Campagnolo

rja
rja Posts: 78
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is it possible to be a Campagnolo convert after less than 100 miles? (And I'm only using Veloce!)

I think thats it - never going back. What has happened to me?

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    What else have you tried?
    M.Rushton
  • rja
    I have Dura Ace on my Planet X - but have just done a project bike with Veloce, I just love the crispness, (the DA is crisp too don't get me wrong).

I like the intermediate stages on the front shifter - it'[s the fettller's choice!
  • rja
    I have Dura Ace on my Planet X - but have just done a project bike with Veloce, I just love the crispness, (the DA is crisp too don't get me wrong).

I like the intermediate stages on the front shifter - it'[s the fettller's choice!
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    rja wrote:

Just give it a few weeks, when the Veloce BB starts playing up then you won't be singing it's praises so much :D
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    dura ace

fit
    tune
    enjoy for years

wonder why anyone needs 9 or ten gears
  • rja
    Ha ha - it is brand new. Maybe it's having a brand new groupset that I'm appreciating.
  • rja
    Ha ha - it is brand new. Maybe it's having a brand new groupset that I'm appreciating.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I like the intermediate stages on the front shifter

Dura-Ace has that too. Is it different on Campagnolo (never tried it but would love to).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rja
    unixnerd wrote:

Dura-Ace has that too. Is it different on Campagnolo (never tried it but would love to).

I think I just need it more on the Campagnolo, the Dura-Ace is a bit more forgiving. (Sounds like I've got it all wrong, admittedly, I'm not saying it's better than Dura Ace - there's just something that I love!)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    rja wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

I think I just need it more on the Campagnolo, the Dura-Ace is a bit more forgiving. (Sounds like I've got it all wrong, admittedly, I'm not saying it's better than Dura Ace - there's just something that I love!)

No mate, you said you were 'never going back'.

This either means that you clearly prefer the Campag or you're so fickle that we shouldn't believe a word that you say.
  • I've got a Veloce groupset, not had any problems with my B/B

Campag is wonderful stuff :D
  • I will find out this weekend if I love veloce :D
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    The only components that should be seen on a bike are Campagnolo (in my unbiased opinion). It's the thinking man's crumpet for a bike (to paraphrase another thread here).
  • REEL_SPIN_SHIMANO_BAITRUNNER.jpg[/img]
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    REEL_SPIN_SHIMANO_BAITRUNNER.jpg[/img]

They make good reels too!
  • Indeed, I have had no problem my previous tiagra setup, just the new bike has campag
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I have never ridden a Campagnolo shod bike. Should I have put this in confessionals?
  • rja
    jim453 wrote:
    rja wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

No mate, you said you were 'never going back'.

This either means that you clearly prefer the Campag or you're so fickle that we shouldn't believe a word that you say.

Jim

Just to clarify, I don't think the Veloce is better than DA, but I think in the future I will look again at Campag, rather than Shimano, possibly Chorus or even Record.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I have never ridden a Campagnolo shod bike. Should I have put this in confessionals?
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Over 30 years I've ridden both Campagnolo and Shimano, with full Super Record groupsets, 600 transmissions, 105 levers, etc, etc. I now only have Campagnolo on my five road bikes, with Record on the Pinarello FP5 and Specialized Transition. The crispness of action does not fall off from Record to Veloce, the components just get heavier. Veloce brakes stop you, Soras do not.

I've had Ergo levers converted from 9sp to 10sp because you can get the bits. If you have a component break within any Shimano STI lever then it's a new full lever, not just a part and rebuild.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    had campag chorus for many years and yes it wonderful robust stuff - but i do like the SRAM double tap

Quite agree on the brakes with Sirius (SH vs CA)
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    neilo23 wrote:
    The only components that should be seen on a bike are Campagnolo (in my unbiased opinion). It's the thinking man's crumpet for a bike (to paraphrase another thread here).

Subjective as ever. You might like it others don't. I like Shimano and SRAM, others don't. Subjective.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    philthy3 wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

Subjective as ever. You might like it others don't. I like Shimano and SRAM, others don't. Subjective.

My comment wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, Philthy. However, I do find Campag lovely to look at, great to use, and it has a fantastic history. I love the classic design and how they've kept this and modernised their components to remain cutting edge. All of my cycling heroes used it when I got into cycling (Delgado's Delta brakes!) which has probably influenced me. Someone who started in the Armstrong era would probably think differently. To me it's the Aston Martin of components. I quite like the look of SRAM, too. Each to his own.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somehow I will ride a campag bike this year. :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have never ridden a Campagnolo shod bike.

Me either. My current bike doesn't even have gears!

When I get my new road bike later this year (~£1500 budget) should I go for Campag?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rja
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

When I get my new road bike later this year (~£1500 budget) should I go for Campag?

I'm sorry - I started this. In my opinion I'd give Campag a go. Not sure what'd exactly you'd get around that price, because of the frame. I Just bought Veloce groupset in a project - so, being subjective.. I love it but If you can try and get test ride before you pay out.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rja wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm sorry - I started this. In my opinion I'd give Campag a go. Not sure what'd exactly you'd get around that price, because of the frame. I Just bought Veloce groupset in a project - so, being subjective.. I love it but If you can try and get test ride before you pay out.

I'm actually thinking about buying a Chinese carbon frame and building it up with a Campag gruppo. I like building bikes and this may lead to better VFM.

I would definitely try before I buy though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Having come from MTB I had road bikes with shimano but the campagnolo looked so damned good I had to give it a try. NEVER going back!
    Anyone can buy a bike with shimano or sram on it but if you want campagnolo it usually means you have to build your own bike up, I like that. It's like a badge of honour, plus it works bloody well!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You got to try everything that falls within your budget. When I built my Basso, I went with Sram Force, which is comparable with Chorus and top line Ultegra price wise. For a mere £20 extra I got a SRAM Red chainset that puts the groupset way up there and better than my ability. I like SRAM double tap; it's simple to use and rock solid. I also think the components are good on the eye. The fact that SRAM and Shimano are interchangeable makes it even better.

But, it's each to their own.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I used to be quite a well know Carp Angler and wrote for a few magazines, when I tried Shim... fishing reels they were a pile of cr@p and couldn't hold a candle to the longevity of Daiwa or the smoothness, they were also clinical.

I used to ride Campag 35+ years ago when Shim...was only a twinkle in it's designers eyes and you only had Sun, TA, Stronglight, Weinmann, Simplex to name but a few.

When I came back into riding, there was never any doubt about which group-set to ride, I tried Shim.very very smooth but like Honda...clinical and no soul.