Do you wear Hi-Viz stuff?

124»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have got a (dirty) hi-viz Hump cover for the backpack and reflective tape on my frame (stays and headtube) and my helmet (front and back).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    daviesee wrote:
    Whilst cycling in a white concrete area in bright sunshine, black may be the best HiViz. Past a yellow rapeseed field - blue. Past a green field - red. Past a coal slag heap- white.

What to wear? What to wear?

Lemon852c.jpg

The combined jersey from leTour. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The old high viz top has done a good 8 years of service and has been retired. Now in all black attire in winter, but with high viz strips.

Summer attire has no high viz.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Agent57 wrote:
    Lemon852c.jpg

Cool - that works well - where can I get one?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    3-400 yards up the road was a cyclist wearing hi-vis and a cyclist wearing dark clothing riding side by side. I actually commented to my wife that even during the day the cyclist wearing hi-vis was much easier to see. At that distance the other cyclist was more or less just a dark blob / shadow.

by the way 300 yards travelling at 60mph is not very long.

Perception can be a very odd thing though. You noticed them both & you've not proven that had there been only the dark clothed one you wouldn't have noticed him as quickly as the other...

As they say about the plural of anecdote...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Agent57 wrote:
    Lemon852c.jpg

Dunno. I thought Prendas did one, but it seems not. They do the other La Vie Clair/Wonder jersey - http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2239
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Agent57 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Whilst cycling in a white concrete area in bright sunshine, black may be the best HiViz. Past a yellow rapeseed field - blue. Past a green field - red. Past a coal slag heap- white.

What to wear? What to wear?

Lemon852c.jpg

Thanks for that - my eyes hurt 8)

Must mean it would work though :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Agent57 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Lemon852c.jpg

Dunno. I thought Prendas did one, but it seems not. They do the other La Vie Clair/Wonder jersey - http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2239

Yeak - I like the spots though - and, whilst I don't give a stuff about what anybody thinks about my "right" to wear it, I also don't want to look like tweedledum when riding with my mate in his KotM jersey.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    3-400 yards up the road was a cyclist wearing hi-vis and a cyclist wearing dark clothing riding side by side. I actually commented to my wife that even during the day the cyclist wearing hi-vis was much easier to see. At that distance the other cyclist was more or less just a dark blob / shadow.

by the way 300 yards travelling at 60mph is not very long.

Perception can be a very odd thing though. You noticed them both & you've not proven that had there been only the dark clothed one you wouldn't have noticed him as quickly as the other...

As they say about the plural of anecdote...

I've been wondering about that perception business - if you come across 2 cyclists, one in hi-vis and the other in everyday clothing, you might notice the hi-vis rider first simply because they are competing harder for your attention but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't notice the rider in ordinary clothes on their own - and it even must be possible that the hi-vis rider could be endangering the less garish rider by ''overshadowing'' them.

Another perception puzzle for me is the flash-or-don't-flash question. I've noticed that while flashing front lights are more noticeable when there's other traffic round, when there's a flashing light on a darker stretch of road, without the ambient light cast by other vehicles, it becomes very difficult to get an accurate fix on the rider's exact position and speed - the eye gets dazzled by the on phase and then plunged into extreme blackness during the off phase. You know there's something there but not where or how fast it's going. (Or how slow I'm going...) I find that I'm beginning to favour the constant light option.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    I understood that best practice is one of each - flashing and constant - front and rear for exactly the reasons you state.

Anyone catch the news item about Xenon HID car headlights and how they are great for the driver who has them and not so good for everyone else - there seem to be the first rumblings of some attempt to limit how bright these can be. Not before time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition