starting out, very first bike and need some serious advice

aripallaris
aripallaris Posts: 294
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
so guys/girls im looking to get my first road bike and need some serious advice.

so i popped into my local evans store and and tried two bikes that i filter down too
specialized allez 2011 27speed and the cannodale bad boy. didnt much get on with the cannondale which is a shame because i love the look of it.felt a bit slow and steering was a little bit on the light side.

so im pretty much settled on the allez's ride, speed and comfort. heres my dilemma. I can get last years allez sport triple for about 50 quid less than this years basic allez model. however being a newbie on bike components i have no idea whether its worth spending the extra for this years model or saving a few extra beer tokens and getting last years upgrade sport.

sport allez sport 2010 spec: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019408

sport allez 2011 spec: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025026
(i do prefer the look of this years though!)

other bit of advice please guys
- i need some sort of padlock too which ones do you recommend. ideally something light but secure
- im a little paranoid about cycling into london, im cutting through some not so nice junctions along wood green and finsbury park plus my navigation and knowledge of the london streets isn't that great which is lowering my confidence a bit. are there any iphone aps that work like a cycling tomtom?
- since when did making a pedal choice become so hard! cleats, toe hooks, egg beaters. choice is confusing. cant afford to get racing shoes at the moment but also i carry gym gear with my every day so ideally want to use my running shoes. can you recommend some grippy pedals ideally with a toe cage strap on one side?
- as a newbie with no other equiptment to hand, what else would i need, spare inner tubes tools etc?

i think thats all for now but forgive me as im sure ill be back to ask more questions

---
ari

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Where are you travelling to / from.

I do Turnpike Lane to Angel/Farringdon. I can suggest a route that avoids the Green Lanes / Essex Road drag which is considerably quieter if that's any help.

I'd go with which ever bike you like the best, I prefer the black one. 50 quid isn't going to break the bank and I'd doubt you'll really notice the difference in spec of each machine. I've no idea about the Sora vs 2300 gears, maybe someone else will have a view.

I have a seat bag with a multi tool, tyre levers, 2x spare inner tubes, spare batteries for the lights which sorts most things out.

Shoes, I have cleats and keep a pair of shoes for the office at work.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Go for the cheaper bike with Sora, definitely.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Welcome.
    Both models are good so the difference is down to your personal preference and where you want to land on the pretty bike/beer tokens continuum.
    You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    - i need some sort of padlock too which ones do you recommend. ideally something light but secure
    No such lock exists I'm afraid. A possible solution is to leave a big lock locked up at work so that you don't have to carry it to and from work everyday. Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Locks get good reviews as a smaller, carry around lock.
    - im a little paranoid about cycling into london, im cutting through some not so nice junctions along wood green and finsbury park plus my navigation and knowledge of the london streets isn't that great which is lowering my confidence a bit. are there any iphone aps that work like a cycling tomtom?
    If you are doing the same route day after day, do you really need satnav? I would suggest you do some route checking online and use Google Streetview to check out where you need to turn, what lane to be in. Free London cycle maps here
    I cycle around the Wood Green/ Finsbury park area BTW. Where are you going from/to? I may be able to suggest a route.
    - since when did making a pedal choice become so hard! cleats, toe hooks, egg beaters. choice is confusing. cant afford to get racing shoes at the moment but also i carry gym gear with my every day so ideally want to use my running shoes. can you recommend some grippy pedals ideally with a toe cage strap on one side?
    Yeah, there are loads of different types of pedals:
    SPD, SPD-SL, Egg Beaters, Look, Toeclips, Flats etc
    SPD-SL: Aimed at road bikes and are better when you don't have to clip in and out often (long rides in the country). I used them around town for years and they are not ideal but do the job. The cleats are so big and stick out so much that walking is very hard on them.
    SPD: Originally aimed at mountain bikers, these have found favour with commuters as they are easier to clip in and out of. The cleats are smaller and recessed so much easier to walk in. These are what I use on my commuter.
    Crank Brothers Egg Beaters: Mountain bike pedals which are very good at working in muddy conditions and have 4 way entry, so easier to clip in to. I've never used them, but they look like they have a smallish platform so could put a lot of pressure on a small area of your foot. My mate uses them and thinks they are great.
    Look/Keo etc: Road bike pedals. The same comments as for SPD-SL apply.
    Toeclips: The original form of foot retention. You don't need special shoes to use these, but they are not much better than no foot retention at all unless done up really tight and then they are hard to get into and out of. They would look a bit out of place on an Allez, a bit like having a starter handle sticking out of the front of your Enzo (huge exaggeration).
    Flats: The oldest of old school. Use them only until you get the foot retention you want.
    - as a newbie with no other equiptment to hand, what else would i need, spare inner tubes tools etc?
    I would say two tubes, a p*ncture kit, a mini-pump, a multitool for fettling on the road(I use this) and something similar to this kit from Halfrauds (for fettling at home). After years of buying a tool here and a tool there, I eventually bought this kit and it has everything you will need and more.
    i think thats all for now but forgive me as im sure ill be back to ask more questions

