normalised power = FTP?

lef
lef Posts: 728
I've been using Hoggan as a source of info for training ('Training with a Power Meter') and read that normalised power can be used as a guide to threshold. I've used normalised power from a few fast paced group rides (only short periods at the front) and have set the zones from this.

However it doesn't mention whether to deduct 5% as it does for for the threshold tests. Just wondered whether using normailised power from group rides is an accurate solution for working out FTP?

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    For a full 1 hour effort, it certainly can be very good, no need to take a percentage.

However, some people will find themselves pretty unable to get close to their NP for 1 hour in a steady state situation so for them it may not be a great one.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • lef
    the group ride was about 2 hrs and the normalised power I was using was for the best 60 minutes. I was unsure if the drafting would skew the normalised power, though there wasn't much resting.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    lef wrote:
    the group ride was about 2 hrs and the normalised power I was using was for the best 60 minutes. I was unsure if the drafting would skew the normalised power, though there wasn't much resting.

You're still working regardless of if you're drafting or not.

However, you'll need to be careful if it's a ride with stops - as depending on how your PM and recording device are set up pauses may not be included in the calculations (e.g. ride for 20 minutes stop for 2 minutes at lights, ride for 20 minutes stop for 3 minutes ride for 60minutes would with some PM's and recording devices give only 60minute NP ignoring the fact that you were resting for another 5 minutes which would inflate what you could really do.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • NP from a very hard hour of riding is typically no more than 105% of FTP. Hence it can be one means to estimate FTP, or as I prefer, as a means to validate whether or not your FTP might have changed.

There are a few individuals who can generate a 1-hour NP > 105% of FTP but that is very unusual/rare.

As jibberjim says, make sure it's a contiguous effort you are looking at in the software.

Example:

Recently I estimated my FTP at 295W before going into some racing over last couple of weeks.

I did a 35 min TT with an average of 304W (103% of FTP estimate)

A week later I raced a 75-min race in which I deliberately worked hard and my 60-min max NP was 308W (104% of FTP estimate)

I'd say that was consistent with my FTP being 295-300W.
  • lef wrote:
    I've been using Hoggan
    BTW, it's Dr Coggan.
  • lef
    ha yes it is indeed Dr Coggan. I think I was getting confused with Steve Hogg.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    lef wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

I thought maybe you were referring to this guy:

hulk-hogan-photo.jpg

(I know it's spelled with one g only)
  • lef wrote:

Thanks for the advice.
    Ah, well Steve's a good guy too. Been fitting bikes to me for 15 years or thereabouts! He has a thing for special beers.