hydraulic gears?!

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What the world needs is a single speed, smug powered derailleur.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    hehe..... that might look good on my purple preston! :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rushmore wrote:
    Ithink once they have been out for longer and other companies start to make them they could take off... but at that price tag.. i'd rather keep the cables at the mo!

they have been out for years. (circa 5 whole long years).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • long_guts
    long_guts Posts: 44
    I had a bike in once for a repair that had an automatic gear mech. was a very strange ride.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Aut ... ltered.jpg
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    thel33ter wrote:
    My roadie has a Dura Ace rear mech, the return spring is perfect, changes smoothly and quickly but I can shift it with one finger no problem. The shifters are 105 8 speeds.
    Oh that must be SOOOO nice. I need to get off my bike, and use both hands, whilst bracing my feet against a nearby tree to change gear on my mountain bike.

glol!! Post of the week :lol:

As for the hydro gears. Nice and probably very good, but £2k good? Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    don't forget what will happen if the hose gets a puncture. atleast with cables it's possible to carry a spare around.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    NatoED wrote:
    atleast with cables it's possible to carry a spare around.

You carry a spare cable in your bag?!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    You worry about you brake hoses getting a puncture?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I personally don't see the benefit at all. The forces in cable breaks vs cable shifting are two very different problems. I'm sure the lack of contaminants in a hydraulic shifter is nice but even a completely fifthly well-adjusted cable shifter still isn't 'that' bad to use. The forces argument is interesting but then electronic shifting means the rider uses no force as it is motorised and therefore better.

I think the cost is irrelevant as it looks to be a built to order piece of kit and not massed produced. If one person make five of these are year with some heavy tooling and then has to assemble, pay for packaging, customer contacts, spares etc then costs can ramp up a lot. With anything that is custom you always pay a premium.
  • NatoED
    I do carry spare cables . if a brake fails it's often not al at once an dramatic you feel the loss of pressure . if your hydraulic gears fail that's twice as much fluid pouring over your wheel / paintwork / woodland floor. atleast with a brake it would only leak out when you pull the lever.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    NatoED wrote:
    I do carry spare cables . if a brake fails it's often not al at once an dramatic you feel the loss of pressure . if your hydraulic gears fail that's twice as much fluid pouring over your wheel / paintwork / woodland floor. atleast with a brake it would only leak out when you pull the lever.

In all my 16 years of mountain biking I've never ever had a cable fail. Outers wear out and crack but that's about it. Do you carry some cutters and pliers as well to fit them properly?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've had a brake cable fail. Once. Will never, ever let it happen again.

You know, I have thought a couple of times that these super gucci technologies would actually benefit the utility market more than pro/race. Electronic or hydraulic shifting would suit my old mum down to the ground; she has a hell of a job with her trigger shifters and arthritic fingers!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I actually carry a spare bike and Park Tools pro tool kit with me, just in case.
  • NatoED
    pre cut the cables dude . makes life easier :)