Which vehicle makes your blood run cold?

124»

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    For me it is anything pulling a trailer:

- You get that split second of clean air between vehicle & trailer, which I'm sure air pressure tries to move you into, and then the trailer comes thundering through.

- The person driving drives like they don't have a trailer and start to move back too soon

- The load on the trailer can be wider than the vehicle but no extra consideration is given.

+1

Ironically, these things. I was following one once, and the way that trailer swung about as well as being twice as wide as the vehicle pulling it made me very careful about overtaking it.

4972412772_58d54a0597.jpg
  • Actually the Police in the West End are pretty bad drivers as well. Several times I've seen them turn on their blue lights at a red traffic light, drive through without stopping and then turn their light off when they are through the junction. Essentially they are just RLJing
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Golf GTIs, specifically in South East London. Perfectly nice cars, but popular with a certain type of boy racer down my way who feels driving is a competition and that taking pointless, fast risks shows them to be better/cooler than anyone else on the road.
  • I'm surprised no one has mentioned the commuter coaches that carry people who can't afford train fares into London every morning. Clarkes and Travel Link are definitely the worst.

Besides them it has to be dawdling, meandering cyclists.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the commuter coaches that carry people who can't afford train fares into London every morning. Clarkes and Travel Link are definitely the worst.

And the balsted foriegn coachs on Embankment with doors that opn on wrong side with load of school kids in rush hour....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the commuter coaches that carry people who can't afford train fares into London every morning. Clarkes and Travel Link are definitely the worst.

And the balsted foriegn coachs on Embankment with doors that opn on wrong side with load of school kids in rush hour....

Oooooooh THIS!

Also anything with a personalised number plate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I got cut up by the EasyBus this evening and then noticed he was being followed by an AL people carrier who was indicating to come into my lane. I found God at that precise moment.

I lost him again going over Putney Bridge; he can't filter for toffee.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    The ones driven, or ridden, by phucktards.

this.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anything with black paint work and blacked out windows.

Anything with the minicab sticker in the window.

HGVs or all varieties.

DDD you'd hate my commute.

A moderate amount of traffic, but about 20% of it is made up of quarry lorries, and a lot of articulated tankers too.

In fact that is the reason I haven't gone to SPDs as I don't fancy the inevitable stop at a junction and slowly toppling under one in the other lane, just before it swings wide to go round the steep junction

Here

The main road is the A6, and if you look at the picture, you can see the tyre marks from the HGVs struggling to make that corner. The Westward direction is worse, as that is when the traffic lights mean that the lorries might be swinging round.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Has to be bus drivers for me - the way they overtake and then cut in way too early. Also had a couple of incidents where they passed deliberately close to "punish" me for using a bus lane and holding them up - I know they did it on purpose as they told me I shouldn't have been there when I caught them up in traffic. I've had three stand up rows with them in the last couple of years.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Oooooooh THIS!

Ride straight at them - they soon move :twisted:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Fat middle aged housewives who have never been on a bike in their lives and no understanding of the space needed. Anyone ever notice how many drivers pull out past you and THEN change down a gear showing no forethought at all as to how drive their machine.

Citroen Picassos just wrong in so many ways.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    New Malden. Huge Korean community, scary drivers. Don't ask me why.
  • -London specific again-

Not scary but always sent a chill down the spine before I abandoned the Smoke:

London Dynamo chaingangs in Richmond Park. The Star Wars stormtrooper music playing in the background as they crush all in their path...
    Commuter Clunker FCN 9/10
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    JZed wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Oooooooh THIS!

Ride straight at them - they soon move :twisted:

Jonny Foreigner eh? They don't like it up 'em!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Vans and Range Rovers myself.

Just had an idiot in a van coming home just now.

Heading down the hill here:
    http://tinyurl.com/3qvfzu7

a van tries to get past. I am doing 25mph. I can feel him right up my backside, I keep going as the light changes on the pedestrian crossing traffic light to avoid him rear ending me, but have to stop a couple of lights along here:

http://tinyurl.com/44ojwql

I am stopped at the light and van driver, who stopped at the pedestrian crossing, catches up and tries to position himself to my right, so I move to the right in front of him, revving his engine. I set off at top speed, and as I get to the top of the hill, doing 22mph, I can't hear van driver any more, so look round and he's turning right a few yards back, to his office (Joint Technologies Woking).

I would understand it more if they did it on the open road, but in stop start urban conditions it doesn't make sense.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Cyclists.

They are the worst. Most unpredictable.

It's not the Zombie cyclists that are the problem. - You know, the ones which just go ssloowly onn and oon aand oon and onn, regardless of traffic or lights or road markings - they're too slow to be a real threat.

Running red lights blind at speed across my path. I'm looking where they're coming from, cos that's the direction I can't see in. But it's no use.

Waiting on red, and then getting bored of waiting while I'm going through at 20mph.

Running into the back of me when I've been slowing down, and signalling left for the last 15 seconds.

Deciding that they can get across from their blind entance, cos the lights have't been red for long, and that dozy old git waiting to go is just slow.

Overtaking on the inside on a tight blind left. when I'm worrying about what's arround the blind corner.

Cutting up my kids, even when the kids have clearly indicated in good time what thy're doing.

Cyclists are shite.

Drop the bomb. Exterminate them all.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Asprilla wrote:
    I found God at that precise moment.

I lost him again going over Putney Bridge; he can't filter for toffee.
    :twisted:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I hate getting overtaken by these, it always feels like they move back across to quickly. Not sure if it's perceptual or if it's because the driver is used to something half as long.

OM41309-1.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    dhope wrote:
    Anecdotal evidence would suggest Addison Lee drivers. It's all subjective b0110cks of course though.

Definately Addison Lee, I've noticed that as well, they're all driven by monkey brained retards!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    agg25 wrote:
    they're all driven by monkey brained retards!

Could you be more specific please - this comment describes every vehicle ever driven by a human being.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My TT bike. Scares me witless every time I ride it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Other cyclists....Amazed at how some people think they can abuse the road, pavements and not bother looking around them or be aware.