London Cycle Challenge 2011 - Defending our title :-)

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I received an e-mail from a kind chap @ TFL earlier advising they are running the Cycle Challenge again this year :-)

As last years winners of the 51-100 Social Category he wanted to know if we would be competing again.

Before I reply back with something like "Duh! Does the Pope sh!t in the woods?" I wanted to check up peoples feelings on the second part of his request.....

They are looking to do a promotional video for the event and he's also like to know if we are interested in taking part?

I know a group of fiercely competitive riders aren't going to let LFGSS try and take our title away this year but who's up for a bit of blatant self promotion and a chance to appear in a TFL video?

I'd be quite happy to be on the other side of the camera for a change but have held off replying just yet....
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Are we going to be extending the boundaries of London again this year? 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Are we going to be extending the boundaries of London again this year? 8)

If they can do it for the Olympics they can do it for this.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Given that this year I've probably doubled my weekly mileage I'm totaly up for this. Lets see LFGSS try, and then crush them underneath our wheels :wink:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm in :twisted:
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,635
    Yeah I'll do it again
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Me in too.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    What are the starting and stopping dates? Hoping to get somewhere near a bike AnyMonthNow....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    edited April 2011
    davis wrote:
    What are the starting and stopping dates? Hoping to get somewhere near a bike AnyMonthNow....

It's usually from the beginning to the end of June.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm in.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Reading's quite near London
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Asprilla wrote:
    davis wrote:

It's usually from the beginning to the end of June.

Yeah it's running during June again :-) Once they get the sign-up page sorted I'll post the link then we can proceed to destroy everyone again!

June is looking like a good month to extend a commute and get a nice recording of a lap (or several) of Richmond Park :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I take it it's a millage challenge then?

Yes I'm in.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Sketchley wrote:
    I take it it's a millage challenge then?

Yes I'm in.

Yeah, last year it was a mileage/points challenge. IIRC you scored 5 pt. per mile up to 50, 2 per mile for 51-100 then 1 for every mile after 101 - This meant that after the first week most of the team where already scoring 1 pt. per mile after the first week :-)

We also had the Magnicificat fall on that month last year which was a useful 130 points each for the several riders that took part in the middle of the month. It went almost to the wire last year and we had to get a couple of judges rulings due to a few DBA "issues"(1 team ended up in 2 categories!) but we came home victorious :-)

We received £350 of leisure vouchers which where donated, after a vote, to Wheels for Wellbeing, who where extremely grateful for the generous gift :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Is Glasgow close enough to get signed up for a few miles?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is Glasgow close enough to get signed up for a few miles?

It doesn't matter, I added tour miles last year! Must have clocked nearly 1200 miles that month :twisted:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I'm in again
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    How do you proove how many miles you have done? Its the month prior to Marmotte.

Im in.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    As last years winners of the 51-100 Social Category he wanted to know if we would be competing again.

Before I reply back with something like "Duh! Does the Pope sh!t in the woods?" I wanted to check up peoples feelings on the second part of his request.....

They are looking to do a promotional video for the event and he's also like to know if we are interested in taking part?

HELL YEAH
  • Is Glasgow close enough to get signed up for a few miles?

I believe that Edinburgh was seconded into Greater London for the purposes of a late charge...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Liverpool is kinda the new London isnt it?

if so sign me up sarg!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • asprilla
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    How do you proove how many miles you have done? Its the month prior to Marmotte.

Im in.

It's done on trust.

It's the same month as the Dragon though...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    The bad news: Only the second half of my LeJOG will count (setting off May 28, arriving JOG June 4).
    The good news: That's still 450-odd miles :)
    Oh, and all the usual silliness (Dun Run rehearsal, FNRttC, probably another ton or two somewhere or other).
    I take it that'll all come in handy? :lol:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    I had an idea, thought I'd run it past you lot....
    Why don't we try and win the whole darn thing? In terms of miles per bod I think we were easily ahead of any other team in any other category of the competition. Those who sign up and don't log, or don't do that much mileage, could still make a useful contribution.
    But you say, 'we need more people, all the same'. Correct- which is my next idea. YACF won their category last year (up to 50 members), and there are some very high-mileage people on CycleChat as well- both fora have a lot of audaxers, for a start. There are 10 people, apart from me, on the CC group on mycyclinglog.com with more than 2k for the year to date. Apart from myself, vorsprung and a few others, most of that lot don't regularly post over here (there is more cross-membership of the other two, but many still stick to one or the other. But a combined 'Yet Another Silly Chat Team' could wipe the floor with even the Beeb....
    In terms of inter-forum rivalry, there would still be plenty of scope to compete amongst ourselves ;)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :shock:

WTF stu mix with the enemy??? next you'll be suggesting we talk to LFGSS :shock:

Keep taking the meds dude :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    To take part what kind of milage expectation is there? I normally commute around 500 miles in a month and can top that up with weekend rides and RP laps.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    :shock:

WTF stu mix with the enemy??? next you'll be suggesting we talk to LFGSS :shock:

Keep taking the meds dude :P

This from the man who's still comparing his mileage with those who are actually logging on SCStats (stop bluffing!!!)....:)
    All I'm saying: none of us are going to benefit personally from whatever we win, and with enough bods we could help out a charity even more than last year. Plus the kudos of kicking still more corporate butt...And the inter-forum rivalry would help rather than hinder it.
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    I'm in again - last year's challenge is what got me to stop taking the train, start riding the whole distance, and justified buying n+1.

Wonder if I'll be allowed N+1 again for this year's?
  • asprilla
    StuAff wrote:
    I had an idea, thought I'd run it past you lot....
    Why don't we try and win the whole darn thing? In terms of miles per bod I think we were easily ahead of any other team in any other category of the competition. Those who sign up and don't log, or don't do that much mileage, could still make a useful contribution.
    But you say, 'we need more people, all the same'. Correct- which is my next idea. YACF won their category last year (up to 50 members), and there are some very high-mileage people on CycleChat as well- both fora have a lot of audaxers, for a start. There are 10 people, apart from me, on the CC group on mycyclinglog.com with more than 2k for the year to date. Apart from myself, vorsprung and a few others, most of that lot don't regularly post over here (there is more cross-membership of the other two, but many still stick to one or the other. But a combined 'Yet Another Silly Chat Team' could wipe the floor with even the Beeb....
    In terms of inter-forum rivalry, there would still be plenty of scope to compete amongst ourselves ;)

Pfft, if I wanted to just win, I'm eligible for the Beeb as well. This is more about doing it for BR.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3