Bike for a burd, advice wanted

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
A former colleage wants to buy a bike but her budget is around £150.

I know its a tough ask, but has anyone got any recommendations for a hybrid (ideally new) in that price range? Its the usual thing "I want to ride to work and the occasional ride along canal tow paths" etc. The commute would be less than 5 miles, she'll no doubt be a FWC and I don't think there are any massive hills as she is a Londoner and we don't have big hills, right?

She's 5'7" and pretty fit (in all senses of the word), but wants a million and one gears and something "Not old fashioned looking". She's a young'un and of the generation that thinks that bikes should have flat bars, suspension, loads and loads of gears, massive saddle etc.
I've tried to point her towards some 1980s mixtes as I believe they would tick all of the boxes of what she will actually need (rather than want) as well as free extras (mudguards, kickstand) but she doesn't want to know.

Any recommendations? She doesn't want drops and I think I have talked her out of her 'need' for suspension.
Lets see what the hive mind can come up with.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    For that sort of money she'd be best off looking somewhere like Decathlon or Hellfords :-)

Other options I guess would be second hand on ebay or trying her luck on her local Freecycle (no pun intended....) group to see if anyone has a bike they no longer need.

I did initially think tho that someone had offered you a trade and you wanted advice :-) my friend once got offered 7 camels for his sister when holidaying in Egypt but the mum put the stoppers on that one. Having met his sister I think that was a fair trade.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    To be honest, you can make recommendations until you're blue in the face and she probably won't listen.

Let her get something she likes, try to make it as light and un-knobbly-tired as possible, and then let her grow to hate it, THEN go for the good bike.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    For £150 it will be a BSO unless she goes old school and secondhand.
  • EKE_38BPM
    To be honest, you can make recommendations until you're blue in the face and she probably won't listen.

Let her get something she likes, try to make it as light and un-knobbly-tired as possible, and then let her grow to hate it, THEN go for the good bike.

Yeah, you can take a horse to water etc.

The best I've found so far is this or this (a little over budget, but comes with mudguards and a rack).

Any better suggestions?
    I know second hand would be a better option, but she, ideally, wants new.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera Gryphon about hits the mark, I think the V-braked ones are around £260, 16 gears I think (point out 16 gives the same spread of gears as 21, but more efficiently)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

V-brakes so it will stop well, and 700c wheels.

To go cheaper you'r looking at mail order and associated risks, another possible is go-outdoors who had a Halcyon hybrid in for about £160 (plus card cost).....was one linked to on here, but can't find it on their webby now - thread here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=halcyon

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Realcycles.com will do you a Ridgeback Comet Ladies for £224, it's a little over the budget, but doesn't look too awful and is a decent saving over the RRP.

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php? ... 0s287p2729
  • The Rookie
    "The Rapide range is designed for when comfort and visibility is more important than speed and efficiency."

Not sure that hits the OP's description of the burd in question!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited April 2011
    "The Rapide range is designed for when comfort and visibility is more important than speed and efficiency."

Simon
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    "Not old fashioned looking". She's a young'un and of the generation that thinks that bikes should have flat bars, suspension, loads and loads of gears, massive saddle etc.

Not old-fashioned looking - Check
    Flat bars - Check
    Loads of gears - Check
    Massive Saddle - Check

You're right though, the bike she thinks she wants doesn't much match her description.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    She wants a new bike for £150 with her version of bells and whistles? :shock:

Point her in the direction of local shops, Ebay etc and tell her to put a list together then come see you.

By that time she might realise the actual cost of such a bike.

Or.............. you could buy the bike for her :)
  • EKE_38BPM

Simon
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    "Not old fashioned looking". She's a young'un and of the generation that thinks that bikes should have flat bars, suspension, loads and loads of gears, massive saddle etc.

Not old-fashioned looking - Check
    Flat bars - Check
    Loads of gears - Check
    Massive Saddle - Check

You're right though, the bike she thinks she wants doesn't much match her description.

Price - Not so check

This is looking like an impossible search.

• lost_in_thought
    I think the MTB you've found will be the one for her to go for.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I think the MTB you've found will be the one for her to go for.

I think you may be right. She liked the look of the Boardman hybrid, but at £400, it was waaaaay over budget.

I've sent her the link to those two bikes I linked to on here. Just awaiting her verdict.

• tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    for the fiance i've took some spare parts, a saracen protrax frame and came up with a lovely bike, new brakes, shifters and cables is what i spent the money on (£50ish) some bso wheels for now until i get a new set.

There not anyone with a frame kicking about a few spare parts? apart from that as said above the mtb looks about the best.
  • EKE_38BPM
    If she was my missus, I'd probably do something similar.
    But she ain't.

I am considering buying a Mixte, nicing it up (service, new chain etc) and giving it to my cousin instead of the Vitamin though. I'll keep the Vitamin for bad weather and my cousin won't have to struggle with 15kg of pig iron that will probably be too big for her.

• tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    If she was my missus, I'd probably do something similar.
    But she ain't.

Yeah fair play, I know where you're coming from there.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Pretty sure I've seen the Kona Smoke for £200ish.

It's got guards and looks quite good. She'll end up with something if she sticks to £150.

My girlfriend rides round on one of these and I have to say it's not that bad. The SRAM gears on it are alright and I have just put her some Marathons on after a spate of punctures on the horrible knobblies.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/original-3-172069075/
  • ADonmall
    ADonmall Posts: 12
    I have a 2nd hand Boardman Hybrid I dont use anymore, is in good condition, 3 years old (used for 2) if she wants 2nd hand?
  • EKE_38BPM
    ADonmall wrote:
    I have a 2nd hand Boardman Hybrid I dont use anymore, is in good condition, 3 years old (used for 2) if she wants 2nd hand?
    Brilliant. I'll PM you.

• EKE_38BPM

LiT, you are so very right. ADonmall has a blinding bike on offer at a very reasonable price and she is now umming and ahing about the colour?!

I've made my recommendation (that she buys ADonmall's bike) but I can do no more other than hope she sees sense. Lets hope, eh, otherwise she will end up with a BSO.

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

LiT, you are so very right. ADonmall has a blinding bike on offer at a very reasonable price and she is now umming and ahing about the colour?!

I've made my recommendation (that she buys ADonmall's bike) but I can do no more other than hope she sees sense. Lets hope, eh, otherwise she will end up with a BSO.

I knew it...
  • The Rookie
    At the risk of upsetting LiT (and that could be a bad move!), I have to admit that everytime I see the title of this thread I think "sounds like a fair swap" (noting that I still haven't decided if the OP has the bike or burd he's trying to swap......)

Simon
  • EKE_38BPM
    edited April 2011
    At the risk of upsetting LiT (and that could be a bad move!), I have to admit that everytime I see the title of this thread I think "sounds like a fair swap" (noting that I still haven't decided if the OP has the bike or burd he's trying to swap......)

Simon

Maybe the burd is a bit of a bike* but I can confirm she is not a receptionist!

She has now decided to at least go to look at Adonmall's bike and I hope she buys it rather than a BSO.

Bringing the "I just bought a mixte!" thread together with this one, I hope to have the mixte by the time she buys and collects Adonmall's bike and hopefully she'll be able to take both for a test ride back to back. Then she will have the bike she thinks she wants and the bike I think she wants and tell me that I was right!

* I don't think she is a bike at all. I believe she is in a long term, committed and monogomous relationship.

• The Rookie
    Anyone sporty wanting a bike and a hybrid can do a lot worse than a Boardman and not that much better for sure, comapring the 2 would be interesting though.

My local recycling shop had a Mixte in about 4 months back, absolute gem with high end components, still kicking myself now for not getting it and allowing someone who would really apreciate it buy it instead of the usual sort of person who visits!

Simon
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd go with LiT on this - it doesn't matter what you tell her she'll end up thrilled to bits with something she finds in Tesco or Cycle King for £70, until she's had it for three months.

Unless you're trying to cop off with her (your colleague, not LiT, but hey who knows what goes on down there in that there Lunnon), I'd tell her she's asking for the moon on a stick and that you can't really help her. It'll save you a lot of flak when she does by a pile of tat, and it'll be your fault obviously for pointing her in that direction even it's diametrically opposite to where you were facing.

Hiding to nothing mate. Tell her to sling her hook. :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Anyone sporty wanting a bike and a hybrid can do a lot worse than a Boardman and not that much better for sure, comapring the 2 would be interesting though.

My local recycling shop had a Mixte in about 4 months back, absolute gem with high end components, still kicking myself now for not getting it and allowing someone who would really apreciate it buy it instead of the usual sort of person who visits!

Simon

You're the sort of person who visits, so you could be preventing someone like you from buying it.

I really hope the timings are such that she can compare the two and give me her opinion. What would be ideal is finding a BSO double bouncer as well so that she can compare all three, but I don't know anyone with one.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    finding a BSO double sagger.

Fixed that
  • EKE_38BPM
    ADonmall wrote:

ADonmall, have you had any contact with The Burd? If not, this is just getting silly and I feel sorry for messing you around.
    You can take a horse to water and all that...

• ADonmall
    ADonmall Posts: 12
    Nah no contact, but hey no problem, least I have some pics now so I should probably get around to selling it!
  • EKE_38BPM
    She said she wants to see the bike on Tuesday, but seems shy about emailing you.

Strange.