hydraulic gears?!

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited April 2011 in MTB general
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-First-Look-Acros-AEG-11-MT-Hydraulic-Shifting.html

i can't decide weather it's a good or a bad idea. and that price :shock:

but it's just innovation and evoloution in the bike world. looks like it could stay

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5 Rot have been doing them for years.

http://www.5rot.com/schaltwerk.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    looks exactly the same. i think acros bought the design or something?
  • nicklouse
    :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    VERY, VERY purdy kit!....Might hafta re-mortgage the house to fund tho'. :shock:
  • Looks to be stunning kit. It's definitely time for a move away from cable operated gears and utilise other technologies.
  • nicklouse
    Looks to be stunning kit. It's definitely time for a move away from cable operated gears and utilise other technologies.

right, they have been around for years and still have not taken off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'll wait until they cost less than my car.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the shift levers conventional?

No. A-GE Shifters have a single thumb paddle that shifts up or down the gearing range. Pushing the lever upwards shifts to a taller gear and pushing the lever downwards downshifts. One to three shifts can be managed with a single push. Switching the hydraulic lines allows the user to reverse the shifting from “top-normal” to “low-normal” as wished.

I think that wil put many off.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks to be stunning kit. It's definitely time for a move away from cable operated gears and utilise other technologies.
    Why?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It's pretty, but seriously, 2 grand for shifters and mechs? Never gonna happen.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why? Nutty roadies pay that sort of money. Sure there are some equally nutty mtbers
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    Di2, the most expensive roadie kit works out at just over £1000 for shifters and mechs.

With this it works out as around £900 for the shifters, £900 for the rear mech and £500 for the shifters. A total of £2300, this is assuming they just keep the same US prices and just change the sign like they seem to do for most bike parts :roll:

So no where near the same :wink:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:
    With this it works out as around £900 for the shifters, £900 for the rear mech and £500 for the shifters. A total of £2300,
    Wait, what?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter wrote:
    With this it works out as around £900 for the shifters, £900 for the rear mech and £500 for the front mech. A total of £2300,
    Wait, what?

Fixed :oops:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    edited April 2011
    The system is sealed so the mech just moves to the position you push or pull it to, so the lever loads could be much, much lighter. No battery to worry about like with Di2, and presumably a lot stronger than a servo drive anyway.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Anonymous
    DesWeller wrote:
    The system is sealed so the mech just moves to the position you push or pull it to, so the lever loads could be much, much lighter.
    It's not worth £2,000 plus though is it?
  • thel33ter
    DesWeller wrote:
    The system is sealed so the mech just moves to the position you push or pull it to

So you've basically simplified this to a £2000 unindexed thumbshifter :lol:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • desweller
    Ha, well yes the price is a wee bit steep.

But that's for the early adopters ain't it?

As for the friction shifters comparison, it should be much lighter than that, no? Friction shifters have to resist the derailleur return spring load, but there is no return spring at all on a push-pull hydraulic cylinder so it should be super precise and super light to use.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Anonymous
    If it's super light, it will be useless. I don't know if you've noticed, but bikes are shaken around a fair bit off road. Super light shifting action = BAAAAD.
    There comes a point (which I'd say we've already arrived at) where we just don't need a lighter shifting action.
    I've not (even with SRAM) thought, DAMMIT, I need a lighter shifting action.

Now, unless I bring it up, some other retard will say "meh meh meh, but that's what people said about V brakes".
    Well, no, V-brake users suffered in the wet, and frequently wanted more easily modulated power.
  • desweller
    <grumbles>bloody bowden cable-loving luddites<wanders off to toolshed>

I don't know what the latest kit is like, to be fair. My only flat bar bike is 8-speed and I reckon the shifter action on that is too heavy (against the return spring, that is), though. I think my road shifters are a bit on the heavy side though so what do I know?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • thel33ter
    Yea, it will be lighter, but it's not like I snap my fingers off trying to change gear, you need that bit of resistance or you'll be constantly misshifting or shifting accidentaly.

Also looks like you'll have lots of fun with the cable routing as there are 2 cables for each mech, time to break out the zipties.

Finally, machined mechs don't have a great track record, just think of pauls rear mechs, pretty but overall rubbidh.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Are your road shifters combined with the brake levers? So that you flick the lever to change gears, I mean.
    If so, chances are they've been made that heavy to avoid accidental shifting.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the action is lighter one way because of no spring, then surely with the cable and spring is is lighter tother? Maybe.

My Shimano is so light anyway I can't imagine much lighter would be of use.
  • thel33ter
    My roadie has a Dura Ace rear mech, the return spring is perfect, changes smoothly and quickly but I can shift it with one finger no problem. The shifters are 105 8 speeds.

If you really struggle that much to change gear take up a new sport, maybe chess, the pieces normally move quite easily :lol:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:
    My roadie has a Dura Ace rear mech, the return spring is perfect, changes smoothly and quickly but I can shift it with one finger no problem. The shifters are 105 8 speeds.
    Oh that must be SOOOO nice. I need to get off my bike, and use both hands, whilst bracing my feet against a nearby tree to change gear on my mountain bike.
  • thel33ter
    Funny you say that, on my old Kona you couldn't get into the big ring at the front without doing that, never worked out what was wrong, so the big ring was replaced with a bash.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    So potentially I'd have to bleed my brakes, gears and seatpost in future... think I'll pass on this one. Electronic XTR must be just round the corner anyway...
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    So potentially I'd have to bleed my brakes, gears and seatpost in future... think I'll pass on this one. Electronic XTR must be just round the corner anyway...

never mind that, think ahead and otside the box, ive got wind powered shifters :lol::lol:
  • thel33ter

never mind that, think ahead and otside the box, ive got wind powered shifters :lol::lol:

It has been done :lol:

2038980300_dc4abefec5_b.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Ithink once they have been out for longer and other companies start to make them they could take off... but at that price tag.. i'd rather keep the cables at the mo!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838