Chamois cream

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
It would appear the search function on this forum is useless as i know this topic has been up several times, so can someone reccomend me a good chamois cream. Thanks.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Assos or Udderly Smooth.

Think the search function only goes back a few weeks/months now.
    More problems but still living....
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Only started using Assos recently.
    Certainly helps me :)
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I use chamois butter after having used both Udderly Smooth (found it a tad thin) and Assos (really nice)

I rate them as so: chamois butter>Assos>udderly smooth
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Hi there, used Assos to good effect for last 4 years, but recently experimented with Sudacrem as it's a lot cheaper. To be honest, the Assos cream is nicer to apply etc but in use there is not really much difference to rides lasting up to 4.5 hours. Haven't tried a longer ride.
    Worth experimenting to find out what works well for you.
    Yak
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Note that chamois cream is formulated to wash out of shorts easily on a low temp wash. This may not be the case with cheaper stuff like Sudocream and Vaseline. Having paid a lot of money for decent shorts I'd rather not take a risk of ruining them for the sake of a few quid.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    derosa wrote:
    Note that chamois cream is formulated to wash out of shorts easily on a low temp wash. This may not be the case with cheaper stuff like Sudocream and Vaseline. Having paid a lot of money for decent shorts I'd rather not take a risk of ruining them for the sake of a few quid.

From my experience Sudocreme does wash out when using a 40 degree wash (which is as low as our washing machine goes)

No evidence of any build-up after repeated use / washings .

Mike
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Have just started using Assos Chamois Cream and it is pretty good. It all but prevents friction and is pleasantly cooling to boot. Which, on reading it back, sounds completely weird - but try it because it works!!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I gave the ex a sample of Chaffe Ease by Natures Kiss. The products are endorsed by the NZ All Blacks. He thought it was bloody brilliant.

If it's as good as the Herbal Relief cream I'd suggest you try it.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Sudocrem is you friend- well at least its my friend.

Never had a problem of it not washing out of shorts.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use Udderly Smooth
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    An interesting article from Velonews by Andy Pruitt (of Specialized BG fit fame) where he says that if you need to use chamois cream all the time you "should seek professional medical advice".

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/training-center/training-center-when-is-chamois-cream-needed_163977

It's not going to stop me from slathering up in Udderly Smooth before each ride though :)
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    One thing I have always been baffled by. Do you wear underwear? I always wear underwear with my shorts and I have never had chaffing or bunching. Am I right in saying the chaffing is caused by the pad rubbing on your ass - add an extra layer and therefore less slip. Simples :)
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    Here we go again - wearing underwear beneath padded bibshorts should be discouraged. The chamois is designed to be comfortable and wick away sweat, and provide a smooth pad between you and the saddle. Wearing any type of underwear will compromise the effectiveness of the chamois. There are likely to be seams in an uncomfortable place, and bunching causing discomfort and chafing and moisture retention.

If you wear underwear and don't have any issues, you are in the minority.

For what it's worth, I use Assos before long rides, and a light hand cream (sometimes) before my shorter commute.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Cubic wrote:
    An interesting article from Velonews by Andy Pruitt (of Specialized BG fit fame) where he says that if you need to use chamois cream all the time you "should seek professional medical advice".

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/training-center/training-center-when-is-chamois-cream-needed_163977

mmm, I cannot knock the chap's credentials but:

"At the first sign of chaffing or bruising, think about a day off the bike, if you’re in a stage race, or that is not an option, consider a high quality chamois cream. If you ever become totally dependent on cream for comfort, something is wrong and you should seek professional medical advice."

So, I am half way through a 4 hour ride and I start chaffing... a day off does not appear to be a valid option!

Dependent on cream for comfort? I don't use it for comfort, I use it to prevent chaffing and soreness.

Conclusion, same as Cubic, carry on regardless (Assos works for me though, but I don't expect any cream to stop the bruising I got on a bumpy road near Dulverton recently, ouch!).
  • Mmmm Assos. It's minty fresh.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Udderly here, never used anything else as I only use it now and again, I have a new saddle which suits me a heck of a lot better though so maybe thats why I have only used it once this year so far.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just used Assos here, good stuff ...
  • Muztard
    Muztard Posts: 160
    I've only ever tried the one, Udderly Smooth. Used it for a few weeks and found it done the job just fine. :)

However, I then changed my saddle and haven't since needed the cream :D
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    DZ Nuts for me. Been using it for about a year, works well.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Daft question, but exactly where do you put it?

In the leg creases / perineum?

Is is liberally slopped on?

I wear fitted lycra shorts (the sort Rugby players wear under their shorts, just short of knee length) with padded bib shorts on top, and have no probs with chafing.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Seeing as udderley is half the price of Assos i think i'll give it a try, that said i think half the fault is my new Endura "pro" shorts, so i may just go back to some DHB's never had a problem with them except on really long rides. Guess my backside prefers cheaper lycra! Thanks for the input all.
  • Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    I tried Udderly smooth recently as i was fed up spending £10+ on Assos. All i can say is that extra £4 is udderly worth paying. The assos cream goes further and seems to do me more good. It stays comfortable longer, tingles nicely and smells great! Udderly is ok just not as good.

I apply a bit to the shorts' padded area where they crease at the sides and a good old slop around all areas here to there. probably about a two finger piled high all in. No point scrimping when it comes to these things.
  • Secteur wrote:
    Daft question, but exactly where do you put it?

In the leg creases / perineum?

Is it liberally slopped on?

I wear fitted lycra shorts (the sort Rugby players wear under their shorts, just short of knee length) with padded bib shorts on top, and have no probs with chafing.

Anywhere you like just not up one's posterior. Generally on the bits that will chafe against each other, as you correctly state perineum and leg creases. You don't need that much of it to be honest.

Why are you wearing two lots of shorts though, I'm puzzled?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Twice as fast?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I've got udderly smooth, which i use sometimes (mostly when i remember before a ride which isnt always). it does feel nice, and i think its probably better than without.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Self applied

or

wife applied (not a good idea to get the cream on the bar tape).

I need to know the official line for when I need some applied for the first time.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    See someone apply it is still one of the most haunting images I will ever take from cycling.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Just a warning regarding Sudocrem. During a 3 day cycle tour I used it upon recommendation by a fellow cycle courier, to prevent saddle boils. The next day my perineal and pubic area started itching/burning mildly, and it got worse for the next few days. This itching lasted for weeks and was very unpleasant; my skin went rather dry and crusty too. The only thing that relieved the sensation was a slightly excessively hot, high pressure jet of water from the shower. I can imagine what my girlfriend thought when I was moaning with relief every morning and evening in the bathroom...

Anyway - I stopped using Sudocrem and the itch went away. I know correlation does not imply causation and I knew it could have just been a coincidence. Perhaps due to having sweaty skin rubbing against a saddle for 8 hours a day I'd picked up a skin infection at about the same time? So I tried sudocrem again about a year later as I was getting saddle boils and wanted to prevent further boilsfrom developing. Exactly the same thing happened this time.

Obviously it won't happen to everyone who tries it but be aware that your skin may be sensitive to one of the ingredients and it could cause you a really unpleasant few weeks.

My favourite thing to use is Superdrug Cocoa Butter Body Butter (the one that comes in 3 inch high disc-shaped tubs rather than the one that comes in a squeezy bottle). You can get 2 tubs for £3.99 when it's on special offer (i.e. about now) and it's thick enough to do the job well - it normally lasts me a couple of months.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Sort rides in hot weather - talc - it really works for me
    Short rides in cold weather - nowt
    Long rides - Assos ar$e butter
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    edited June 2011
    Like many things with cycling, finding a chamois cream that works for you is a case of listening to the experience of others and then finding out which solution works best for you.

I've used Udderly Smooth, Chamois Butt'r, Assos and Sudocrem and all have worked up to a point but beyond 3-4 hours on the bike I found they were either absorbed or tended to break down leading to increased friction.

I spoke to me GP, who is also a keen cyclist, and he pointed out that most of these products are either aqueous or oil/water emulsifications so when you apply sweat, heat and friction they may well break down. He suggested using Vaseline which I now do regularly (combined with an initial touch of Assos for that cool, tingly sensation) as it works for me on the longer rides. When washing the shorts I massage in some pre-wash liquid into the seat to boost the cleaning.