Recumbents: I still don't get it.....

2»

Comments

• jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Re: the visibility comment, I know it seems counterintuitive but even if I was less visible, I was SEEN much more when I rode my trike around London - its oddness seemed to make people take much more notice of it, even if it must have been actually less visible.

Wherever I went in built-up areas it was really noticeable how much more slack drivers cut me, and that includes Hyde Park Corner and Shepherd's Bush roundabouts, as well as crossing central Paris several times at rush hour.

However, the faff of getting it in my gate and into the house, and the impossibility of getting one on a UK train was what killed it for me - I think if you live in a city you a) need a garage so you can ride it straight in, and b) need to be a driver so you can transport you and it to the place you want to ride.

I flew mine to Biarritz, and train/ferried to Calais and St Malo for tours around France (including pulling a BOB YAK trailer) and it was honestly the most fun thing I've ever ridden. Sadly missed, it's on my list of things to own again in more suitable circumstances...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I once described them to my mates as an 'acoustic Sinclair C5'.

Pretty much damns them for me. :D
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Re: the visibility comment, I know it seems counterintuitive but even if I was less visible, I was SEEN much more when I rode my trike around London - its oddness seemed to make people take much more notice of it, even if it must have been actually less visible.

Except when turning accross you (left or right) - you're low down so less likely to be seen in mirrors, and anyone making a turn accross traffic wouldn't see you as you'd be hidden behind the cars.

Unless you only ever ride in primary and don't filter, in which case you may as well take the car?