---
    ari
    I'm sure you will and that is fine. Enjoy which ever bike you settle on.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • aripallaris
    thanks the the info guys, definately prefer the black allez but saying that i dont mind the white sport either. this years sport is definately nice though.

well i would be cycling from wood green, near wood side park to covent garden / holburn. but because i contract from place to place having a mini bike sat nav would be really handy. i cant justify a garmin unit 300 is extreme so figured my iphone could work well!

EKE thanks for the maps link, just ordered three maps id need :)
  • aripallaris
    chilling wrote:
    Where are you travelling to / from.

I do Turnpike Lane to Angel/Farringdon. I can suggest a route that avoids the Green Lanes / Essex Road drag which is considerably quieter if that's any help.

how long does it take you to cycle from turnpike to angel mate? ive walked faringdon to covent garden to get to my boxing gym before. would be a breeze on the bike
  • aripallaris
    sorry another question guys. whats the difference between
    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t and the Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26 . is one easier to pedal than the other, faster speed performance etc?

tried finding out info online but im struggling to understand it all.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I would say two tubes, a p*ncture kit, a mini-pump, a multitool for fettling on the road(I use this) and something similar to this kit from Halfrauds (for fettling at home). After years of buying a tool here and a tool there, I eventually bought this kit and it has everything you will need and more.

I'd forget the puncture repair kit for on the commute, just a few tubes and add some tyre levers, not forgetting the tool and the mobile. How far is your commute by the way?
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Marcus_C
    sorry another question guys. whats the difference between
    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t and the Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26 . is one easier to pedal than the other, faster speed performance etc?

tried finding out info online but im struggling to understand it all.

the numbers (12, 25, 13, 26 etc.) are the numbers of teeth on the smallest and largest cogs, all things being equal in the chainrings, the 8 speed one will mean you have a shorter set of gear ratios (easier/faster pedalling). On the 9-speed for example it means 9 cogs between 12 and 25 cogs (probably 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25)

If you're not put off by the colour differences i'd go with the older sport one if it's in your size, more ratios mean they'll be closer together, so easier to find one that suits but it's no biggie if you prefer the look of the new one, We all like to ride a bike that looks nice!!
  • aripallaris
    well the commute is about 11k (based on tfls cycle london route) so id imagine at a brisk pace id make that in 25-30mins. ive been reading that the tires that come with the allez arent too hot and puncture rather easily.

they currently come with : Specialized Mondo Sport, 700x23c, wire bead, 60TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection
    what would you guys recommend? armadillo tyres? and if so how do you know which ones fit and what innertube to get?

would these be ideal: http://www.noahsark.co.uk/specialized-n ... -1966.html
  • Marcus_C
    700c is your wheel diameter and 23c is the tyre width so you want inner tubes to match, if you went for specialized tubes for example, they are 700/20-28c. If you buy it from the store they'll be able to make sure you get the right ones anyway. There are loads of good tyres out there, i'd go for a pair of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/con ... e-ec001745 they're not too expensive and pretty resistant to punctures. I use 25c tyres on my commute but if the roads aren't terrible 23c is fine, again, see what the shop have to say.
  • aripallaris
    so would 25s fit on the existing spoke rims or would i be looking at a complete new wheel?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t and the Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26

I'd find a 13-26 gave quite a low top gear, the 12-25 would be my choice. Also 8 speed is old technology, 9 speed is worth a few quid extra with no down sides.

As far as pedals go I'd look at SPDs. SPD shoes let you walk about normally off the bike. Something like Shimano m525 pedals are cheap as chips and have a plastic insert which you can flip over to use as a flat pedal, handy in heavy traffic.

An Allez is decent first road bike, I doubt anyone who bought one regretted it much :-)

Get some RaceBlade mudguards, they keep both you and the bike a lot dryer and cleaner. I always run flashing front and rear lights even in the daytime, can't hurt.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Marcus_C
    so would 25s fit on the existing spoke rims or would i be looking at a complete new wheel?

No they'd be fine, Your wheels will probably be 15c width, scroll down to the green/red on this page and it has a list of compatabilities with tyres http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html.
  • EKE_38BPM
    what would you guys recommend? armadillo tyres? and if so how do you know which ones fit and what innertube to get?

would these be ideal: http://www.noahsark.co.uk/specialized-n ... -1966.html

Don't buy the tyres you linked to. 700 refers to the diameter of the wheel. 38 refers to the width of the tyre in mm. 38mm wide tyres probably wouldn't fit an Allez and even if they did, it would look like putting tractor tyres on a Lotus.
    Many people on here would suggest 25mm tyres and quite a few would recommend 23mm tyres. I use Continental Ultra Gatorskin 23mm.
    One of the most important things with tyres (other than not spelling it tires) is keeping the pressure up. Get a track pump and check your pressures at least once a week. When you keep your pressure up, you will be more efficient and get less visits from the fairy.
    You don't usually need to change your innertubes if you change tyres. An innertube will fit a range of tyre widths e.g. 20-28mm. As long as the tyre is within that range, you don't need to change it. The range will be written on the box or on the innertube itself.
    I don't know if you've done much cycling since you were a kid, but it may be an idea to go for a bit of tuition or read Cyclecraft (Google it). Vehicular cycling, riding primary all of these things will make sense to you and will make you safer out on the road.

11km in 25-30 minutes works out to around 13mph. Not an unreasonable pace, you'll probably be doing that in a few weeks and not getting sweaty.

You're welcome for the links. Feels good getting something back from The Man.

• aripallaris
    just covered my next question about changing the inner tube. great stuff thanks bud

so heres my list of stuff so far:

specalized allez sport 27 white 2010 - 54cm frame (5ft 7)
    Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700c Folding Tyre (25mm) x2 - replace front and back. will keep the others as spares. (would riding a 23 front and 25 back be better ?)
    Specialized Dirtbag Seatpack to hold the essential kit in
    Cateye TL-610 Rear Light - clear version flashes red
    spare inner tube - undecided on which one
    spare puncture repair in case both tyres blow out
    helmet - will go into store to try one one - im a 55 in snowboard helmet
    Topeak Alien 2 Tool
    portable spoke wrench not sure which one fits my rims?
    tyre levers for getting the tyres off
    some sort of padlock with wire cable

do i need?
    well the tyres come with quick releases on the tyres. do i need to swap these for secure bolts?

gear ive got
    automated tyre pressure pump (ill need something portable too i suppose)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    do i need to swap these for secure bolts?

You seem paranoid about security (which is a good place to start). How secure is your bike parking at either end?

