Dunlop valves

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    t4tomo wrote:
    They seem to be very commonplace in the Netherlands.

is that why the are sometimes called Hollands Valves?

*shrugs*

All I know is my mother got into an argument with the local bike shop, firstly because they didn't have a pressured hose to pump tyres up with outside the shop, and then because he said "I've never seen a valve like that before!" to her dunlop valve.

That started a long succession of failed bike shop visits, which ultimately end up with an argument, and my mum saying how amazing the Netherlands is and how crap English shops are.. :roll:

She has a point about the bike shops here though....
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    t4tomo wrote:
    They seem to be very commonplace in the Netherlands.

is that why the are sometimes called Hollands Valves?

Not heard that before. Though I see it was on the box you quoted?

Googling Holland valve doesn't seem to bring it up either. Historically, I knew them as "normal" valves, as opposed to "car type" (Schraeder) or "presta"... No longer considered "normal", I think... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wikipedia says:
    The Dunlop valve, (also called a Woods valve or an English valve) is a type of pneumatic valve stem in use in Japan,[1] Czech Republic, Russia, the Netherlands, Germany, Britain, Finland, Sweden, and developing countries. It has a wider base than a Presta valve, similar in size to a Schrader valve, but it can be inflated with Presta valve adapter.[2] The inner mechanism of the valve can be replaced easily, without the need for special tools.

and
    Dunlop valves, (also called Woods valves or English valves) were once popular in Great Britain. They are still widely used on bicycle tires in many countries (Japan,[1] India, Russia, the Netherlands, Germany, Finland, Sweden, and developing countries), especially on low to medium priced[citation needed] bicycles.