starting out, very first bike and need some serious advice

2»

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    25s will give you a smoother ride and a recent study shows they have less rolling resistance than 23s! 23s have less aerodynamic drag but you're never going to notice.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    thanks unix,

when will all this spending finally stop guys lol. decided to purchase white shimano spd 520 pedals to complement my white trek 1.5 (bike arrives tomorrow! yikes). also popped into my local evans store and tried a pair of SPECIALIZED BG SPORT MTB 2010 model. selling for £50. felt really comfortable plus the added benefit of being able to walk in them. pretty much felt like football boots but much stiffer. got these too, although purchase them online to find my size/

on top of that i got myself a Shimano Pro Cycle Stand just because im a little anal about leaning the bike on walls or the shed. lol. hopefully that now has me fully covered for eeeeeverything. :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Might be an idea to hide this month's credit card bill from the wife......
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • aripallaris
    aahaha. no wife buddy so luckily no headache either lol. still its taken a massive hit out of my beer tokens :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1 to SPD's. Shimano M520's can be found cheap as chips and they are a lot easier for commuting in. Double sided and as other's have said you can buy shoes that more or less look normal in and won't clip clop.

As a commuting newbie I think other more roadie orientated pedals may be a little scary.

+1.

I've got the M520s and the dhb mtb shoes for the commute. Swicthed from SPD-SLs because I was forever buying replacement cleats with all the foot-downs at traffic lights etc.

Re your question about tyres, reduce the risk of visitations by the PF by not riding too close to the gutters, which is where a lot of the guff, glass and stuff swept onto the road by shopowners collects.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • aripallaris
    thanks for the tips matey. keep those tips coming guys , much appreciated
    absolutely busting to try the trek. only a few hours to go. oh if anyone is interested the catseye micro wireless is 30 at halfords. going to price match and get it from a more accessible Evans store in london