Recumbents: I still don't get it.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I mean, why?

Why try and commute on a recumbent?

Track standing - No
Getting foot down quick, if need arises - urmmm....
Visibility in traffic - sh1te unless you have a little flag.....
Little flag - looks ghey
Pulling up anywhere means that the nose of the recumbant is usually sticking out - bit silly
Maintenance - looks tricky
Changing tube - looks tricky and heavy

There must be some pluses, I just cannot see them. Please educate me....

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I mean, why?

Track standing - No
    Little flag - looks ghey
    Pulling up anywhere means that the nose of the recumbant is usually sticking out - bit silly

Recumbents have essentially two advantages- dramatically lower wind resistance and an armchair for a seat.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You forgot to mention, really slow uphill and when it rains you get a small lake accumulating in your crotch :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I saw BentMikey once and instead of putting his foot down, he would put his hand down. He followed me up Bromley Hill and stayed with me. He was behind so I don't know how much effort he was putting in, but he was right behind me at the top when I turned around to see if I had dropped him (I wasn't trying to, honest).
    His carbon fibre panniers looked very cool (and aero) but I can't remember a flag.
    Maintenance can't be that different from a 'normal' bike.

I'd love to give one a go and if I was doing some seriously long distance touring, e.g. crossing the Australian Outback, I think it would be my steed of choice because of the reduced wind resistance and armchair-like 'saddle'.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You forgot to mention, really slow uphill and when it rains you get a small lake accumulating in your crotch :wink:

Not if you have this bad boy
    http://youtu.be/jUgXtZFdUcs
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'd love to give one a go and if I was doing some seriously long distance touring, e.g. crossing the Australian Outback, I think it would be my steed of choice because of the reduced wind resistance and armchair-like 'saddle'.

Plus, there are so few people, nobody would see you riding it. Result!
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    There is a one round my way where the owner has take one of those little kiddies bike. Created a little mount to raise the front wheel. And cycles along with his kid ridding the little bike on the back (kid must be 5-7yrs old?).
    FCN 7
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I would love to try one. They look rather fun to me.

They are a bit unusual as well which isn't always a bad thing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I must admit - given the nature of my commute - a 'bent would be fun :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    A friend of mine & BentMikey's rides a 'bent on account of multiple spinal injuries- he was operated on with the strict provision he did not get back on a regular bike, ever. The hospital staff did, however, agree that a 'bent would be perfectly OK. Eighteen months after the op he did LEL on it!
    I'd have a trike myself, purely because I'd fear I'd be falling over rather a lot. ICE Vortex looks like a lovely bit of kit. I think there would, like switching between geared and fixed/SS, certain advantages for 'upwrong' riding from developing the different muscle groups that 'bent riding involves.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    my brother had one ages ago.... I had a few goes on it but wasn't that impressed, great for country lanes for a change but no way would I commute on one.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I mean, why?

Track standing - No
    Little flag - looks ghey

Recumbents have essentially two advantages- dramatically lower wind resistance and an armchair for a seat.

Cheers,
    W.

If you see some of Bent Mikey's youtube videos, he passes roadies like I pass full suss mountain bikes.

Reason enough.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I work with somebody who commutes on a Hasse recumbant trike and uses it as his main (only ?) means of transport 365 days a year.

He's done some big sportives on it, and tells a story of one he did in Germany with a long downhill where he couldn't brake because of cramp in his hands and ended up overtaking cars at over 70kmph.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm sure I read somewhere that fully covered and streamlined recumbent bikes are the quickest and most efficient bikes known to man, the only reason pro riders don't use them is because they're not allowed under race rules...

Having said that I probably wouldn't want to use one on the commute, it just makes you so much less visible to traffic and also means that you lose onme of the major benefits to cyclists, the ability to see across the roofs of cars and other traffic...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I regularily see a trike 'bent on the uni campus where I work, has a mast for a flag and lights....can't filter though

A work collegaue is busy designing an electrically assisted 'bent for his 18mile commute, he'll probably do it as well as he's also built a 36" wheeled mountain bike. He used to have a conventional one and has managed 30mph sustained for several miles on it - lack of wind resistance and all that - mind you he's also had 50mph out of his loaded tandem downhill.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Not if you have this bad boy
    http://youtu.be/jUgXtZFdUcs

If you want to see that sort of bike up close the british version is at a new cycle shop in Ealing tomorrow.

http://www.there-cycling.co.uk/blog/gen ... nvited.php

Don't think most of the other bikes in there would interest the speedfreak racers on here though!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Definitely not for commuting (main problem is that they are just too unweildy at either end of the journey) but for a Sunday blast down country lanes? Yes, yes I would.

One of the Mike Burroughs Rat Racers would just about fit the bill oi reckon.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure I read somewhere that fully covered and streamlined recumbent bikes are the quickest and most efficient bikes known to man, the only reason pro riders don't use them is because they're not allowed under race rules...

http://hembrow.blogspot.com

This bloke commutes with a velomobile which essentially is a fully covered recumbent trike - he commutes 37miles each way... and it takes him under an hour - talk about efficiency. But then again he lives in NL and he is lucky enough to have dedicated bicycle tracks there so no mixing with the traffic.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'd love to try one. Must be great for long tours. Or if you have hemorrhoids.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    So, positive points:

Great for people with injuries, possibly disabilities.
    Efficient cycling technique
    Comfy seat for distance

Still not won over on this one....come on, win me over!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, positive points:

Great for people with injuries, possibly disabilities.
    Efficient cycling technique
    Comfy seat for distance

Still not won over on this one....come on, win me over!

Long downhills...OK, it'll hurt on the way up, but the payback is massive!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Today I saw a couple on a tandem touring recumbent. They looked to be having fun.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Still amazed how people think you can't see a recumbent. Easily ten times more visible in traffic than an upright bicycle. I'm anti-hiviz, but I wonder how hypocritical that stance is because I feel considerably less visible and less safe riding my upright instead of the recumbent.

They have disadvantages, but for my particular 45 mile round trip commute, it's teh awesomes. Packed city traffic, and a short commute, and I'd take the upright because the recumbent isn't so good on very tight ducking and diving through traffic, it's a bit too long for that.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    BentMikey wrote:
    Still amazed how people think you can't see a recumbent. Easily ten times more visible in traffic than an upright bicycle.

Eh?

That's like saying it's easier to see someone who is lying on the floor than someone who is standing up.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    How do you stay in your lane on the road?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I regularily see a trike 'bent on the uni campus where I work, has a mast for a flag and lights....can't filter though

Do you work at UoW? That's one of my colleagues. He does filter on it, and when he switched from an upright to the bent trike he found that he was actually more visible. People are just so unused to seeing someone riding a 'bent that they really notice you.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Good to see BentMikey posting again.
    After I saw him just before Bromley Hill last year he stopped posting.

Am I that horrible?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    jimmypippa wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I mean, why?

Track standing - No
    Little flag - looks ghey

Cheers,
    W.

If you see some of Bent Mikey's youtube videos, he passes roadies like I pass full suss mountain bikes.

Reason enough.

I pass full roadies on a brompton.... maybe we should all ride those?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

Yeah but you'd never get up that hill
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I've heard the 'comfort' argument used a few times, but any time I've seen someone riding a recumbent they look to be straining their neck like buggery.

They may be fun to ride, but they look like suicide to me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    spen666 wrote:

Yeah but you'd never get up that hill

this would be a problem how? :wink: (it's not part of my commute)

This is my normal commute:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/13678261
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X