Dunlop valves

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
The nice man in the bike shop in Essex sold me some tubes for my shopper which have 'dunlop valves'. He told me that these could be inflated with the presta part of my pump, and I have one simple question for the hive mind:

How?

328px-Dunlop_valve.jpg

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Screw the presta adapter onto the valve and pump away. The mechaniscs of teh valve are inside, unscrew the collar and it will come apart.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I didn't know the answer but found this comment somewhere on tinternet:

Is it possible to pump a Dunlop valve with a Presta/Schraeder Pump ?

My mini-pump has two heads. The instructions state that the same head serves Presta and Dunlop. The other head serves Schrader.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    A screw-on Presta adapter tube works fine- the threads are the same on Presta & Dunlop. If you have a pump with a flexible tube that screws on to a Presta, it'll do both.

A push-fit pump may not fit onto a Dunlop properly because of the limited length of thread above the shoulder.
    Depends how much engagement your push-fit pump needs.

Cheers,
    W.
  • lost_in_thought
    Ah, OK, mine's a push-fit one, and doesn't seem to be doing anything to actually inflate the tube at all.

Damn.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why didn't you just get tubes with presta valves? I don't think I've ever seen anywhere selling Dunlop ones!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lost_in_thought
    bails87 wrote:
    Why didn't you just get tubes with presta valves? I don't think I've ever seen anywhere selling Dunlop ones!

Well now that's helpful isn't it? :P

He only had the tubes in that size with a dunlop valve and I'm into buying from local independent businesses wherever possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ... I'm into buying from local independent businesses wherever possible.

Well said.
    Big chains (of all types of shop) and the internet is killing local independents and resulting in empty shops in high streets (probably with a Tesco on one side and a Greggs on the other).

I blame Wiggle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    You could get presta/dunlop to schraeder adaptor and then your push fit pump should be able to lock on to that.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/zefal-zefal-schrader-presta-adaptor-and-o-ring-prod20265/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

He only had the tubes in that size with a dunlop valve and I'm into buying from local independent businesses wherever possible.
    :lol:

It just seemed odd, every 'LBS' I've been into has had a million variations of Presta and Schraeder valved tubes, but no Dunlop ones. It seemed like the kind of thing that you'd have to go out of your way to find, rather than something that was impossible to avoid.

I'm into buying from good business that have what I want to buy at a reasonable price :Wink:
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    What are the relative advantages of one valve type over another?

• bails87
    You can pump up shraer and presta. You can't pump up dunlop. If they're not supplied in your desired pressure then you're in trouble :P
    MTB/CX

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    edited April 2011
    Not sure exactly, but I would guess that presta are better at holding high pressures, but schraeder are a bit more robust, hence their respective uses on road bikes and MTBs.

EDIT: not so sure about the pressure bit, but the presta is also smaller - a schraeder takes a big chunk out of a narrow road rim. Err... yeah, what Bails said.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    Schraeder also mean drilling a bigger hole in the rim, which is more of a problem on narrower road rims.
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    I used to think it was because Presta valves can handle higher pressures, but I recently found out that bus tyres run at 110psi+ and they use Schraeder valves.

Woods and Dunlop valves, I can't remember ever seeing in real life, only in books or online. A bit like unicorns!

• DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    bails87 wrote:

26 * 1 3/8?

They are most common in woods/dunlop valves.

Did you get them from Halstead? I seem to remember that's your essex location?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'm into buying from local independent businesses wherever possible.

Fully supportive of that, but not when all they have to offer is something I'm likely to see on the Antiques Roadshow in the near future!
  • lost_in_thought
    edited April 2011
    DaveHudson wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

26 * 1 3/8?

They are most common in woods/dunlop valves.

Did you get them from Halstead? I seem to remember that's your essex location?

In all honesty I can't remember the size, but yes, from EDITED in Halstead.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    bails87 wrote:

Exactly!! This is why I handed over £71.98 to my LBS to redial my gears and add brake blocks....

Yet everyone had a go at me, took my D away and called me Beta... :x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DaveHudson
    edited April 2011
    Editied to keep the peace.
  • lost_in_thought
    DaveHudson wrote:
    Ahhh that explains it all, They are a useless bunch of monkeys :lol:
    Who served you? Steve (older guy) or Chris (chunky fellow)

I have worked for Steves brother for over ten years. They are both great lads and seem to be doing quite well in that shop.
    Steve moved to spain for 4 years then had enough and came back. His wife was driving through Halstead and noticed their old shop was back up for rent so they went back in. :)

They're a nice, helpful, friendly bunch who have been family friends via my brother (who worked for them) for a good number of years...

And they're not useless by any stretch of the imagination, they just happened to not realise that my pump's presta attachment was a push-on, not a screw-on. They've actually been excellent.

It's precisely that sort of off-the-cuff post that can cause bad publicity for a small local business.
  • DaveHudson
    What! It's a jovial post.

As I say I have known them for years and hold them in very high regard! :)
  • DaveHudson
    I'll remove my posts, Could you remove the edit. I fear you took my comments completely out of context. :cry:
  • bails87
    lost_in_thought
    I think it's fairly clear from the :lol: and the "they are both great lads" that Dave was joking :wink:
    MTB/CX

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Back on topic for a moment, Liv so tell me how were you intending on fixing a visit from the PF whilst commuting on this beast-bike?

You weren't riding sans repair kit were you?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ah many thanks to the search function I've found this thread.

I dug out Mrs Tomo's old puch single speed with basket from her univ days, which runs 24 * 1&3/8th. when I did it up a few years ago I managed to source new tyres and tubes with Dunlop valves (although the box says fahrrad / Woods / Hollands which i assume are alternative names).

Struggling with dunlop valve too as all my old style screw on pumps have long died/ replaced by push on. at least it explain why I used to be able to pump them up but no longer can.

Push valve no good but sure I have one of those adaptors somewhere in the garage. could be needle in haystack time or call into bikeshop on commute to work tmr!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I haven't seen one of those for... well, let's just say a long time. Thanks for that. Trip down memory lane.
  • t4tomo
    managed to find my adapter attached to my son's football pump. Air still holding in tyres this am so all good. No idea what pressure they are though as the guage doesn't work with a dunlop valve, so relying on the old "feels about right" method.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They seem to be very commonplace in the Netherlands.
  • t4tomo
    They seem to be very commonplace in the Netherlands.

is that why the are sometimes called Hollands Valves?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98