leaning on cars

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
a few weeks back me and mrs mudcow where stuck at the traffic lights in our car when a roadie (liverpool century rider) rides up the inside of us an stops in front of us, behind the first car at the lights and instead of unclipped from their pedals he just leans on the side of the car!!

now im a cyclist but woudlnt dream of doing this.

what do you guys think?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Wouldn't class myself as a 'real' commuter (as I commute 4m round trip on my mtb), but I would never dream of doing this.

And if I was driving the car I would be very miffed at any cyclist using my car as a rest stop.
    FCN 7
  • Rude arrogant etc.

Next time ask him how he'd feel if it was the opposite way round?
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Very rude, wouldn't dream of it.
    Well, maybe on a taxi
    :wink:
    Misguided Idealist
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Bang out of order IMO.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wouldn't do it as a cyclist, would be annoyed if someone did it as a driver
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I lent on a car bonnet once, I was in the middle of having a clip-less moment :oops: the lady in the car laughed and off we went but no, rude and arrogant.
  • Rude and a bit cheeky yes (so no I don't do it), but is it really doing any harm??

Why can't we all just get along.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'll lean on a lorry or a bus though.
  • vaseline
    vaseline Posts: 46
    I've never thought of doing it, but I don't think I'd be so cheeky. I usually use the traffic light post or the railings on the side of the road.
  • That is quite cheeky.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • GrahamN
    GrahamN Posts: 66

+1
  • GrahamN
    GrahamN Posts: 66

+1
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    That Fiat ad is always worth watching again :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't do it, drivers see their cars as extensions of themselves, its an invasion of personal space. I do it to lorries and buses though.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Rude and a bit cheeky yes (so no I don't do it), but is it really doing any harm??

People are very protective of their metals tins and that's the way it is...
  • I'll lean on a lorry or a bus though.

And the difference?

They still think you're a prick
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Rude and a bit cheeky yes (so no I don't do it), but is it really doing any harm??

Indeed.

Simple rule - I don't lean on theirs. They don't lean on mine.

If it happens by accident, I'm good. But on purpose?

S'bout respecting what's mine, as I respect what's theirs. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069

And the difference?

They still think you're a prick

more likely they don't see you doing it ! :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've seen bus drivers roll forward when cyclists do this.

Wouldn't dream of doing it to a car driver.

Would you do it if the car had been a BMW/Mercedes/Audi with completely blacked out windows?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Why p!ss people off?

Leaning against something isn't an advantage anyway. In the main I'm faster away than those who lean or trackstand #justsaying
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clank wrote:

Indeed.

Simple rule - I don't lean on theirs. They don't lean on mine.

If it happens by accident, I'm good. But on purpose?

S'bout respecting what's mine, as I respect what's theirs. 8)

Agreed, the car is an extension of the body because you are connected to it and that's why people get precious about it. I do it too when I'm driving so it's hypocritical but really, it's just culture. If everyone was a bit more rational about it there wouldn't be a problem.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If everyone was a bit more rational about it there wouldn't be a problem.

In fairness though, you could say that about anything :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's rude. I bet the cyclist in question wouldn't like it if his bike was locked up somewhere and he came out to find someone sitting on the top tube.

I wouldn't do it as a cyclist and I wouldn't be happy if someone did it while I was driving.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    JonGinge wrote:
    Why p!ss people off?

Leaning against something isn't an advantage anyway. In the main I'm faster than Jesus

There I fixed that for you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Why p!ss people off?

Leaning against something isn't an advantage anyway. In the main I'm faster than Jesus

There I fixed that for you.
    He'd be faster if those sandals were spd :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JonGinge wrote:
    Why p!ss people off?

Leaning against something isn't an advantage anyway. In the main I'm faster away than those who lean or trackstand #justsaying

Some f*cker tried leaning against me at the BB lights a few nights ago, trackstanding his front wheel against my back wheel - not impressed. And if anyone put their hands on my car I'd have something to say about it.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    If everyone was a bit more rational about it there wouldn't be a problem.

...and if people keep their paws to themselves.

Ain't a lot to be askin'. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Unless of course he was foreign - I know that in some other countries this is perfectly acceptible behaviour as cyclists aren't all regarded like dog sh!t abroad!
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???