Just to consider an alternative, if you're parking your bike somewhere dark and public then consider getting a dirty but sound 2nd hand bike. It's a bit more hit and miss though so ask someone for a 2nd opinion.
  • EKE_38BPM
    just covered my next question about changing the inner tube. great stuff thanks bud

so heres my list of stuff so far:

specalized allez sport 27 white 2010 - 54cm frame (5ft 7)
    Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700c Folding Tyre (25mm) x2 - replace front and back. will keep the others as spares. (would riding a 23 front and 25 back be better ?)
    Specialized Dirtbag Seatpack to hold the essential kit in
    Cateye TL-610 Rear Light - clear version flashes red
    spare inner tube - undecided on which one
    spare puncture repair in case both tyres blow out
    helmet - will go into store to try one one - im a 55 in snowboard helmet
    Topeak Alien 2 Tool
    portable spoke wrench not sure which one fits my rims?
    tyre levers for getting the tyres off
    some sort of padlock with wire cable

do i need?
    well the tyres come with quick releases on the tyres. do i need to swap these for secure bolts?

gear ive got
    automated tyre pressure pump (ill need something portable too i suppose)

Quite a list. Shopping for bike stuff is fun.
    Front light?
    You don't need a spoke wrench or tyre levers if you buy the Alien 2, they are built into the tool.
    If I were to run one 23mm tyre and one 25mm tyre, I would have the 23mm at the front.
    There isn't much to choose between different innertubes. Continental innertubes have yellow dust caps whereas most other brands use black. I think that is about the only difference.
    The wheels have quick release skewers and I can think of no good reason to get rid of them. When you lock the bike up, make sure the wheel rims (not just the spokes) are locked through the frame (not just a part of the lock going through a fork, that is just useless) and around a sturdy bit of street furniture. Being able to remove your wheels can make locking the bike up easier as you can move things around until you find a way of making sure everything is locked up securely.
    Think about how you are locking and what you are locking to, not just what lock you are using.
    When you buy the bike, tyres and pedals, youwill have a fair chunk of change in a nice portable, easily sold package. Don't skimp on a lock. I suggest looking here and taking the advice they give.
    I would also suggest some eye protection (I use clear Bolle Viper safety glases) as you won't like getting flies and road dirt in your eyes as you filter through traffic at 30mph.
    Many people wear cycling mitts. Get them if your hands aren't comfortable, don't bother if they are.
    SPD compatible shoes
    Helmet
    Lycra
    Heart rate monitor
    Powertap
    Turbo trainer
    Ferry ticket to France
    Entry fee for etape du tour
    New faster bike.

Just doing a bit of crystal ball gazing...

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    how long does it take you to cycle from turnpike to angel mate? ive walked faringdon to covent garden to get to my boxing gym before. would be a breeze on the bike

It usually takes around 25 minutes depending on traffic, that's stopping at the many reds.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Depending on your shoe size, it is possible to get an ebay bargain on some spd shoes and pedals. I picked up a pair of perfectly decent diadora spd shoes for £21. Granted, they aren't the world's most stylish, but they're comfy and do the job. Likewise, you can pick up some pedals for around £20.
  • aripallaris
    mr_si wrote:
    do i need to swap these for secure bolts?

You seem paranoid about security (which is a good place to start). How secure is your bike parking at either end?

Just to consider an alternative, if you're parking your bike somewhere dark and public then consider getting a dirty but sound 2nd hand bike. It's a bit more hit and miss though so ask someone for a 2nd opinion.

well i am a little paranoid about security. presently its not really a major problem. my workplace has underground secure access storage and many people store their bikes there safely. my end im planning on securing my garden shed. to be honest a second hand bike doesnt really appeal to much. well it did at first but trying to find something decent was difficult.

QUICK EDIT: i meant the Kryptonite New York Lock 3000

EKE thats a much bigger shopping list lol. im trying to bring the cost down a little and upgrade bits as i go. i was thinking about getting the crank brothers 19 multi tool. seems well priced and lightweight too.

im almost settled on the New York Lock® STD although Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock is tempting. im just worried its going to be too small to attach it to anything. plus i want to get a cable too to attached the front wheel. good thing about them is that they have theft security so thats a big bonus.

as for clothing, im going to use my snowboard base layers and nike pro vent tops for the time being. Nike 5.0 running shoes till i get some more cash. havent hit the buy button yet! so much money to spend lol.

whats everyones take on bike insurance?
    hstiles, thanks ill checkout fleebay for some cheapies. no harm if i dont like at that price.
  • aripallaris
    oh and what do you guys think of the
    Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 Lock with 4' Cable
  • EKE_38BPM
    When it comes to locks, look here.
    Use the hardest soled trainers you have. If the sole is too squishy it eats your efficiency and I've found that the mid-sole can detatch from the bottom of the shoe, killing your trainers. You may have to sacrifice a pair of trainers to cycling until you get specific cycling shoes and pedals.
    Check your home contents insurance, your bike may be covered in that. Look at CTC for insurance advice.

• aripallaris
    once again thanks EKE.. bikes been ordered. i went for hte allez sport 27. got her for 530 delivered. now to spend the other 250 on all the required bits :(
  • aripallaris
    so heres what ive ordered - dam my wallet is battered but thanks so much for all your help guys.

if ive missed anything let me know

specialized allez sport 27
    Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700c Folding Tyre
    inner tubes
    catseye 610 Rear Light
    catseye uno front light (think im going to regret this one)
    Topeak Mini Master Blaster With Gauge
    Topeak Modula Bottle Cage - think i can attach the pump directly to it!
    Crank Brothers Multi - 19 Tool
    tip top puncture tour kit
    top kit aero under seat wedge with straps (medium size)
    park tyre lever set

still to get - a helmet - im thinking a Giro indicator going for about £30
    and still undecided on my lock yet.
    got to buy my garden shed too - cries as his wallet slowly empties

ari
  • +1 to SPD's. Shimano M520's can be found cheap as chips and they are a lot easier for commuting in. Double sided and as other's have said you can buy shoes that more or less look normal in and won't clip clop.

As a commuting newbie I think other more roadie orientated pedals may be a little scary.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Don't forget clothes!!!!! Although liberating naked cycling will soon see you relieved of your shiny new toy.

Depending on your style I would recommend at least some shorts with a lycra short underneath, a short or long sleeve base layer and a light weight long sleeve waterproof / windproof jacket.

Kiss goodbye to another £100-150 at least!

ps....the spending never stops!!!!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • EKE_38BPM
    ps....the spending never stops!!!!

Yeah, it never stops! I've just bought a Campagnolo carbon fibre toothbrush*!

*This may not be true

• aripallaris
    just an update guys, i can see what you you mean by spending never stops.
    seems ive spent over 400 on accessories alone then i had to buy a shed and some beefed up security for it. dam wallet is burning

on a much bigger note, i cancelled my order for the allez sport triple 2010 and opted instead for the trek 1.5. uses the tiagra system and generally a much better bike from what i could figure out. was a fraction more expensive but i feel a better investment in the long run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    You've started upgrading your bike and you haven't even got it yet. Well done!

• aripallaris
    a quick question for you guys.

the trek comes with these tyres Bontrager Race AW 700x23c. i bought a pair or continental ultra gator tyres 25mm flexible ones (so no wire inside them). which tyres are better to use?

if its the continentals should i just run with the bontrager until they go and then swap out or do an instant swap over. also will going from a 23 to a 25 decrease my speed by much?

on a seperate note, ive been looking for an iphone mount so i could use my phone for navigation and as a cycling computer. There seems to be loads out there and some ridiculously prices and all seem to suffer from the same old water leakage.

theres two that look really interesting
    new version of the dahon iphone 4 holder although at £44.99 for plastic they've got to be kidding.
    dahon-bike-mount-for-iphone-4-62041.jpg

well then i came across an interesting product by Topeak. Much cheaper and can be had for around £20. Pretty much uses the same pouches found used on sailing boats to keep things water tight. I got me one of these to test. Will let you guys know how it goes once it arrives.

3039-10254-main-iphone-167.jpg