Llandegla Red and Blue

Bernetini69
Bernetini69 Posts: 25
edited April 2011 in Routes
Been reading through many route posts.

I have just been to delamere did the white and blue run, apart from a couple of climbs found it ok.

What do you reccomend I do? I have only just got my MTB after 10 years of not riding, done a 22mile road ride and 10km today in delamere.

Any reviews on both of the runs?

Cheers

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    There's a bit more too Llandegla's runs... Delamere is just fire road and not really technically challenging.
    That said, Llandegla isn't very far up the scale technically, there are some bigger hills and a few sweeping bermed corners, some fun lumps and bumps to try... I managed the red on my first visit, but went back a second time and did both the red and blue in a day which was about 18 miles. Like you, I returned after not cycling much for 10 years... Did the whole thing on an old GT with V-Brakes.

From the start, the first couple of miles is all uphill, first in the trees and then out in the open. It can seem like a real pain I find. Especially on the second lap. But then as you cut back in to the forest it starts to get more interesting.

Since the red branches off from the blue, you can make the choice to switch half way round. I found myself planning to do the blue as a taster but by the time I got to the point where it branches I just went for the red route.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    The first two times i went to Llandegla (after 10 years out of the saddle) was because i was going though a really bad patch in my life so needed to take my mind off everything i did a couple of laps of the blue run on both visits just too find my feet and i did enjoy it as it was wide, quick and flowed pretty well. After riding the red route i was 110% hooked so much so in the following 4 months i've upgraded my Carerra Vulcan XC too a Commencal Meta 5.5, my open face helmet to a full face and am out most weekends now riding red and black routes with my confidence getting better and better each ride, but still like having a blast around the blue run at Llandegla every now and again just too try one or two things that would hurt more if i was on the black run :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What do you reccomend I do?
    Well, nobody can tell you what level you're at. I see a lot of newbie bikers who are born naturals, a few who will really need to work at it, and a few who really should stick to road riding.
    with that much variation in riders and terrain, we can't guess at what you're capable of.
    All that can be said is that, as far as reds go, Llandegla is one of the easiest routes.
    Try it, see where you're at.
    But, if you're at the point of questioning whether or not you SHOULD try it, then stay away from the black.
  • kaytronika
    I think I might try the black on Friday.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have just been to delamere did the white and blue run, apart from a couple of climbs found it ok.

Delamere is relatively flat and the rides are not graded, the colours are just to distinguish between the two rides. (they would be graded green)

For your first visit to Llandegla do the new True Blue and move up to the red when you feel ready.

I would suggest you get some more riding time in before you go as you do need some level of fitness.
  • How challenging is the uphill part of the routes? Dont you have to do this whichever route you go on anyway?
  • omegas
    How challenging is the uphill part of the routes? Dont you have to do this whichever route you go on anyway?

Technically it’s not challenging as it is fire road all the way up, if you’re not used to climbing and not very fit it will be a killer.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Most people tend to take a rest halfway up the first time they attempt it, and even at a good level of fitness it can really take it out of you.

If you do try the red I recommend having a go on the skills area (next to the upper carpark at the start of the trail) and make sure you can cope with the medium sized drop offs and table tops. Part of the first red descent has been resurfaced and includes a lovely drop thats around 18" in height (athough you can also go to the side of it) You can roll it but its worth getting a feel for drop offs before you attempt imho. Same goes for table tops, theres a few of the scattered around the red and although they are all rollable (No doubles) its nice to know what to expect before your out on the trail.

Theres also a large section of the red currently blocked off so possibly a good time to try it if your concerned about fitness

For those that have done the blue but a while ago, try the new blue...its a lot more fun than the last one!

For those that havent done the new black (Parallel universe) if you havent heard me bleet on about it enough....try it out, it is brilliant!!!!!
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    where's this 18" drop off on the red? coz I must have done it coz I didn't bottle anything last time I went and I'd be chuffed to the eyeballs to say I'd done an 18" drop off and I can't DO drop offs! :lol: :oops:
    Caz xx
  • omegas
    where's this 18" drop off on the red?

first section of red after the roller coaster . A white rock was put in late last year on this section, you can not miss it ? (unless you can now go round it)
  • kaytronika
    I nearly missed it on my last trip round... Well, by missed it I mean didn't see it.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • dan shard
    omegas wrote:
    where's this 18" drop off on the red?

first section of red after the roller coaster . A white rock was put in late last year on this section, you can not miss it ? (unless you can now go round it)

Thats the feller. It reaches its highest point in the middle (circa 18") but tapers down to nothing at the side so you can chicken out and go round.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Ahhh I bottled that bit as it was the firsdt proper ride on my old full sus bike and I'm a wimp :lol:

Caz xx
  • Just got backfrom doing the red route!

