Amstel Gold

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Some big names for next weekend, including 2nd and 3rd in Paris-Roubaix last week:

http://www.amstelgoldrace.nl/index.php? ... guageId=12

Gilbert could make it 2 in a row but there are too many good riders to call it easily.
Also, one extra climb this year (Geulemmerweg), which is a few hundred metres and not too steep.

Current forecast is for light rain. 18 degrees and gentle S.Easterly winds..Looks like an interesting race...

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sprint up the Cauberg?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Is this race too hilly for Canc? Harmon and Kelly seemed to think it was and that he wouldn't be riding but he did well in Mendrisio a few years back. I've never watched Amstel but I assume the hills aren't up there with L-B-L? Maybe not going in as favourite could give him a chance.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Is this race too hilly for Canc? Harmon and Kelly seemed to think it was and that he wouldn't be riding but he did well in Mendrisio a few years back. I've never watched Amstel but I assume the hills aren't up there with L-B-L? Maybe not going in as favourite could give him a chance.

Not when he weighs 92 kilos all kitted up..........
  • Pross
    Yeah, but with his real weight of around 80kg does he have a chance ? :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Nah, in all seriousness, he'd have to skip the cobbles and lose some serious weight.

It's also very tough to be in that top form needed through most of March AND April.

No idea how Gilbert does it - no other rider seems to be able to.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

Not when he weighs 92 kilos all kitted up..........

Deeeeeep breathes, now, let it go, let it go.......
  • rick_chasey
    It will still be a sprint up the Cauberg.

Just like Waalse Pijl will be a sprint up the other Muur...

Bring on Luik!

Having said all that, I do enjoy Amstel. The motherland gives me a glow...
  • pottssteve
    Pross wrote:

Chinny's on the start list, but that could change, of course.
    There are a few hills around, notably the Keutenberg, which apparently touches 20% or so. It's more of a rolling parcours than hilly, but with 32 climbs it grinds you down. The wind can also be a factor up on the plateau,and the roads are too small to echelon.

I climbed the Keutenberg yesterday, slowly, and I weigh 80kg (minus the bike!), so he'll get up it, but the lighter boys will certaintly have an advantage...
  • Pross
    How long is the Keutenburg as he seems to enjoy the steep power climbs of Flanders.
  • pottssteve
    Not that long:

http://www.hardfietsen.nl/nl/cols/23/ke ... g/profiel/

It's also the last climb (except for the Cauberg, where the race finishes). The Cauberg gets up to about 12% so.
  • Absolutely love this race. Gilbert's attack on the cauberg last year was one of the classiest I've seen. Non-chalant genius and ridiculous power - just head and shoulders better than the rest.

I wonder how the pure climbers will do this year. Anyone know what the schlecks are planning for ardennes week? Reckon their basque country showing is nothing to go by and they'll be very dangerous particularly at LBL.
  • pottssteve
    Absolutely love this race. Gilbert's attack on the cauberg last year was one of the classiest I've seen. Non-chalant genius and ridiculous power - just head and shoulders better than the rest.

I wonder how the pure climbers will do this year. Anyone know what the schlecks are planning for ardennes week? Reckon their basque country showing is nothing to go by and they'll be very dangerous particularly at LBL.

Agreed. The Cauberg is hard work and to fly up it that fast is impressive. Both Schlecks are listed to ride - it's a nice warm-up for LBL. Riding around here I think it's certainly not a pure climber's course - it's very rolling with a few shortish, sharpish ascents. Perfect for the likes of Gilbert, Gesink etc; strong riders who can climb.
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    I think Cadel Evans will be strong this year.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    "I wonder how the pure climbers will do this year. Anyone know what the schlecks are planning for ardennes week? Reckon their basque country showing is nothing to go by and they'll be very dangerous particularly at LBL."

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank in the mix this weekend, certainly at LBL.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The finish at Amstel is ideally suited to a 'puncheur' like Gilbert, Cunego, Evans or Vino and previously riders like Bettini. The Schlecks only have a chance if they break-away, plus the Cauberg is probably too long for someone like Sparticus
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The Schlecks only have a chance if they break-away
    Perhaps, but Frank has a good history in this race.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    JAGGY wrote:
    I think Cadel Evans will be strong this year.

Thought he was skipping the Ardennes?

Strava is not Zen.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Monty Dog wrote:

Didn’t he have a really bad crash one year!
    Mañana
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    edited April 2011
    Absolutely love this race. Gilbert's attack on the cauberg last year was one of the classiest I've seen. Non-chalant genius and ridiculous power - just head and shoulders better than the rest.

I agree, though I think Evans attacked too early on the Cauberg and so ran out of steam and then had to save it for Fleche Wallonne.

I'm backing Evans to time his attack better this year and win it, though Gilbert is in stunning form.
  • rick_chasey
    pb21 wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Didn’t he have a really bad crash one year!

Oui.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    "The Schlecks only have a chance if they break-away"

Andy Schleck did OK on the Mur De Huy a couple of years ago, second behind Rebellin, beating Evans, Cunego, Valverde, Sanchez....

Is the Cauberg really that different?
  • rick_chasey
    "The Schlecks only have a chance if they break-away"

Andy Schleck did OK on the Mur De Huy a couple of years ago, second behind Rebellin, beating Evans, Cunego, Valverde, Sanchez....

Is the Cauberg really that different?

Yes it is.
  • rick_chasey
    cauberg.gif Cauberg

Mur_de_Huy_Huy_2_profile.gifMuur
  • pottssteve
    The Muur seems a little steeper!

I ride up the Cauberg sometimes (I don't like it much, it's quite a busy road). It's not that hard, only the middle 200m or so are tough-ish. However, it does bend a bit near the finish so riders can save a bit of distance by taking a line on the left of the road as they go up, though this would make it a little steeper.

After the Keutenberg there's a few km of flat riding and then a downhill into Valkenberg itself before the final run up the Cauberg. So even if someone gets the jump on the Keutenberg they could still be caught on the run-in. I'd agree it suits the strong rider who can also climb.

Either way, it's getting exciting around here - my work overlooks a hotel where many of the teams stay so I'll have my binoculars out from tomorrow onwards, checking out their form!

Steve
  • Yep, the course definitely favours puncheurs but climbers can do well here too. Anyone from a gilbert style rider to a f schleck style rider could win which is one of the things that makes it so interesting.

The climbers will need a fast pace up the later hills though so I'd expect a schleck to do this for frank towards the end.

Probably more likely a puncheur will win though.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Cauberg really isn't hard. Almost anyone could ride up, the difference is that the pros will use something like 52x15/16 and sprint up. Only a few can sustain this.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Absolutely love this race. Gilbert's attack on the cauberg last year was one of the classiest I've seen.

I just watched this on YT. OMG! Excellent timing and determination - he's a good rider.
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Does anyone know of a venue in London that will show the race live?
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Try Lookmumnohands on Old Street, it's a cycling cafe that tends to show the big races.
  • pottssteve
    Weather forecast's changed - now predicting dry with a gentle (16km/hr) wind, 18 degrees at noon.

Beeeeaaaauuuutiful!