Cycling photographers are there any

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Just in case anyone states the obvious I know you shouldn't ride and use a 35mm camera at the same time, yes I know unless it is mounted and set to take photos etc.

However I was just wondering if there are any cyclists out there who, when they have time, or have the interest, actually carry a camera with them, and if so, what they take photographs of, and if so what camera they use.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just in case anyone states the obvious I know you shouldn't ride and use a 35mm camera at the same time, yes I know unless it is mounted and set to take photos etc.

However I was just wondering if there are any cyclists out there
    who - me
    when they have time, or have the interest, actually carry a camera with them - yes
    and if so,
    what they take photographs of - whatever
    and if so what camera they use - whichever.

I know, I am being a bit cheeky there. If you want to, all you have to do is put your camera in a backpack and go. Strapping a tripod to the frame is another possibility.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jeremyrundle
    edited April 2011
    daviesee wrote:

However I was just wondering if there are any cyclists out there
    who - me
    when they have time, or have the interest, actually carry a camera with them - yes
    and if so,
    what they take photographs of - whatever
    and if so what camera they use - whichever.

I know, I am being a bit cheeky there. If you want to, all you have to do is put your camera in a backpack and go. Strapping a tripod to the frame is another possibility.

The question was who takes photos, of what and with what, what make of camera and type is a whichever :?

• jeremyrundle
    My photography for example is wildlife, I carry a Canon 60D, 28-135 Canon IS lens and Manfrotto monopod, or if travelling light I carry just an Olympus VG120 in a posket any other photographers out there.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Tend to have my phone with me (which has a pretty average camera built in as most do these days) and just pull over and photograph something if it catches my eye - landscape, architecture, flora & fauna. Not great pictures and pretty low-res due to it being a phone, but it's more about documenting something of interest rather than composing the perfect image. I don't like carrying lots of stuff on the bike, so I'm never likely to have anything more sophisticated unless going somewhere specifically to photograph it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'm thinking of starting to do this, as I'm sure I could get some nice shots at the top of Greenwich park on a nice evening.

I've got a Panasonic GF-1. Nice and compact, with the 20mm pancake lens attached, and takes a good (well, good enough for me) photograph.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have an Olympus e-10 and a 3 section tripod.

I drive.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    99% of the time, if I'm shooting, that's the main aim of the trip & its a 40D + lenses + tripod etc etc. which would definitely compromise a ride.

If I'm riding and doing some snaps on the way, its my GoPro HD.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    [quote="jeremyrundle"
    The question was who takes photos, of what and with what, what make of camera and type is a whichever :?[/quote]

I am confused by the questions.

I take the photos of anything that catches my eye with my camera.

What I find eye catching may or not be everyone's taste but I don't worry about it and neither should you.
    I use my camera and the make etc is largely insignificant.

If you were askig which camera should I buy, that would be a different matter, and set of questions.
    As always - do what you want. Our opinions are worthless. I doubt you will disagree with that :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    `The camera that alays goes with me is a samsung wb500. cheap enough not to be devastated if it get broken but with enough settings to be a bit more creative than auto mode point and shoot.

I carry it with me wherever and shoot whatever takes my fancy.
  • Gorillapods are your friend for carrying convenience!

I'd have to take an SLR, I'm not good at compromise, just make sure you've got a good, secure backpack.

I need to get into the habit of photography on rides more. I'm always making mental notes on group rides to go out again and capture. You realise how different the same scene can be day to day and learn when best to go out and attempt it. Very rewarding. If I get round to it and this thread's still going I'll stick some up.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Like most folks I have a camera-phone. Ive taken some nice roadside pics esp of wildlife. My fav one is of a baby mole trying to dig a hole.
    On holiday I carry something a bit better, it used to be a Ricoh GR1s 35mm compact with super-sharp lens. Now I use a digital compact Cannon A620. The biggest camera Ive carried is a Hasselblad.
    Yesterday I took the digicam and a tripodout to a local viewpoint to make a panoramic view of the city, before the leaves come out fully. I stitched 6 photos into a 7MB monster file.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I use a pentax k10d with wideangle lense and filters, for landscapes, either in a bar bag on my road/tourer, or my backpack on my mtb. When using the mtb i use a joby gorilla.

