Aching back

crewebiker
crewebiker Posts: 11
Thought someone might have some insight here and maybe some suggestions.

I've been into weight training heavily for the past couple of years after being heavily into road cycling when i was 17/18 (i'm 21 now)

I've recently got back into cycling seriously after deciding cardio will help me cut up after bulking.

I've been doing some pretty heavy squats/leg presses etc in the gym and i'm as strong as i've ever been.

Went out today and tuesday for a short ten mile ride, few steep hills around the city involved (i love the hills, pure strength training). When i was younger i usually would have climbed out the saddle but i can now comfortably climb in the saddle in quite a high gear still.

But it makes my lower back ache. only while riding, it's not aching now a few hours after being out on the bike.

My bike is set up correctly and everything for definite. Never used to ache when climbing when i was younger and i'm now even stronger, especially in my core.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Think it might be just because i'm out of touch with the bike but some others opions would be interesting.
Road: Hinde aluminium frame (black) with black Shimano 105 groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels

Mountain: Diamondback S10 four point linkage full sus modified with Kona rear triangle and custom componentry

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I would say you're exercising muscles in a different way from your previous training. Climbing in the saddle also can also put more strain on your lower back, especially if you're arching your back for more power. A few more rides may sort it out. Otherwise try a few exercises which stretch the lower back, such as variations on 'The Plank' etc.

Worth noting also, though you say the bike is set up properly, too high a saddle, so that the hips are rocking can cause this also.

Best of luck
  • Many thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

One thing i've noticed is, i'm now keeping a straighter back on climbs, even when in the saddle. I've lost the art of riding with an arched back since weight training with squats etc.

I've been out on a couple more rides since my post, and i think my back is improving for cycling again. Did 30 miles on saturday and it only started to ache in the last five miles.

My bike setup hasn't changed since my Crewe Clarion days a couple of years ago. One of the old lads would always point it out if you were riding a bit too high or low.

Again, thanks for the reply. Like you say, i think it may improve once i start riding a bit more again.
    Road: Hinde aluminium frame (black) with black Shimano 105 groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels

Mountain: Diamondback S10 four point linkage full sus modified with Kona rear triangle and custom componentry