Pets

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
We've scaled down on moving house last year - rehomed the chickens (aah, I miss those eggs) and the cat (aah, really don't miss those eggs).

Now down to two elderly dogs, Chilli (Sheepdog Staff cross and mother of) Chopper (Sheepdog bit watered down with more Staffie) and ChaCha the bearded dragon.

Hmm, just read that last sentence. Chilli is not the mother of ChaCha as that would involve some very strange gengineering.

C'mon, wax lyrical about your cute / cuddly / ferocious / oddball / talented / frankly weird animal dependants. You may even care to post a picture - unless your name is Joel Monaghan in which case please don't.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Three bikes, all have different personalities, a pedigree road bike, a slightly mongrelish flat barred road bike and a a crusty old shopper type bike that leaves crap everywhere it goes and just won't die.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    Do the three slow worms in the compost heap count?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I like pets - see below :wink:
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I have a West Highland Terrier called Lyla, she is the twinkle in my eye
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I used to have a border collie, named Sirius. (pic) Unfortunately, about 5 years ago I was forced to re-home him due to a change in circumstances that meant I couldn't give him the attention he was used to.

So now we've got two cats, Jack and Ellzy (look, kittens!). They're 4 years old now. Both good-natured and nice to have around, but dogs > cats.

We've 4 Russian hamsters as well (2 in each of the kids' bedrooms). Son's are Homer & Jeebus. Daughter's are Xander and... I forget the 4th one's name. Something like Orlando. Not as noisy as hamsters.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    SimonAH wrote:
    We've scaled down on moving house last year - rehomed the chickens (aah, I miss those eggs) and the cat (aah, really don't miss those eggs).

You got rid of your cat!!! I would never get rid of my Piglet (who is a cat). Would love a dog, but circumstance ain't right.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited April 2011
    me and my mrs we recently moved into our first house, mrs started tot alk about babies so we got a kitten instead, when we went to pick her up (from the RSPCA) we were told she was in with her sister...so we ended up getting the two cats. on the way home i found out i have a pretty bad allergy to cats bad times!

spot the cat.......IMG00054-20101120-1423.jpg

weird pets, the only really slightly weird pets i had was barney and fred here is a picture of barney

amphib2.jpg

African albino clawed frogs, they kept escaping from the tank, my mum found one in the living room that had escaped my room travelled down the stairs across the hall and into the living room. she said it was sat there "croaking" at her

we also had a border collie called Meg, sadly she died 2 years ago
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have a chinchilla - The Great Fernando. Fernando for short.

I bought him when I was 19 to have as a little friend in the cottage in my mum's garden... who knew they can live for 20 years? Not me! He's my little buddy, comes from Essex to London and back with me.

In Essex we also have 4 dogs (great dane, doberman, blonde german shepherd, border collie) and a rather unpredictable cat.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Nellie is really my parents dog, but I occasionally head up North to look after her when they're away. She's a proper ace old bitch...

IMG_5647_640.jpg

IMG_5696_640.jpg
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Stupid language filter not allowing use of proper term for a female dog. ****s
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The infamous Wilma;

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

She is a cosmopolitan dog; her name transcends languages:

Wilmaroo or just "roo" - Australia
    Wilbaloo - Nara
    Wilmaligno - Portugal
    Wimaretti - Italian
    Vilmer - German
  • mudcow007
    man alive i want another collie, best dogs in the world

im not a big lover of cats especially with my allergy, but because both my girlfriend and i work all day it woudlnt be fair for the dog to be in the house an my boss has said im not allowed to bring a dog to work, no matter how cool it would be
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    smokey the cat - now also known as wonkey, cos he had toxoplasmosis recently and it affected his balance really badly... the antibiotics have improved him a lot but he still has a slightly wonky head

He's a local celebrity, all the neighbours think he's great :-)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • gtvlusso
    mudcow007 wrote:

im not a big lover of cats especially with my allergy, but because both my girlfriend and i work all day it woudlnt be fair for the dog to be in the house an my boss has said im not allowed to bring a dog to work, no matter how cool it would be

Wilma now understands about 30 commands, from memory:

come by - her left
    Go Away - her right
    backup
    closer
    find (object - ball, stick, ropey, persons name etc etc)
    stop
    down
    drop

etc etc etc etc

She is still learning new commands daily, as I think of them.....I don't even bother using a lead now when I am out around town with her - she is so controllable.

Try and get a cat to do that lot.....
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Can she also recite pi to 50 digits and play the piano?

Does she have a cape?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Seen as the missus isn't getting very far with finding a job - I may well be coming home with one of these some time soon

Beagle%2BDog%2BBreed%2BPictures%2B22.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    gtvlusso wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

come by - her left
    Go Away - her right
    backup
    closer
    stop
    down
    drop

etc etc etc etc

She is still learning new commands daily, as I think of them.....I don't even bother using a lead now when I am out around town with her - she is so controllable.

Try and get a cat to do that lot.....
    cats wrote:
    You want the ball/stick/whatever so bad, you get it yourself. I fancy a nap.

No pets of my own, but my parents have always had cats. They (parents not cats) recently had a conservatory added to their house and went to great effort to build in a cat flap (one of those ID chip operated ones built into the wall),but the cats took one look at it then walked over to the door and waited patiently as before.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Two blue tits, taking turns to sit on an unknown number of eggs in a box on the garage wall
    ~20,000 bees (this is an estimate) living in a box on the garage roof
    1 frog living in the storm water drain
    1 mouse living somewhere in the vicinity of the bird table
    Unknown number of lizards, which seem to live somewhere around the strawberry patch
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:
    come by - her left
    Go Away - her right
    backup
    closer
    stop
    down
    drop

ah fantastico, Meg was pretty good with picking things up, like "where is your ball" dog brings ball, "No not that one" dog goes away coems back with another ball

or "Where is your stick/ snowman/ frisbee" etc

lovely dogs, but if me or my dad said "watch her" the dog would jump at my mum growling.....loads fo fun an not a nasty bone in her body

i would get another one tommorow
  • We used to have a retired racing greyhound called Blue, he was, without doubt the best dog I've ever had the pleasure to meet:

20368_288257445487_591730487_3493391_1927928_n.jpg

After he died last year we really wanted another dog about the place, but couldn't really commit ourselves to another one for too many years ahead, so we now puppy-walk for the Guide Dogs for the Blind.

44239_446475411714_604881714_5559629_4119107_n.jpg

She's a lovely dog and all, and will go on to do wonderful things, but there will never be another Blue.
  • gtvlusso
    Can she also recite pi to 50 digits and play the piano?

Does she have a cape?

Yes, yes she can....

She has worn a "Wurzels" Neckerchief.....Consider it the cape of the South West super'ero....

It is quite incredible watching Wilma learn and having to repeat/be treat trained into a task. Watching my daughter grow up and adapt to tasks and develop so quickly is incredible - you can really see where instinct is left behind and the mind takes over.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Molly, Shes my hound.

5529781093_da5536fd53.jpg
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    We have a eight cats and a stray who comes around twice a day for feeding.

We didn't really want 8 cats but a young queen came along last summer and dropped 5 kittens in my wifes undies draw. The wife decided that she didn't want to rehome them after watching a programme on the problems doing so, and decided that it would be best if we kept them......

So, I am now building an extention so I can move my office into it, so the cats can use my current one for their bedroom.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We have one cat, picked him up yesterday from Batersea Cats & Dogs Home.

217182_10150214190789973_774584972_8312388_5434625_n.jpg

216583_10150214203379973_774584972_8312444_2913809_n.jpg

He made himself at home within minutes. Last night I fel asleep on the sofa and he fell asleep on top. Really sweet little cat.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    We've got 2 rescued Galgos - Spanish Greyhounds & suffer obscenely in that country - and a saluki rescued from this country.

Pics when I can be faffed with photobucket
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    This is Mork - he went with my ex-

P7131106.jpg

I **really** miss that cat, biggest bloody sop of an animal
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Lovely pics all, but UndercoverElephant wins with that utterly gorgeous picture of Blue. Sorry he's no longer around dude.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Blue looks lovely but I still love that picture of GTV's dog Wilma.... Cats I'm afraid just con't cut it, I'm not a huge fan...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    myself and Nik had the babies conversation sometime back, she decided to get a cat instead. We now have a cat called Nelson who likes to scratch me every chance he gets.

The babies conversation has taken place again. I fear we may end up with another cat :(
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Weve got 1 x 12 year old boxer who thinks its cool in his retirement to snore and fart all day :shock: :shock:

Have also got 2 german shepherds 1 4year old b1tch and 1 3 year old dog who both think it is their misssion in life to stop the old boxer from sleeping all day :roll:

Chaos is the norm :wink::wink: