K-nackered

MarcBC
MarcBC Posts: 333
For the last eight weeks I have been going out with my club at the weekends and doing 30-35 miles at around 13mph.

For the last two weeks, I have been doing two club runs a week; one of 50 miles at 14mph and the normal 30-35 milers.

On Sunday I did my first Sportive - 100km. The time was very slow but I was not too tired at the end. Two monster hill climbs did defeat me though during the "race".

I went out today and after only 10 miles I had to stop for 20 mins to get my heart rate right down and catch my breath. My legs were in pain and I was absolutely spent. I came home after only 15 miles.

Is it possible that I have done too much in the last couple of weeks (that would astound me) or could my body still be suffering from the (for me) extended distance of the sportive?

I am a 250lb 49 year old who only got back into cycling at the beginning of the year.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Your body could be telling you to rest, or you could be coming down with a bug, either way, might be an idea to have a couple of days off the bike.
  • MarcBC
    Thanks Dano, perhaps I will do that. My fear is that I will lose any benefit gained from the last couple of months. Better be alive and rested than dead but fit!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    You won't loose any fitness in a couple of days, infact the chances are you'll come back stronger after the rest.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think you may benefit from doing smaller distances at a faster pace for a while.

If your leg muscles are sore your position on the bike may be wrong. I had calf pain, I moved my cleat position and it was totally cured.

For someone of your weight to do 50 miles at 14mph is damn good!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    just to clarify- youve done about 10 or so 35 milers , 2 50 milers and at the weekend did approx 65 miles-ish(not too sure about the maths im up early cant sleep).
    not wishing to be rude but youre also carrying a fair bit of timber?
    yeah youre tired, no surprise there, have an easy week, you dont have to do nothing just cut back for a few days, youll be fine soon.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • MarcBC
    mattshrops wrote:
    just to clarify- youve done about 10 or so 35 milers , 2 50 milers and at the weekend did approx 65 miles-ish(not too sure about the maths im up early cant sleep).
    not wishing to be rude but youre also carrying a fair bit of timber?
    yeah youre tired, no surprise there, have an easy week, you dont have to do nothing just cut back for a few days, youll be fine soon.

I missed a couple of the shorter runs, but yes pretty close.

I am wheezing this morning so think I may also have a slight chest infection. Will take some rest and see how it goes.

Thanks guys. I guess I am still thinking I am an 10st teenager who used to TT twice a week and train in between. Damn this ageing thing!
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    sounds like a slight bug/infection. get to the docs and see what they say.

assuming the doc is not too concerned stay off the bike for a few days and ease back into it slowly, building up the distance gradually.

once your back up to speed try and ensure you have an easy week (lower mileage) once a month. this'll give your body time to recover a bit
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you mention the rides but no mention of the rest days. If you only started a the beginning of the year you need to give your body time to adapt. FWIW i had a bad cold and missed the whole of march out, went out for a spin and could feel the weakness in the legs. Take a rest, for 3 or 4 days eat well and push on from there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MarcBC
    Thanks again guys. I will try to take a break and see the quack next week.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Thanks guys. I guess I am still thinking I am an 10st teenager who used to TT twice a week and train in between. Damn this ageing thing!
    It's not age, it's just that you haven't done it for a long time! It'll take many months or even 2 or 3 years, but you'll be amazed at how much you will improve given enough time.

Rest is just as important a part of training as the riding. Better to go hard and then rest hard than to keep going every day at a constant pace and wear yourself out. Have rest days every week, a rest week every couple of months.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Its not that you are older than you were as a teenager, it's more the fact you're probably 100 pounds heavier.

I too am around the same weight. cycling for hours on normal terrain is fine- howver I did part of the Fred Whitton route including climbs such as honister and newlands, and was fatigued for a few days after.

Purely due to my excess weight making me work too hard, in the red zone, and taking a loooong time to recover.

Hilly cycling is a big energy drain when heavy as you're doing much more work than you should be
  • MarcBC
    carrock wrote:
    Its not that you are older than you were as a teenager, it's more the fact you're probably 100 pounds heavier.

I too am around the same weight. cycling for hours on normal terrain is fine- howver I did part of the Fred Whitton route including climbs such as honister and newlands, and was fatigued for a few days after.

Purely due to my excess weight making me work too hard, in the red zone, and taking a loooong time to recover.

Hilly cycling is a big energy drain when heavy as you're doing much more work than you should be

The hill bit makes sense in as much as the sportive was okay about from the very steep hills. The rolling rises were not a problem.