The climb was tough but wasnt too bad but the decline was rather tough!

Dont think it was a good idea and think it was a bit above my level, nearly came off few times by using too much break. Think its a confidence thing.

Wheels kept locking up aswell and felt a bit insecure especially when out of the forest.
  • kaytronika
    Well done! You've done it the once, it's just a matter of practice now. Perhaps next time start in the cycle skills area half way up the first climb, just try the different obstacles until you become comfortable with them. I felt out of my depth the first time I tried the red. But I remembered back to the types of trails we used to ride before trail centres and just went for it.

I was over there myself today, I wanted to work on drop offs, so I did what I said above, rode the practice drops... Although I must admit I bottled the big black graded drop. :oops:

Couldn't decide whether to do the red or black, so I just left my decision until the black route split off.

Maybe we crossed paths at some point.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • What time were you there? we started just before 12.

I think I need to do a course because my back wheel kept locking up and my front kept skidding when I used the break, which was definately too often as soon as I got any momentum going.

Also, had a couple of times where the peddle hit a rock and the whole bike jolted!
  • kaytronika
    I get the pedal rock thing now and then too actually... Plus I'm getting used to discs and my Fury has a 180mm front disc, so there was an occasion or two where I nearly took a dive over the bars. Plus there was a small maintenance issue with my back break, not my fault.. (it was my fault)

I set off at 11:40 riding alone on the white Carrera Fury in my sig. Got back to the cafe for about three.. I take a lot of breaks.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Im sure you parked next too me? In a blue punto i think?
  • kaytronika
    Sounds like it, Mazda2... Same size as a Punto. Two of you? Specialized bike as I recall.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Yep! small world eh??
  • kaytronika
    Isn't it just! Had I known I would have said hello.

Cracking day for a ride, that ride up the hill was great compared to a rainy windy day.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • ye same!
    haha it was still tough in the heat especially without the protection of the trees!
  • kaytronika
    Yeah, the heat... Drank more than I normally do today.
    If you go back to Delamere any time soon and have a fairly decent sense of direction/map/mobile phone with map... It's worth exploring some of the other trails... There are loads of branches off in to the woods that have some fun bits to ride and practice on. I started riding again after ten years myself last year and really found my feet there... As well as Rivington which is an old haunt of mine.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    is that drop really 18 inches?!

doesent feel it, maybe its because you hiy it quite fast.....
  • kaytronika
    I did that drop today, it was maybe 9 or 12 inches.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • dan shard
    Definately bigger than that. Ive done it loads of times but I'll measure it next time I go, I suppose it depends on where you hit it, but at the highest (where I go over (of course) :D ) its at least 16".

9" isnt a drop, its a bump :lol:
  • kaytronika
    Maybe I'm just better than I thought I was ;)
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Muttly1981
    Been up today and thought i'd try the new freeride section and stacked my bike bigtime on the first tabletop (about 10-12ft) after the bridge my knee is a bit of a mess (no pads :oops: ) with cut's and swelling, popped my thumb out but got it back in pretty easy and a few other minor cuts, grazes and bruses. Lucky for me i was wearing my full face lid as i'd have smashed my jaw aswell :) i MTFU and just about managed a lap of the red route after the fall but it really did knock my confidence for six and was on the brakes all the time. :cry:
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • dan shard
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Been up today and thought i'd try the new freeride section and stacked my bike bigtime on the first tabletop (about 10-12ft) after the bridge my knee is a bit of a mess (no pads :oops: ) with cut's and swelling, popped my thumb out but got it back in pretty easy and a few other minor cuts, grazes and bruses. Lucky for me i was wearing my full face lid as i'd have smashed my jaw aswell :) i MTFU and just about managed a lap of the red route after the fall but it really did knock my confidence for six and was on the brakes all the time. :cry:

Thats good going to get straight back on the horse and do the red :)
  • Muttly1981
    dan shard wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

Thats good going to get straight back on the horse and do the red :)

I honestly don't know how i managed it as i've not made it into work today as both of my thumbs are swollen/brused, my knee is like a football and all kind of colours and can't bend it :oops: My bike is fine though 8)

Made this video from yesterdays ride, it's not great but it was my first attempt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSOQokrPSy0