leaning on cars

2»

Comments

• I'm already chuckling at the thought of that gold-plated tosser's inevitable and expensive come-uppance.
    Like the depths of Antarctica, I don't need to actually see it to derive satisfaction from it.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When I was at Uni' I once had a cyclist (toe clips) lean on my car, on the roof right next to my open drivers window, excuse me says I, yes says he all innocent, do you mind not leaning on my car says I, not doing any harm satys he, Then you won't mind my car leaning on your bike at the next lights then? says I, he then got off.

Rude, ignorant and showing no regard for others, a no-no in my book.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It comes down to the fact that it is someone else's property and what right or excuse do you have for leaning on it?
    Ok most of the time no harm will come of it, but what happens when the vehicle is scratched by the leaning cyclist? The cyclist will not turn to the driver and say "sorry mate, I have jsut scratched your car". The first the driver will know about is when he finds the damage and then has to fork out for the cost to have it repaired.

IMHO this is a big no no
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Unless of course he was foreign - I know that in some other countries this is perfectly acceptible behaviour as cyclists aren't all regarded like dog sh!t abroad!

Ah, so cyclists can't do it here, but if a pedestrian decided to sit on your bonnet while you were at the lights that would be fine? :wink:

This isn't a cyclist hating thing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:
    Unless of course he was foreign - I know that in some other countries this is perfectly acceptible behaviour as cyclists aren't all regarded like dog sh!t abroad!

Ah, so cyclists can't do it here, but if a pedestrian decided to sit on your bonnet while you were at the lights that would be fine? :wink:

This isn't a cyclist hating thing.

If some pedestrian sat on my bonnet while I was sat at the lights they would experience a wild and windy 30 seconds and then a personal demonstration of the effect of gravity on an unsupported object moving at high speed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Wonder how that guy would feel if he chained up outside work and came back to find someone perched on his top tube while eating their lunch.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Had to lean on a car once. New to SPDs at the time and didn't get a paw to the ground in time. Leant on a convenient VW to stop myself falling onto it. Said sorry to the driver and got a nice smile (very cute driver).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Rude and a bit cheeky yes (so no I don't do it), but is it really doing any harm??

If there's any grit on the car or the cyclists's gloves then the car's paint can be scratched. Acidic sweat will eat through modern water-based car paint.

You just don't touch other people's cars.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Why p!ss people off?

Leaning against something isn't an advantage anyway. In the main I'm faster than Jesus

There I fixed that for you.
    He'd be faster if those sandals were spd :D

4315039430_bbfb7c126e.jpg
    Hat + Beard
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    unixnerd wrote:
    Had to lean on a car once. New to SPDs at the time and didn't get a paw to the ground in time. Leant on a convenient VW to stop myself falling onto it. Said sorry to the driver and got a nice smile (very cute driver).

I had a fellow cyclist fall onto the wing once through an 'unclipping malfunction'. Dude was mortified. But, it was an accident, and only pride was wounded. Certainly less painful for him than when I did the same and fell serenely into a stationary blackthorn hedge! :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    It comes down to the fact that it is someone else's property and what right or excuse do you have for leaning on it?

+1
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Whats the problem, simple jump forward a foot fast, as in letting your foot slop off the clutch or get triple air horns :twisted:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    If it's really that hard to unclip and stand up by yourself (you know, like a grown-up) then you should probably have a fettle of your pedal tension.

It makes you look like a bit of a nipple. Don't do it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.