Cycling photographers are there any

2»

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Two great photographs.

I am not a lover of camera phones but this proves a good point, this would have never been seen if you hadn't had one, and what a shame that would have been.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    MichaelW wrote:

I think I can use RAW with the open source replacement firmware (CHDK) but with a small sensor, the improvement in quality is not so marked as with an SLR.

One of the advantages of Canon compact cameras is the CHDK which unlocks all the features of the DIGIC image processing chip. Canon use the same chip on all their models but hide the upmarket features on lower end and compact models.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

You've lost me now, I'll read the wikipedia stuff later, thanks.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to take my camera (Nikon D200, 17-55G f2.8 ) everywhere when I started cycling. But it's a bit of a heavy old beast so as I started cyc;ing slightly more serious;y it got left at home.

Some times I'll take it with especialy to have a photo-bike ride last time was at night to take some night shots of Croydon from the top of Pollards Hill, South London.

Here -

40733_478049629972_774584972_6691847_4605543_n.jpg

40733_478049619972_774584972_6691845_8254695_n.jpg
    (the two towers in this one are the Ikea towers that anyone who knows the area will know)

40733_478049624972_774584972_6691846_1450045_n.jpg
    (this was a long exsposure and I used my front bike light to 'paint' light over the bike)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Proof that I do cycle to locations.

Culross

20060730-105023.jpg

Note:- This was 2006 when I had a hybrid before I made the "mistake" of trying a friends road bike. 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Canon Firmware:
    Every digital camera has a processing chip. It converts the RAW sensor data to jpg and does lots of other stuff.
    The chip runs some software installed at the factory (called Firmware) . Normally this software is all it ever runs.
    There is an Open Source project to write replacement software for the Canon DIGIC chips. It replicates the factory Firmware but allows much more user control. It allows owners of cheaper models to have the same control as the very high-end models and even more.

You copy the correct version onto an SD card. Insert, switch on and load up the new software. It doesnt affect the factory Firmware at all, you can revert to it at any time.

No other brand has an open source firmware.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    MichaelW wrote:
    Canon Firmware:
    Every digital camera has a processing chip. It converts the RAW sensor data to jpg and does lots of other stuff.
    The chip runs some software installed at the factory (called Firmware) . Normally this software is all it ever runs.
    There is an Open Source project to write replacement software for the Canon DIGIC chips. It replicates the factory Firmware but allows much more user control. It allows owners of cheaper models to have the same control as the very high-end models and even more.

You copy the correct version onto an SD card. Insert, switch on and load up the new software. It doesnt affect the factory Firmware at all, you can revert to it at any time.

No other brand has an open source firmware.

interesting, thank you.

Currently I prefer to do all my post processing in Lightroom. It means more work but I feel I can do more with a DNG file than the same picture in jpeg.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • RIght, reading this thread was a good fillip to get the camera back out for a ride, so here's one fresh from today, from the route towards my favourite training hill.

I think we need a sticky or a photo area on the forum!

Some more things here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simontheintrepid/

5596422618_ce7f0eecec_z.jpg