London Cycle Challenge 2011 - Defending our title :-)

2»

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Asprilla wrote:
    Pfft, if I wanted to just win, I'm eligible for the Beeb as well. This is more about doing it for BR.

Bigger category= more money for whichever charity we donate the prize to. And I'd rather do more good than less. Last year, we got £350 worth of vouchers, the 100+ category prize was £750, and the second prize was still £350. That's the only reason I suggested it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    Mattsaw wrote:
    To take part what kind of milage expectation is there? I normally commute around 500 miles in a month and can top that up with weekend rides and RP laps.

Well, if we stick with the 51-100 category, the more big-milers the better. You'll fit right in :)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    :shock:

WTF stu mix with the enemy??? next you'll be suggesting we talk to LFGSS :shock:

Keep taking the meds dude :P

This from the man who's still comparing his mileage with those who are actually logging on SCStats (stop bluffing!!!)....:)
    All I'm saying: none of us are going to benefit personally from whatever we win, and with enough bods we could help out a charity even more than last year. Plus the kudos of kicking still more corporate butt...And the inter-forum rivalry would help rather than hinder it.

Excellent thinking! Only one team is going to win, so by collaborating with other cycling forums we can build a team that's almost guaranteed to win. That way, we could democratically choose the charity we donate the prize to, and we can keep a separate inter-forum rivalry using the same stats. If there's a limit to the number of riders in a team, can't we form the final team from the participants who have simply done the most miles? We could even end up with a whole bundle of us trying to make the cut and that challenge alone will boost the total miles.
  • stuaff
    Oh yes,
    As BJUK posted in the thread about last year's challenge:
    For those of you who haven't visited the site yet here's how our "group" ended up:
    51 – 100 (Social Groups)
    Team name 	Points
    Team SCR 	36270.54
    LFGSS 	30612.54
    London Cyclist 	24531.06

A firm thumping with a 6K point lead :-) More satisfying (and somewhat annoying) is that we (us and LFGSS) would have still come in the same positions had we been in the 100+ social groups category! Rather amusing and it does show that the "hole" in the group sizes is still present as London Cyclists appear third in our group and top of the 100+ group, presumably having exactly 100 members!
  • stuaff
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

WTF stu mix with the enemy??? next you'll be suggesting we talk to LFGSS :shock:

This from the man who's still comparing his mileage with those who are actually logging on SCStats (stop bluffing!!!)....:)
    All I'm saying: none of us are going to benefit personally from whatever we win, and with enough bods we could help out a charity even more than last year. Plus the kudos of kicking still more corporate butt...And the inter-forum rivalry would help rather than hinder it.

Excellent thinking! Only one team is going to win, so by collaborating with other cycling forums we can build a team that's almost guaranteed to win. That way, we could democratically choose the charity we donate the prize to, and we can keep a separate inter-forum rivalry using the same stats. If there's a limit to the number of riders in a team, can't we form the final team from the participants who have simply done the most miles? We could even end up with a whole bundle of us trying to make the cut and that challenge alone will boost the total miles.

More than that: we could try to get a clean sweep of every category by careful squad selection. 51 audaxers versus 91 bankers? No contest! :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    StuAff wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Pfft, if I wanted to just win, I'm eligible for the Beeb as well. This is more about doing it for BR.

Bigger category= more money for whichever charity we donate the prize to. And I'd rather do more good than less. Last year, we got £350 worth of vouchers, the 100+ category prize was £750, and the second prize was still £350. That's the only reason I suggested it.

Good point, well made.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm in :)

Don't think we should worry about trying to get as many prizes as possible and should accept the group we end up in with the sign-ups.

I like the idea of any prize going to the same charity again this year if we win one
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,635
    StuAff wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

More than that: we could try to get a clean sweep of every category by careful squad selection. 51 audaxers versus 91 bankers? No contest! :)

Sounds a bit boring having a team guaranteed to win, even if we do have to compete just to be allowed in it. I vote we do it the same as last year.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Last year the there were 53000 miles logged on the SC stats in June.
  • I'm up for this. How exactly does it work?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • asprilla
    I'm up for this. How exactly does it work?

When it opens you register for the team and then log any miles your ride during the month.

It's fairly straight forward.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    JZed wrote:
    Last year the there were 53000 miles logged on the SC stats in June.

Yup, but quite a few of those didn't register for the TfL...!!
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I'm up for this. How exactly does it work?

When it opens you register for the team and then log any miles your ride during the month.

It's fairly straight forward.

That seems like something I can handle. When it starts I should be back working in Soho again as well, so will be able to contribute 12 miles a day instead of a pitiful 4.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Sounds a good excuse to tack a lap or two of the park on the end of each commute :) Possibly the start too, but I <3 my sleep too much.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    In, especially given I've almost trebled my daily commute distance.
  • asprilla
    OK, team registration opens on Monday, but this year it's running from the 18th June to 15th July. That means my Dragon miles won't count.

Buggers.

Guess I'll need to find some more sportives in that time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ooh but marmotte miles will :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I'm in providing West Yorkshire is still allowed! I do about 150 miles per week, is that ok?

Ben
  • asprilla
    edited May 2011
    Deleted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    I'm in providing West Yorkshire is still allowed! I do about 150 miles per week, is that ok?

Ben

Shhhhh.
    West of York Road in Wandsworth, you mean?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    Shhhhh.

West Yorkshire Road, in Streatham, you mean?
    Asprilla wrote:
    Shhhhh.
    West of York Road in Wandsworth, you mean?

First was better
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    Damn edit fail.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • prj45