Which vehicle makes your blood run cold?

cycladianpirate
cycladianpirate Posts: 122
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
OK. This must have been done before but despite lots of attempts to find it I've failed. Someone, somewhere must have done a survey on the most dangerous/annoying/inconsiderate vehicle drivers gracing the streets of this fair land - anyone recall the thread?

I mean, of course, purely in terms of the vehicle driven - no nasty stuff.

By the bye, if it wasn't bus drivers, I will be amazed.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Anecdotal evidence would suggest Addison Lee drivers. It's all subjective b0110cks of course though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Scaffolding and skip lorries.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • So is this vehicles or drivers?

Mine is scoda octavia - used as a taxi, lol.

It always seems to be taxis passing really close, overtaking in pinchpoints and generally not giving enough room.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Skip lorries and minicabs
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Cement Mixer
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Ford Fiesta

or

BMW X4 towing a horse box
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    No-ones mentioned white vans. Maybe they are not as bad as they are generally portrayed?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    White vans round here are normally ok as are bus drivers
  • Those black Audis with the fairy sidelights beneath the headlamps are almost uniformly driven by people who seem to have absolutely no understanding of other road users. They make me shiver.

VW Golf drivers all seem to think they're expert, sporty drivers. Which means they drive faster and more dangerously than they're capable of. Though they make me more angry than frightened.

New minis. Driven by people who think they're smaller and nippier than they are...

In short, people who seem to be driving - or driven by - an image more than a means of transport. And whose safety inside the car means they can no longer assess the risk they pose to others outside the car.

Minicabbies who have apparently been driving non-stop for at least a 36-hour shift and who last used their indicators when they renewed their insurance.

Damn, I could go on and on...
  • sketchley
    Pink Bikes!
    --
    Chris

• cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    HGVs, all types. Whether the driver is competant or not, i can't forget the statistic that they make up 4% of london traffic, but account for 40% of cyclist casualties. Very unnerving when you can feel one behind you.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    The ones driven, or ridden, by phucktards.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    .....VW Golf drivers all seem to think they're expert, sporty drivers. ...

+1
    VW Golf, the car of choice for the smug and over-confident.
    Misguided Idealist
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    condorman wrote:
    Scaffolding and skip lorries.

Also vehicle recovery trucks.

I think the common theme is that they're of unpredictable size and have bits sticking out all over the place. That, and they always seem to be driven in a manner that suggests the driver doesn't really know precisely how large their vehicle is.
  • VW Passats, maybe they have very poor visibility or maybe they're just driven by people with poor spacial awareness (or people who should be wearing glasses to drive) most ouf my near misses seem to involve them though. Also ladies in Minis and Fiat 500's who seem to be concentrating on anything but the road.

Most courteous seem to be tractors, HGV's (artics at least) and white vans (most of them, but not all)
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Sketchley wrote:
    Pink Bikes!

What's wrong with pink bikes?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Blacked out Addison Lee mpvs, just full of arrogance and Ignorance in equal measures.
    .....In London anyway.
  • sketchley
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Pink Bikes!

What's wrong with pink bikes?

What's right with them?
    --
    Chris

• sjacob33
    sjacob33 Posts: 38
    B-bloody-Doubles (Rural Queensland Aus)
    Nothing they are doing wrong they are just big and even if they go to the wrong side of the road they are still making a big air wave that wakes me up quick smart.

For those not sure what I’m talking about
    19m%20B-Double%20Tipperpx400.jpgImage not my own copyright and ownership belongs to original web address owner

Cheers Steve
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited April 2011
    It has to be these for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHIek9kYTo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oi! I drive a Golf! Safely, within speed limits and with respect for two wheels whether engine powered or not. Amazing how time spent on 'em teaches you how to treat 'em with consideration.

For me it's the sound of drum n' bass or rap through a speaker system designed to put the (music) outside rather than inside the car coming up from behind me. Always indicates the mentality that wants to show off - and generally without the maturity, skills or mechanical integrity to be remotely safe when doing it.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    No-ones mentioned white vans. Maybe they are not as bad as they are generally portrayed?

Oddly enough, this is a vehicle I have never had any trouble with. Skip Lorries yes - but more because of the job they're doing (and thereby blocking up the road).
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    fuelex wrote:
    Blacked out Addison Lee mpvs, just full of arrogance and Ignorance in equal measures.
    .....In London anyway.

+1 - I can't stand Addison Lee drivers
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • +1 for any of those private hire mpv drivers. It's gotten to a point that whenever a car passes too close for comfort the first thing I look for is one of those purple stickers in the back window.

Surely there should be some sort of test for drivers to become cabbies. I know black cab drivers have to do a test and in general I find them to be quite good about leaving space when passing.

People on scooters whipping in and out of the traffic into the cycle lanes are quite annoying as well. The motorised ones, not the fold up ones with tiny wheels :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Which vehicle makes my blood run cold?

Only this one...........

BarrisCar.jpg

(luckily I haven't found it on my commute yet but I check every corner I pass.......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    It used to be those brown parcel vans that seem to be based at Euston Station; but they seem alright now. There's a new kind of taxi that looks like a people-carrier, is black with tinted windows and has the London Transport emblem on the rear windscreen which is invariably driven by a total ar5e.

Hah! Just looked back at this thread and I think that I'm referring to the Addison Lee cabs.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    HGVs, all types. Whether the driver is competant or not, i can't forget the statistic that they make up 4% of london traffic, but account for 40% of cyclist casualties. Very unnerving when you can feel one behind you.
    Surprisingly the statistics for traffic and fatal accidents on Motorways is very similar. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that these things can be used safely
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    For me, it's got to be Mercedes, primarily silver ones (mostly because they're pretty much all silver). If I see a silver Merc (especially an Estate), my road awareness jumps by a factor of 10 because I know they're gonna do something stupid.
  • danbrum
    danbrum Posts: 45
    BMWs are most likely to be driven badly, buses and HGVs the most unnerving but that's usually not the drivers fault.
  • danbrum wrote:
    buses and HGVs the most unnerving but that's usually not the drivers fault.

Its more the noise from there engine and there size thats intimidating... up here (Scotland) i`ve never had a problem with them*

* i have only been commuting for a few months - maybe this question will be asked a year down the line :lol: