Help me with my bladder

psymon01
psymon01 Posts: 46
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Finally got around to getting a backpack with one of these fancy bladder thingies.

Only thing is...how do you keep yours clean? I've left mine to dry for a few days and there is still a small amount of liquid which hasn't evaporated (despite being left in a warm place).

So, how the hell to you dry the damn thing. Don't really want to start a biology experiment in my new kit!

Comments

• Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    psymon01 wrote:
    Finally got around to getting a backpack with one of these fancy bladder thingies.

Only thing is...how do you keep yours clean? I've left mine to dry for a few days and there is still a small amount of liquid which hasn't evaporated (despite being left in a warm place).

So, how the hell to you dry the damn thing. Don't really want to start a biology experiment in my new kit!

Once i've cleaned mine i empty it then store it in the freezer untill ready for the next ride, seems to work fine for me.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 frozen chip. Drain overnight and freeze. Mines been going a year and still perfectly clean.
    Heat and damp=bacteria and mould.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I don't even clean it, just lob it into the freezer again until next time
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just get most of the the water out of the valve, as water expands as it freezes and can damage the valve. A few drops won't do any harm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rippleman
    rippleman Posts: 27
    saved me asking the same question... just gotta go and get mine from the window sill and chuck it in the freezer :D
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    I put my camebakl in the freezer and the pipe broke in two when I got it out. It had frozen stiff no water the thing was empty
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    I use the camelbak cleaning kit to keep my bladder clean. The kit includes reservoir brush/ tube brush/ reservoir dryer and 2 cleaning tablets.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    + Potato for freezing. If mine's been festering in the garage for a few days before I get round to cleaning it, I sterilize it first with some Milton.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I don't clean mine. Never have in the 4 years I've had the camelbak and I'm not dead (yet).
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    I've had my Camelback Lobo 7 years now and never once cleaned it. Just use tap water in it and when I get back from riding I empty what's left in it and then put the unscrewed lid in the pocket and hang it up. Never had a problem doing this, just make sure the lid's removed. This includes a few months without use. 8)
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I dont use a camlebak anymore as I was carting around too much stuff.

Anyways, when I did use it, I cleaned it after the ride with hot soapy water and then hunt it to dry.

Bicarbonate of soda cleans it too, it dislodges any bits that stuck to the pipes and hard to reach areas if you have had juice in it etc. Cheaper than the official pill things Camblebaks do.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So the question is, how do you dry something, in that case let me explain.

How do you dry yourself post shower/bath?

So taking that method what could you do in this instance?

Has it clicked yet?

No? Well in that case I'll explain, its a genius idea I came up with after several hours of brainstorming, yes thats right use a dishcloth/small towel to dry it out, simply either ram it in or if you have small enough hands then you can push it in yourself.

Brilliant I know.
  • psymon01
    psymon01 Posts: 46
    Cheers guys some good ideas. Will try a few things out, got some bicarb of soda to keep it clean - just depends on how lazy I am at the time when it comes to drying the thing!
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    Briggo wrote:

No? Well in that case I'll explain, its a genius idea I came up with after several hours of brainstorming, yes thats right use a dishcloth/small towel to dry it out, simply either ram it in or if you have small enough hands then you can push it in yourself.

Brilliant I know.

Yeah, brilliant :roll:

I'd like to see you get your hands or any meaningful amount of towel inside the narrow opening on mine.

Although maybe you have something else which is suitably small that you could insert in there... :?:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    After a ride i drain the bag and tube put a pint or so of water back in the bladder and give it a good shake , i suck the water up the tube (and spit out). drain bladder and tube again, shake it all about and sling it in the freezer till the following week.

if it really does need a proper clean out after 4 months or so then I get those Boots "Baby sterilising tablets" 64 pack for £1.50 (or summat).
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Wash it through with water. Shake out as much water as you can. Leave it hanging with a couple of squares of loosely scrunched up kitchen roll in the main bag. After about 8 hrs remove the paper, the inside should be dry, put the whole shebang in the freezer.

I am still alive too, after three years of this.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Had mine over 3 years and i've only used Milton once.
    Drain it, fill with water, rinse it, do this a couple times, get out as much as poss and bang it in the freezer without drying, it really does work.
    Nicolai CC
  • Atz
    Do people really need to do all this? Fair play and all, but sounds like a lot of work to me :)
  • blister pus
    surprised you're not slumped on your keyboard and managed to type that, you must find breathing hard if you find rinsing a plastic bladder out with water and putting it in the freezer hard.
  • Atz
    It's INFINITELY harder than doing bugger all with it, which is what I've done for four years
  • blister pus
    if you're that dirty you've probably got worm aids anyways, you're probably immune to bacterial build up.
  • Atz
    Smart comeback. Wait. No. It wasn't really was it?
  • blister pus
    beyond you, clearly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    J@mesC wrote:
    I'd like to see you get your hands or any meaningful amount of towel inside the narrow opening on mine.
    Ah, one of the actually massively overlooked advantages of genuine Camelbaks. The enormous opening, meaning it's easier to clean, and you can also stick a crapload of ice cubes in it in summer.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    J@mesC wrote:

Although maybe you have something else which is suitably small that you could insert in there... :?:

Yes, your nob.

On a slightly more serious note, how big exactly is your pack so much so that you can't even ram in some towel, a pack for mice?

I suggest you get a decent pack like a camelbak or nalgene pack.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hydrapack make the most practical bladders. The hose unclips from the bladder, I think camelbak have just caught up with this, and the whole top edge of the bladder opens, so you can turn it inside out for cleaning if you need to.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    Hydrapack make the most practical bladders. The hose unclips from the bladder, I think camelbak have just caught up with this, and the whole top edge of the bladder opens, so you can turn it inside out for cleaning if you need to.
    Sounds suspiciously like the very early Karrimor ones, from circa 1994.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got one too in my Oakley hydration pack but with an oakley logo on it and it's really practical.
  • blister pus
    same deal with those Deuter Streamer Bladders i've got, slide the plastic clip off the top and it gives you full access to clean it.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Post ride just rinse it out refill and stick it into my beer fridge (nice and cold for the next ride).
    Every change of season fill with hot water and chuck in a few steradent (false teeth cleaners), leave em to fizzle for an hour or two and then rinse out.
    Thats about it.

Can replace the steradent with Milton or any other safe steralising formula.