number. Normally only decent people are out riding in the woods.
  • freeagent
    freeagent Posts: 98
    To be honest peoples dogs bother me more than muggers... if some little rat tried to have my bike off me i'd certainly fight my corner (i'm a big lad and look a bit rough, even though i'm a soft sh*te) however i've been chased by a couple of big dogs lately and that really bothers me.. I really want to stop and give them a kick, but don't want to get bitten!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I'm not exactly packing heat when I go out but I take a personal attack alarm, some pepper spray and a small hunting knife. Mainly for solo night rides in October - the stags will have a pop at anything.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Phillw454 wrote:
    Yeah I tend to always carry mulitool with me but seems this day and age if you dare even produce it you end up in the dock never the attacker. Which is half my point.

No you don't. Unless of course you think that you're Charles Bronson and everyone who looks 'a bit funny' to you is a street punk.

Do you really think you're going to have time to stop, take your camelbax off/faff about getting a mutlitool out of your pocket, open it, unfold the knife and then say "ok, you can attack me now"?

If someone wants your bike it'll be a smash and grab type thing, not a blair witch style pursuit through the woods. But it probably won't happen at all. Chavs don't tend to hide in the woods on the off chance a lone MTBer comes through slow enough to be caught. They'll have far more luck in the trail centre car park, walking off with abandoned bikes when people go into the cafe.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    Where I ride is quite rough, its through woods alongside a river and it leads into a disuesd quarry which is great for jumps and drops but attracts a lot of chav n*b heads on motorbikes!

I usually just give em a nod and carry on about my business.

I did get shot at by some tw@t with an air rifle yesterday though, from the opposite side of the river, I got so angry that I wanted to go all the way back around to the other side and head butt him on the nose with my helmet!

I soon decided against the dangerous idea and set off riding again at speed to dodge any more pellets!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • cooldad wrote:
    Think you're more likely to get mugged in town. Muggers can't be arsed to hang around in deep woods.

you forget that the woods are the best placed to smoke pot, all those green trees make for a unreal exsperience 8)

But tbh there isnt much you can do, just be aware of what is going on around you, and also not having a big mouth like some people do.
    "ow yer lisen up guys, i just got this brand new bike, it cost me £2,000, isnt it amazing? im such a tough guy when i ride it ect ect"

5 mins later "wheres my bike gone, i just put it down to take out my I -Phone from backpack"...

3 secs later "wheres my I-Phone" :roll:

Im in North london and had about 6 times people say, "thats a nice bike, you want to sell it to me"....ofc i know what they trying to do, but tbh most of them are skinny kids and dont worry much about them, also i feel pretty hard when wearing my bike gear :P

Though i bet i look like a ...insert word
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • I live in a very safe area and I'm usuallly more afraid of sheperd dogs than people,but as they say better safe than sorry,I always carry my cute little Glock in my hydration pack. Of course I'm a bit paranoid,but again better safe than sorry.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    got to watch out for them Big "Ol" grizzlys pooping in them there woods.!! :lol:
  • This thread made me lol.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    This thread made me lol.

me aswell, scared incase i get mugged :lol: if i was to worry about that id either never go out the house or never buy anything of value
  • wesdev
    wesdev Posts: 104
    someone got their bike nicked from them a few years ago in Lordswood southampton.

If they tried that on me - im sure i'd go nuts..

Here are my options

if its 2k its going to be light..so use the bike as a weapon. lift the bike..use it as a barrier between you and the attacker charge the f**ker...
    or
    Headbutt the attacker with your helmet on.

P.S If you do get the mugger down.. dont foget to fleece him. Im sure he'll have some wonga and a phone on him too..Also take a picture of him and note their details.. bank card name, maybe he'll have his driving licence on him with his address. This is called counter intel.
    08 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • Where I ride is quite rough, its through woods alongside a river and it leads into a disuesd quarry which is great for jumps and drops but attracts a lot of chav n*b heads on motorbikes!

Steetly Quarry then :wink:
  • dedadayo
    dedadayo Posts: 4
    Can't say i have thought about it - I ride around the South/North Downs and rarely see anyone other than other MTB's.
    If you are worried join a group or go with at least one other - pick remote routes where these low lifes will not be bothered to walk to!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    never crossed my mind untill i got sent this to day...http://www.chorleycitizen.co.uk/news/89 ... t/?ref=rss

after my night rides i stop in my local wood to have my drink before my 4 miles hill climb hope
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    al2098 wrote:
    You serious? where do you live, Miami, Myrthir Tydfil? Best take a 9mm with you..
    Ah, Glock them, as opposed to D-lock them. :lol:
    Phillw454 wrote:
    At least when I was big into my cars I could carry a 24" stainless *Leaver* bar, but just feel a bit exposed on a bike.
    man the fugg up.

but, just to freak you out some more, a 2 foot steel bar will actually slow you down, so if someone REALLY wants to hurt you, you've just given them an advantage. they can swing a fist quicker than you can swing a bar, and they can also avoid the bar easier than your fists.
    Stay safe :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:

you forget that the woods are the best placed to smoke pot, all those green trees make for a unreal exsperience 8)
    And when you're really stoned, you won't be arsed about stealing anything, despite what those videos they showed you at school would have you believe.
  • I live in a pretty hardcore working class, semi-rural area. And various spots along the various trails I ride are regular hangouts for kids drinking, getting stoned, etc. And I generally find myself traveling through those areas a little faster..! Can't see me being mugged...their generally not that smart up here, tbh. But of course, there's the general need for them to look hard in front of their mates. Most of the time they'll be alright, but the sinister attitude stops me from staying and chatting with them..

I swear, there was a 10 year old kid (if that) the other day...that's a nice bike, that, how. Can I have it? ...where do you live?. Little tinker... Even worse, he was with what looked to be his Granddad at the time! Who was too busy dragging dead animals along in a sack to really care :?
  • Anonymous
    Maybe you should stop and share a doobie with them next time. Might chill you out a bit.
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    PapaLazar0u: Steetly it is! I'm guessing you've been then?!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    One of the advantages of being big and scary looking is that no-one in their right mind is going to think about stopping me/trying to mug me for my bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Itheir generally not that smart
    Write, thats good too no.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Itheir generally not that smart
    Write, thats good too no.