racing sunday - interval work...

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
racing sunday, did a 46miler today solo, would it be wise to do some interval work tomorrow, say 30-45mins (cut time, maintain intensity)

if so, how many and for how long?

cheers :)

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Depends on the type of race it is.

Crit or circuit race would probably dictate shorter and more intervals (like 15 seconds x 10).

Road race wold probably mean longer intervals (30 seconds x 6).

Just a rough guess though.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Personally I wouldn't if you want to have a good race. If however you are happy to use the race as a pure training race, and the result doesn't matter, then intervals will provide good training for future events. What you do depends on your racing aims.

Nothing you do this week will help your race on Sunday, and depending on how you recover, and how hard the intervals are on your body, could hamper you in the race through tirtedness.

I do short sharp efforts the day before a race to wake the legs up, but they are short and sharp, and not designed as a training session.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    SBezza wrote:
    Nothing you do this week will help your race on Sunday, and depending on how you recover, and how hard the intervals are on your body, could hamper you in the race through tirtedness.

This ^
  • badly_dubbed
    Ok, I can't stand doing nothing so who can suggest a plan for tonight instead?

Cheers guys :)

Davy
  • SBezza
    Easy spin?

Bit of a question for you. How well do you want to do in your race on Sunday?

Give us an answer to this and planning will be made easier. Bear in mind that you need to rest to get the best results.
  • badly_dubbed
    I want to do well naturally, 80 riders on start, I'd love to be top 20 (maybe asking too much though lol)

Race FYI is sup6r six rd2 at roseneath (B)
  • SBezza
    Well then rest up today, do a short session tomorrow with a few leg and lung openers, and be ready for Sunday :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SBezza wrote:
    Well then rest up today, do a short session tomorrow with a few leg and lung openers, and be ready for Sunday :wink:

+1
    More problems but still living....
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    SBezza wrote:
    I generally agree with SBezza's comments but I'm going to disagree a little bit with this advice. If I don't put in a couple of threshold efforts of (five -20 mins) 36-48 hours minimum before the race. I don't quite feel at my best. I'm fine sitting in the bunch but I can't quite sustain things when it comes to break aways; and generally I'm all about breakaways :wink:
  • SBezza
    Toks wrote:
    SBezza wrote:
    I genrally agree with SBezza's comments but I'm going to disagree a little bit with this advice. If I don't put in a couple of threshold efforts of (five -20 mins) 36-48 hours minimum before the race. I don't quite feel at my best. I'm fine sitting in the bunch but I can't quite sustain things when it comes to break aways; and generally I'm all about breakaways :wink:

I agree a short sharp session before a race is ideal, but you wouldn't do a full on threshold session 48 hours prior to a race and expected to be at your best. You might be able to race pretty hard, but I doubt it would be your best. I can race pretty successfully 2 days running, though the 2nd race I would be down on the power I could produce if I was fresh.

Anyhow I was more going along the lines that any adaptions from training this week wouldn't really manifest themselves for the race on Sunday, and doing too much would more likely hinder than help. It might not in some people, but I would have thought for the majority it would. :D