Courier Bag or Panniers?

alanmck1971
alanmck1971 Posts: 85
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Currently commute on a Spezilised Tricross with a rucksack and a sweaty bag??
Been thinking of putting on panniers but was wondering if a courier bag with an additional waste start might combat the sweaty bag?

Can you give me your thoughts on courier bags, do they stay in place with a waste strap, do you still gtet a wet patch where the bag is resting?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Saddle bag could work too, I have a Carradice SQR Slim which is great.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    How long is your commute?

I pondered over this for a long time and was 50/50 for most of it, but think I eventually came to the right decision.
    I went for waterproof panniers and absolutely love them, I actually feel more confident on corners with a loaded pannier due to the low center of gravity - and you can get ones that fit a LOT of kit in them, I've carried a couple of changes of clothes in mine with a few bottles of wine.
    FCN: 6
  • straas wrote:

I pondered over this for a long time and was 50/50 for most of it, but think I eventually came to the right decision.
    I went for waterproof panniers and absolutely love them, I actually feel more confident on corners with a loaded pannier due to the low center of gravity - and you can get ones that fit a LOT of kit in them, I've carried a couple of changes of clothes in mine with a few bottles of wine.

My commute is 3 miles each way. Journey to work in the morning is a 3 mile uphill journey - thanks for your feedback.
  • straas wrote:

My commute is 3 miles each way. Journey to work in the morning is a 3 mile uphill journey - thanks for your feedback.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A courier bag is surely going to be the worst option - panniers or an air mesh backed rucksack are the best options; a courier bag will certainly have a bigger contact patch than the rucksack.

In only three miles, even uphill, I suspect you won't suffer the sweaty back for too long.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Courier bags are rubbish unless you are a courier, sweatier and more unstable than a rucksack, albeit with easy access and large capacity. As a mountain biker I always used to wear a rucksack, but when my commute became longer I switched to panniers, which I found much more comfortable and stable, I had huge luggage capacity if I needed it although this meant I tended to carry more carp around with me. However after a while I got a lot faster and aerodynamics became an issue, it became obvious that the panniers were creating a huge amount of drag, so I switched back to a rucksack, I am using an Ortlieb Velocity and am so far very happy with it. If you want to carry a lot and don't ride all that fast I would definitely go for panniers, but if you want to ride fast I would just get a better rucksack. Steer clear of messenger bags, they will probably be money wasted.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    This works for me. You can also get bigger models of the altura.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Aero-Post-Pack_34708.htm
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm all about the panniers but @ 3 miles I'd consider a mesh backpack or Carradice saddle bag depending on the amount of kit.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    A carradice saddlebag with bagman support is another option worth considering. I use the Super C; it's 23l and fits loads of stuff.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Never quite understood courier bags? Always think they're style over substance, but I guess they're easier to get stuff in an out of if you're delivering all day.

I use a Deuter rucsac with the EXP AIR mess. Works perfect for commuting. The 10L version is fine if you can leave your shoes at work.
    exercise.png
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i use a Berhaus Airflow backpack that (supposedly) allows air between your back an the bag

it works pretty good, my commute is 6 miles each way but never ridden further with it on my back
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Bear in mind that (in my experience anyway), panniers alter the handling of the bike, making it feel less stable on turns and less nimble.

I'm for rucksacks all the way. I've just got a bog standard Decathlon one which does me well, no point in splashing out on anything fancy if all you're doing is riding a few miles to work! Who cares if you get a sweaty back? You're going to shower whrn you arrive anyway, surely?

I regularly carry 10-20+kg in my 40 odd litre rucksack in all weathers. If yuo need the stuff inside to be dry, then just wrap it in placcy bags...

If you're doing an audax or something long then certainly consider your options more carefully, but for the commuter, IMO a rucksack is all you need...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • straas
    Courier bags are rubbish unless you are a courier, sweatier and more unstable than a rucksack, albeit with easy access and large capacity. As a mountain biker I always used to wear a rucksack, but when my commute became longer I switched to panniers, which I found much more comfortable and stable, I had huge luggage capacity if I needed it although this meant I tended to carry more carp around with me. However after a while I got a lot faster and aerodynamics became an issue, it became obvious that the panniers were creating a huge amount of drag, so I switched back to a rucksack, I am using an Ortlieb Velocity and am so far very happy with it. If you want to carry a lot and don't ride all that fast I would definitely go for panniers, but if you want to ride fast I would just get a better rucksack. Steer clear of messenger bags, they will probably be money wasted.

I'd have to disagree here, a pannier is obviously an aerodynamic issue as well as adding weight but on your commute I reckon it only makes a couple of mph difference and is great for training.
    On the flat I can easily maintain 18-20 and push it up to 25-27 when necessary, and of course downhill I have a mass advantage.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Panniers!

The end.

EDIT: @Headhuunter - if the sweaty back wasn't a problem he wouldn't have mentioned it, would he?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I've gone for panniers But have just bought on of the clip on/off briefcase ones as well.

as i always need a bag for stuff at work, be that medication or what not.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Panniers for carrying loads (I commuted 9 miles each way with a single pannier containing laptop, change of clothes, and room for some shopping), otherwise rucsack.

I bought a lovely courier bag the other year, and it's great for carrying the laptop on work trips or as a bag-around-town. No use at all on the bike though - swings round in front of me as soon as I get on the bike, even with the waist strap on and the main strap done up so tight it's like a giant medallion. Shame as otherwise it's a lovely piece of kit :-(
    Misguided Idealist
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Panniers for carrying loads (I commuted 9 miles each way with a single pannier containing laptop, change of clothes, and room for some shopping), otherwise rucsack.

I bought a lovely courier bag the other year, and it's great for carrying the laptop on work trips or as a bag-around-town. No use at all on the bike though - swings round in front of me as soon as I get on the bike, even with the waist strap on and the main strap done up so tight it's like a giant medallion. Shame as otherwise it's a lovely piece of kit :-(

thats what i've found as well, ended up putting the courier bag in the pannier bags....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face- ... ag-medium/

14726-large1.jpg

It's the past, present and future of comfortable commuting with a bag, any bag.

Looks cool too!

The end.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have panniers but thinking I may ditch them and go with a rucksack as its hard enough getting out of bed for a 21 mile each way commute never mind with a heavy back end. Do the old 5 shirts for a fiver I reckon.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I have panniers but thinking I may ditch them and go with a rucksack as its hard enough getting out of bed for a 21 mile each way commute never mind with a heavy back end. Do the old 5 shirts for a fiver I reckon.

Step backwards IMO. If you've not done it before, try it with any bag and see how that goes. A pannier doesn't slow you down that much & makes your stronger :twisted:
  • straas
    If you can't face your bike in the morning you're doing it wrong.
  • clarkey cat
    I've been commuting for years and I keep swapping and changing between rucksack and panniers and I cant decide which I prefer. I like having my stuff with me and I've always fancied cultivating the esteemed gentleman cyclist look but I really wince when I hear the whole set-up crashing around behind me on potholes etc.

p.s. I have a Tubus Logo rack, with an Altura top box (for my shirt all folded nicely) and then an Ortlieb on the side.
  • clarkey cat
    If you can't face your bike in the morning you're doing it wrong.

I don't doubt it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Do the old 5 shirts for a fiver I reckon.

This.

I tend to keep shirts at work and just get them dry cleaned once a week. It means I rarely have to carry heavier stuff to and from work. When I do need to carry clothes home I use a rucksack. I also use a camelback, and a courier bag depending on what I'm carrying with me. The courier bag is useful for paperwork, the camelback is handy if I'm out on a longer ride by am taking my camera with me.

I've also got some Ortlieb Panniers for my hybrid which are awesome, big and robust enough for a two week tour or the weekly shop.

Horses for courses, etc...
  • clarkey cat
    Yea I'm getting my hybrid back from my old man next week so I can put the ortliebs on that (as well as a Hamax for little clarkey) and leave the commuter a few pounds lighter. then put the top box on the SS (to carry my neon ray-bans) and sorted!
  • I use a ToPeak trunkbag with side pockets that you can unzip an out pop panniers! Very useful... if you need them unzip them... if you empty them just zip them back up.

Takes a second and is very useful... also if you carry more one way than you do the other it means you aren't riding along with empty panniers flapping around.

The trunkbag is so easy to unclip to the pannier rack as well.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I had the same problem. So I bought panniers, and I've never looked back.

I wouldn't take the 'they slow you down' scare stories too seriously either. Granted, you probably wouldn't want to race with them on, but they won't make a stack of difference on a commute.
  • MattL30
    MattL30 Posts: 28
    I use a ToPeak trunkbag with side pockets that you can unzip an out pop panniers! Very useful... if you need them unzip them... if you empty them just zip them back up.

Takes a second and is very useful... also if you carry more one way than you do the other it means you aren't riding along with empty panniers flapping around.

The trunkbag is so easy to unclip to the pannier rack as well.

+1

ToPeak have a very easy engage mechanism and having the option of the panniers should you need them is reassuring.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I bought a rack and some panniers for a bit of a cycling holiday in July.

I tried the rack and one panniers on a couple of commutes and it felt fine. I went back to a rucksack and at the moment it's fine but any warmer and I will try the panniers again as I don't like a hot sweaty back. Only drawback wi the panniers was the extra width at the back meant I wasn't sure about going through gaps. But thinking about it it's not wider than my shoulders.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    In defence of courier bags, you gys who haven't liked them obviously haven't tried a Crumpler. MAke sure you get the cycle specific ones with the "third leg" strap.

Its the mutts nuts, far better than the ruck sack I used to use, as it doesn't give you a sweaty back due to the position where it hangs. Plus it makes a stylish alternative briefcase for the work stuff.

And whoever said about carrying folded shirts - roll them ratherthan fold them, that way they don't crease.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem