New To Spd's

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some people might believe that others do yes. You know, people who ride hardtails and say that it's because of the "purity" and such nonsense. The people who believe that hardtails are all that matters, and that suspension is bad. But still have front suspension.
    Or even moreso, people on rigids.

Bad technique on flats can seemingly dissapear on SPDs - The technique is still lacking but hidden, but choosing to ignore it can lead to problems.

Bad technique on a hardtail will still be bad technique on a full suss, the suspension will not make it go away, or more importantly, "appear" to go away.
  • I want to have clipless pedals but the amount i have to get on and off my bike is unreal so im nervs about useing them

hey guys check out my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/ammo1985
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Uchiga- You can't use the hardtail and flats excuse, I'm 55kg, ride an alu hardtail and regularly do the downhill course and lots of other trial riding without my feet flying off the pedals. It's all technique, I try to concentrate on it and learn it properly. It's to do with dropping you heel and using your ankles and legs to absorb the shock. You need to admit to yourself that you're doing something wrong and don't blame anything else on it.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    So clearly people who ride flats think that people who ride spds do so to correct some poor technique, whereas people who ride spds think that people who ride flats don't ride very far or climb hills.

surely different types of riding call for different gear?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    diy wrote:
    So clearly people who ride flats think that people who ride spds do so to correct some poor technique
    I don't generally speaking. But when people explicitly claim that yes, they DO use SPDs because they never learnt how to keep their feet on the pedals, then that is precisely what I think of them.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    diy wrote:
    I think that's partly to do with it. I do club XC runs and I'm the only person to use flats but that's because i also do a lot of downhill and you don't want to be clipper in when you have an off. So 30 mile xc rides and downhill, 2 opposite ends of the spectrum but I'd rather lose efficiency and not kill my on the downhill than get maximum efficiency and mess myself up in a crash.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    diy wrote:
    So clearly people who ride flats think that people who ride spds do so to correct some poor technique, whereas people who ride spds think that people who ride flats don't ride very far or climb hills.

As yeehaamcgee said, I have no comments at all about people who ride what they want and don't try to explain things away. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what is "best" but technique is technique no matter what your weight and clipping your feet to pedals isn't fixing technique, it's fixing yourself to the bike and ignoring the problem. Ultimately, it's more likely to lead to a painful accident than accepting there's a problem and trying to work with it.
  • I have a carrera Vulcan its an awesome bike

Please stop spamming the threads with your youtube channel, or you will be banned

Admin.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    That's nice.