When I'm riding again, I intend to put the rack on my road bike and strap the tripod to it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    MichaelW wrote:
    ....I stitched 6 photos into a 7MB monster file.

That doesn't sound huge, are you using jpeg files?

each ONE of my files DNG (RAW) is around 18Mb.

I suggest using RAW files for better qualilty images, if you can.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    However I was just wondering if there are any cyclists out there who, when they have time, or have the interest, actually carry a camera with them, and if so, what they take photographs of, and if so what camera they use.

Carry my EOS 7D with me all the time in my Lowepro backpack much to the chagrin of some of my neck tendons! Some of my stuff is here, most of it taken whilst I was on or out on my bike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36514675@N08/
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    not when commuting but when out on my MTB i always have a camera.

I carry it on my chest with the case secured to the chest strap on my camelbak and the strap secured by a carabiner(sp?) (mountaineer's clip thing) to the camelbak.

Easy to stop, get camera out, take quick shot and put away again wqithout all that faffing of getting it out of my backpack.
    FCN = 4
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

35mm.....? Errr no one has used that since 2003....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

shhhh.. you'll upset the hipsters!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW wrote:
    ....I stitched 6 photos into a 7MB monster file.

That doesn't sound huge, are you using jpeg files?

each ONE of my files DNG (RAW) is around 18Mb.

I suggest using RAW files for better qualilty images, if you can.

I think I can use RAW with the open source replacement firmware (CHDK) but with a small sensor, the improvement in quality is not so marked as with an SLR.

One of the advantages of Canon compact cameras is the CHDK which unlocks all the features of the DIGIC image processing chip. Canon use the same chip on all their models but hide the upmarket features on lower end and compact models.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Can we stop talking about cameras please?

I keep thinking about replacing my aging e-10 and all this talk has me wandering over to Amazon again...

Most unfair. :? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    iPete wrote:

shhhh.. you'll upset the hipsters!

I ain't no hipster! Mrs RJS has a Nikon D50 which is the main family camera, but I still enjoy using our old Pentax ME Super now and then, preferably with some fast B&W film.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jeremyrundle
    MichaelW wrote:
    Like most folks I have a camera-phone. Ive taken some nice roadside pics esp of wildlife. My fav one is of a baby mole trying to dig a hole.

Lets see it then

• jeremyrundle
    edited April 2011

:!: Actually I still use my Olympus Pen and Nikon F Photomic Ftn, as well as my DSLRs. I also spend much time with my Bronny SQAi in the country, 6x6 is great for landscapes.

Hassleblad have just released an "affordable" digital large formay £14k :!: :!:

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

:!: Actually I still use my Olympus Pen and Nikon F Photomic Ftn, as well as my DSLRs.

What do you like taking pictures of, Jeremy?
  • jeremyrundle
    My main areas are Astronomy (DSI) and Solar with a PST, landscapes and action.

Main gear Canon 60D and APO Sigma 17-500.

• jeremyrundle
    Just bought a lens hood for my Canon 28-135, was most upset to see printed in large white letters uWinKa on top.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lens-Hood-Olympus ... 27b9b567dc

• My "throw it in the bag" camera is an Olympus Trip. 35mm film, no batteries, good lens and it looks pretty cool too!
  • jeremyrundle
    Cuchulainn wrote:
    My "throw it in the bag" camera is an Olympus Trip. 35mm film, no batteries, good lens and it looks pretty cool too!

Just like my Olympus Pen.

• Old olympus cameras are great! Got mine for a tenner!! Was a bit off on the exposure, so one strip down and clean and it was good as new!

Looking for a proper rangefinder now (already have dslr and medium format, so just being a format completionist!)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I still shoot on 35mm quite a bit.

Currently packing:

Eos 5
    Eos 350D
    Eos 50D
    Powershot G11

Must admit that I don't tend to carry a camera when I'm out riding, but then you aren't allowed to ride in the places I take pictures:

_MG_3353-2.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MichaelW
    edited April 2011
    MichaelW wrote:

Lets see it then
    Taken with a Samsung X700 phone.

moleinaholesml.jpg

molesml.jpg