Do you wear Hi-Viz stuff?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I
    As for a white helmet standing out....depends what it's contrasted against. If you're in open areas and the helmet is against the sky.....well, there's a reason trainer jets are painted in 'High Visibility Black' and planes that need to be harder to spot are in light colours. :wink:

In which case they should clearly see my coloured jersey and black shorts :wink:

Which blend in nicely with the dark (compared to the sky) cars, hedges etc that they're at the same height as :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    shm_uk wrote:
    I'll wear Hi-Viz on my bike when motorists drive around in Hi-Viz cars.

I mean really, how stupid do you have to be not to see a cyclist?
    Actually, I'll answer that myself - massively incredibly unbelievably stupid

Unless you're just the average blind, ignorant, inconsiderate, inattentive moron often behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Non-cyclists use the "you should wear Hi-Viz" line as a poorly veiled alternative for "sorry, but I'm too dumb and ignorant to pay proper attention and consideration to other people around me, therefore I need you to be glowing like a super-nova to stop me driving into you. Yes, I am really that stupid. I would apologise but I wouldn't mean it"

In normal conditions on a fairly open and clear road,yes, you would have to be stupid to miss a cyclist but on busy roads with cyclists filtering through slow traffic, people turning through traffic and conditions changing by the moment as they do in London and especially if all this is happening at dusk, hi viz can make you much more obvious. I don't believe that cyclists should be legally obliged to wear hi viz and that the onus should not be put on the potential victim as though we are "visitors" to the car dominated road, but in reality hi viz can make a big difference....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I ditched my matt black helmet for a red and white helmet to make me stand out a bit more, but like someone else said some drivers wouldnt see you if you stood in front of them and punched them in the face.
  • bails87
    shm_uk wrote:
    Non-cyclists use the "you should wear Hi-Viz" line as a poorly veiled alternative for "sorry, but I'm too dumb and ignorant to pay proper attention and consideration to other people around me, therefore I need you to be glowing like a super-nova to stop me driving into you. Yes, I am really that stupid. I would apologise but I wouldn't mean it"

You're right, and I wouldn't accept it if a driver told me I should be wearing hi-viz, or if I was told that I was partially responsible for being hit because despite being 'legal' with lights etc, I wasn't wearing flourescent ear muffs.

However......

Wearing hi-viz makes me more visible. I don't always wear it, purely because I've only got one jersey that is hi-viz. If it leads to me not being hit by a car (again) then I'm happy with that. If I get hit (regardless of hi-viz), it'll more than likely be due to a driver's mistake, but drivers make mistakes, protecting against them is sensible.

The only downside to choosing an otherwise identical non hi-viz jacket over a hi-viz one is looks, and we all look a little silly on our bikes anyway :wink:
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    ndru wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also when driving I do notice those wearing hi viz more so even during the day. That isn't to say that I can't see a cyclist, when driving, who isn't wearing hi-viz. I can, even at night - London. But the viz is more noticable.

So High Visibility jackets are more visible - is that what you're trying to say :lol::lol::lol:

I don't wear hiviz - feels wrong. But then again I hardly ever cycle on busy roads and I have good lights and never go very fast.

None of which is a substitute for hi-viz. In day time your lights mean squat but hi-viz will still be visible.

But lol, I do see the irony in my post... :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've silver trimmings and patches of high vis on my winter gear but nothing on my summer kit. I've a yellow high vis arm band or something strapped to my seat bag.

Think I'm going to stick to using my Smart 1 watt rear light.

Saying that, can anybody recommend a highly visibly jersey for the summer? I tend to ride in only black/white combo to match my bike [/poser]
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yep, 4 quid a builder's vest. My mum told me that she finds it easier to see cyclists that are wearing high-vis clothing, and everyone knows that you should listen to your mum ;)

DDD - would you recommend that Pearl Izumi jacket? Does it get much use with the sleeves off?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited April 2011
    solsurf wrote:
    My wife bought me this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mav ... t-ec025598 no excuses for not seeing me!
    Quite a good jacket just a little too warm Its not too fugly, although I do confess I prefer my Campagnolo soft-shell, I suppose the difficulty is finding a high viz ss jersey, what do people recommend?

Not too fugly? I think it looks something that a crash test dummy would wear. [EDIT: may I add I don't mean that in a mean way]

As for SS jerseys why not browse through wiggle and see what jumps out at you.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/short-sleeve-cycling-jerseys/

I see altura are doing night vision in ss. Not too bad.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-night-vi ... ve-jersey/

Also special mention to the Assos Brazilian National shirt. That will certainly get you noticed. Especially if your route goes past Soho or the Vauxhall Tavern :lol:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-brazilian ... ve-jersey/
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I wear high-vis when it's dark. I seem to be working late at the moment, so I've cycled home from the pub opposite work the last three nights (5.5 miles away from home) at between 11pm and 2am. At that time of night, I think many people on the roads don't expect there to be people cycling, and don't necessarily have all their wits about them.

Given my last off was my fault, in the middle of the day, I feel a tiny bit safer knowing I'm incredibly visible when it's dark (wearing one of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/night-vision-vest-ec009541)
  • Paul E
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also when driving I do notice those wearing hi viz more so even during the day. That isn't to say that I can't see a cyclist, when driving, who isn't wearing hi-viz. I can, even at night - London. But the viz is more noticable.

So High Visibility jackets are more visible - is that what you're trying to say :lol::lol::lol:

I don't wear hiviz - feels wrong. But then again I hardly ever cycle on busy roads and I have good lights and never go very fast.

None of which is a substitute for hi-viz. In day time your lights mean squat but hi-viz will still be visible.

But lol, I do see the irony in my post... :lol::lol::lol:

Exactly, what does speed have to do with how visible you are and if a car driver is actually looking
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I occasionally wear bits of hi-vis kit. But what seems to make a far bigger difference is to have very good lights. The New King's Road is terrible for smidsy drivers pulling out of side roads, and even in daylight a decent front light almost eliminates that problem. Just need to make sure it's dimmed and pointing towards the road when riding through the park in the dark...

There's a lot of debate in the time triallig world atm, about whether competitors should have rear lights, and whether they should be mandatory. Anecdotally, it would seem that a decent rear light could be more visible (in daylight, on dual carriageways) than a hi-vis race number...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Hi-Viz cars EH ?. is there not some new E.U. reg that states from 2012 all cars (new) will have to have those Hi-Viz LED running lights . The new Audis are allmost dazzling and will make seeing us lowly cyclists even more invisable.

power to the Hi-Viz clothing !!!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I wear a high viz bib plus a smart 1/2 watt rear flasher and a strobing Fenix L2D on the front in all daylight rides in the city. I don't think the rear light is quite as bright as it needs to be to grab attention in daylight, but the strobing front seems to do the trick as drivers frequently stop just before pulling out as it catches their eye. At night the strobing is probably too much, but I put it on when there is a blind bend on a narrow road and it seems to get drivers to wait rather than blasting round. As soon as I see them I switch it to steady and thank them for waiting.
  • Headhuunter
    pianoleo wrote:
    I wear high-vis when it's dark. I seem to be working late at the moment, so I've cycled home from the pub opposite work the last three nights (5.5 miles away from home) at between 11pm and 2am. At that time of night, I think many people on the roads don't expect there to be people cycling, and don't necessarily have all their wits about them.

Given my last off was my fault, in the middle of the day, I feel a tiny bit safer knowing I'm incredibly visible when it's dark (wearing one of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/night-vision-vest-ec009541)

Thing is, hi viz is most visible and useful at dusk or in daylight. At night, under the orange glow of street lights it doesn't really help much... At night you'd be better of covered in reflective stuff and lights....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    jamesco wrote:
    Yep, 4 quid a builder's vest. My mum told me that she finds it easier to see cyclists that are wearing high-vis clothing, and everyone knows that you should listen to your mum ;)

DDD - would you recommend that Pearl Izumi jacket? Does it get much use with the sleeves off?

I love everything Izumi. The jacket will be getting used with the sleeves off now that the weather has improved.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    Anyone else now getting ads for Hi Viz workwear at the top of the page? :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Assuming you conform to the rules of the road, i.e. lights on the bike when its dark, the rest is all about risk and risk reduction. By making yourself more visible (lights, hi-viz clothing etc) you're hopefully reducing the risk of drivers not spotting you. You can't eliminate that risk completely as some drivers do the "look but not see" thing, which leads to SMIDSY.

If you're happy to accept a higher degree of risk then get a black bike, black clothes, black helmet, a black balaclava and maybe some black lights (and I don't mean the UV kind).

Personally during winter, i.e. when its cold and dark on the ride, I wear a hi-viz jacket. Now that its warmer and lighter I'm wearing light coloured jerseys. My bike has reflective tape all over it, a 2W front light, a 2nd front light and a 1/2W rear light.

In winter and summer I further minimise my risk by cycling defensively. I'm comfortable that I've minimised the risk I'm exposed to, to an acceptable level. Ultimately its a personal thing, some other people on here, judging by the comments, are happy to carry a higher level of risk than I do. I wouldn't be comfortable with that, but that's their decision.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    This is the whole problem with the legal system. They introduce doubts about the cyclist to reduce or eliminate the liability of the driver.

It leaves you with no choice but to wear all the safety gear. Even if you were killed after being hit at 90MPH in a 30MPH zone, if you weren't wearing a helmet or high vis I'm sure the defence would reduce the sentence somewhat.

High vis is only a suggestion in the Highway Code, there is no law stated below so it is not mandatory. The same applies to helmets.

Lights on the other hand are a legal requirement and the front light must be white. I've seen a few green front LED lights recently, probably because the RAC have been selling them (old cheap stock).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bails87 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I
    As for a white helmet standing out....depends what it's contrasted against. If you're in open areas and the helmet is against the sky.....well, there's a reason trainer jets are painted in 'High Visibility Black' and planes that need to be harder to spot are in light colours. :wink:

In which case they should clearly see my coloured jersey and black shorts :wink:

Which blend in nicely with the dark (compared to the sky) cars, hedges etc that they're at the same height as :wink:

So why are the cars not Hi-Viz? Do I need to get my black car resprayed?

Either way, I am wearing contrasting black, white and colours. If you are paying attention, you will see me, and therein lies the problem :evil:

PS - I don't cycle with my head in the clouds :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I wear something very similar to this when I'm commuting -

cycling_jersey_front.jpg

No reflectives but it's a crazy neon yellow and is really, really bright!

From my experience of commuting with and without it, motorists tend give me more space and are more respectful when I am wearing it as opposed to when I'm not. I don't know whether this is because they see me earlier or not, but it definitely makes a difference to the way I'm treated as a cyclist.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Paul E
    I was going along tooley street on the way home the other night, and a guy in front of me, in all black normal clothes holding an old white filament type lamp in his right hand facing backwards, that was the only thing making him visible.

Head shake!...
  • bails87
    Paul E wrote:
    I was going along tooley street on the way home the other night, and a guy in front of me, in all black normal clothes holding an old white filament type lamp in his right hand facing backwards, that was the only thing making him visible.

Head shake!...

How did you know it was a man in black clothes then? And not just a floating lamp?
    MTB/CX

• I usually wear a black soft shell jacket with reflective piping during the day. Just as when I had my motorbike, I wore black leathers. This probably results in me being less visible to other road users and pedestrians than in hi-viz, but I don't think that puts me at any greater risk - The reason being, wether wearing black or illuminous yellow with blue and red flashing light on my head, I would always assume that other road users haven't seen me and ride accordingly.

There seems to be an awfull lot of anger amongst (some) cyclists towards "idiot moronic stupid blind! etc car drivers. I personally take responsibility for my actions and make allowances for the potential mistakes of others. That way If i get hit by a car / motorcycle / pedestrian / other cyclist, I only have my self to blame.
  • bails87
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I

So why are the cars not Hi-Viz? Do I need to get my black car resprayed?

Either way, I am wearing contrasting black, white and colours.

PS - I don't cycle with my head in the clouds :wink:

:lol:

I'm only kidding :D
    If you are paying attention, you will see me, and therein lies the problem * :evil:
    I absolutely agree, and sometimes drivers need something to catch their eye to make them take a second look to see you, rather than looking straight through you. That's where hi-viz helps. It's a choice and I wouldn't ever say that it should be expected of cyclists, nor should it have any bearing on blame or fault.

*Sometimes, as when I was hit, you can be lit up like a lighthouse at Christmas, you can illuminate the drivers face with your lights and he'll still pull out and drive into you! :roll:
    MTB/CX

• wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Funny thing. I've recently gone from full High viz to all black with lots of blocks of reflective (ie altura sweat bag to endura winchill (fantastic jacket by the way)) after one puncture the lovely yellow just gets covered in black grease, and imprints of chains.

I have noticed that aggressive drivers don't get so vocal now. They say colours affect mood.... like macdonalds red and yellow make you feel hungry... well I have a theory that hi viz makes people angry, or angrier. I use exposure maxxd on the front, joystick with diffuser beacon on the helmet, and a dinotte 300r on the rear 24hrs 12 months. and i have a zound and use it when I see a divvy driver on junction or rbout.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Wear this and I guarantee you'll be seen by every motorist and his dog...

MKE+Rider.jpg
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I have a hi-viz waistcoat which cost £1.99 at Ikea and stuffs in my jacket pocket when I'm off the bike, but I mostly wear it as part of keeping warm/visible in the dark days of winter. It's hi-viz, not reflective, which means it doesn't make much difference at night though there is a white reflective stripe across the back. As I don't like the idea of showing a white light to the rear, I have felt-tipped this in in red, so it acts as a red reflector. This has to be re-done every time I wash it. It irritates me that much cycling specific kit has white reflective on it which points backwards.

All this is my reaction to the steady upping of the ante that has happened over the years in terms of visibility, which has gone a stage further with the proposed EU requirement for cars (and presumably lorries and buses etc.) to have daytime running lights. When this happens I will have my lights on and flashing during the day as I will not feel safely visible otherwise!

I think hi-viz loses much of it's effectiveness when there are a large number of people around wearing it, like at a building site or roadworks; a motorist just sees a mass of yellow as opposed to individual people, and a viz wearing cyclist becomes all but invisible in such conditions. This is one of the reasons I am already using flashing lights in winter daytime.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I have cycled on the roads for 30 years.
    I have commuted on busy roads for 16 years.

I very rarely wear any of that kinky Hi-Viz stuff.

Therefore why have I not been killed to death, horifically injured or run over at all?

I am assuming it's because the "Hi-Viz" thing must be massively overrated or something.

Or the motorists around here have somehow developed a second brain cell, enabling them to be aware of other people. But I doubt that very much.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited April 2011
    shm_uk wrote:
    I very rarely wear any of that kinky Hi-Viz stuff.

Therefore why have I not been killed to death, horifically injured or run over at all?

I am assuming it's because the "Hi-Viz" thing must be massively overrated or something.
    That's what we need, a proper scientific perspective on the subject :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    kelsen wrote:
    Wear this and I guarantee you'll be seen by every motorist and his dog...

MKE+Rider.jpg

Looks a bit hot for the summer though