Discs replacement in the neck

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
Hi all, in a couple of weeks I am having a couple of discs replaced in my neck [anterior cervical disc replacement].
My cycling ha been pretty much non existant for a while because of the above and also I suffer from Spondylolisthesis [a serious lower back problem].
I was wondering if anyone else has had the neck op and how it has affected / helped their cycling.
The op is to remove the two offending discs and replace with artificial ones, hopefully keeping a bit of flexability rather than fusion of bones.
The anterior part apparently means the op is performed from the front of the neck which sounds a bit dodgy but I'm not the expert.
Any feedback welcome,
Cheers all Scurry

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sounds awful - best of luck - sorry i don't have anythng more to say!
  • ascurrell
    Hi, thanks for the comments, yeh i must admit I am pretty apprehensive about it but I got to have it done. It certainly won't get any better. I am suffering a lot even everyday things like using this computer.
    Hopefully I will get sorted and the Airborne Lancer can come down from the loft. Saying that the Consultant wants to address the lower back problem, I've only suffered that for 35 years.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    really hope it gets sorted ,very frustrating not being healthy/ able to do what you want. good luck
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Hi, I had an anterior cervical discectomy after breaking and dislocating my neck 18 months ago during an MTB race.

I basically had the disc removed between C4/5 and replaced with a carbon fibre cage. This was then fused together with a titanium plate. Got a 2" wide scar on the front of my neck which isn't really that noticeable and whilst I have lost some mobility, it isn't all that much (although, the winter cold definitely had an extra effect on it!)

It was all a bit daunting when I was in hospital, but I had first class care and, to be fair, the worst part of all of it was actually waiting for the op as I had to lie down for 5 days solid beforehand. Apparently, I was also 5mm from being tetraplegic...we live and learn, eh!

Anyway, jumped back on the bike in the new year (2010) and have recently started road racing this year after a full winter of training. If anything it has made me appreciate riding that little bit more.

Good luck with it all
    D
  • ascurrell
    Hi, thanks for the feedback guys and your experinces superspenna.
    Sounds pretty much what I have been told although the Consultant said I wouldn't have any fusion but at the pre op it was mentioned simIlar to yourself.
    With titanium and carbon some great ingredients for bike parts.
    I fortunately don't have to wait 5 days like yourself [that must have been terrible] I suspect it was because of the trauma type of injury you experienced. Mine is wear and tear but I will be having two disc replaced and some growth removed from the bone.
    Sound like yours has been a success and when you think back it was only 5mm from being tragic,
    Thanks again, scurry

one bad thing is I've just bought a new car and I am not allowed to drive for at least 6 weeks following the op, what a bummer cause I can't afford a chauffer!!
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Have a fair idea of what your going through. I had a titanium insert between c6/c7 in july 09. needed replacing because of wear n tear and that caused extreme discomfort/pain and other side effects. Tried to manage with painkillers for a while but ultimately surgery was best option. Result? One of the best experiences(?) of my life. Pain now gone, full mobility, can ride bike no problems on the odd occasion I get out. That's nothing to do with surgery but severe case of life complicated with double boneidleness I'm afraid. No problems since apart from brief relapse last year because a) i have further damage at c1/c2 that may need work and b) more importantly, the mind can play bloody awful tricks on you if you not careful.

Whilst accepting there are risks associated with any surgical procedure, I would heartily recommend the surgery if you are experiencing anything I went through. Check out the NICE website for further info if you have not done so already for further info.

My understanding is that only Centres of Excellence can perform this type of procedure. Where you getting it done? I was in and out in 4 days and it took a further 3 months before I returned to work. This was partly because my employer was looking after me well and partly because i think there are side effects that we are not aware of ie no driving for 6 weeks, building yourself up again physically etc. The surgeon was impressed with the speed of the recovery I made both immediately post-op and longer term. I think that was more down to his skill rather than my recuperative powers however I was reasonably fit and healthy prior to the op so perhaps that helped.

As for getting out on the bike again only you can decide when it's right to do so, how hard etc. I would suggest that perhaps you have a proper bike fit sometime after a period of riding. i guess your body has made some adjustments to your discomfort so that you feel '"comfortable" but post-surgery you will perhaps be "back to normal" but still have a riding position to accommodate pre-op. Bit long winded but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to say?!?!?

Anyway have a good recovery, take your time and try not too worry too much.
  • johnboy183
    PS

The best feeling was being able to wiggle and feel my toes, ankles, fingers etc. At least then I knew that his knife had not slipped! The worst was the threat of having a catheter inserted if I hadn't managed a wee the following morning! Managed it!
  • ascurrell
    Hi johnboy, again many thanks for the helpful feedback, much appreciated.
    Much of what you say rings bells, the two discs Iam having replaced are c5/6, c6/7.
    Apologies to getting all technical but consultants describes it as cervical spine surgery, anterior cervical decompressionplus discectomy plus insertion of disc arthroplasty c5/6, c6/7.
    Then he goes on about my spondylolisthesis which is an even more serious mentioning posteriorinstrumentation, insertion of cage, bone grafting and decompression. That will be addressed following the neck op.
    Sorry to be so negative but all in all it effects so much and the powers that be say I should be on jobseekers and do not have "limited capability".
    It's being performed at Colchester Hospital, the Consultant say';s he has carried out 200 similar types of Op's. I must admit he does put you at ease whilst still being very proffesional.
    I just want to be able to do simple things like washing under the armpits, putting sleeved clothing on without feeling varied pains that are like a 'dead arm'.
    I have also been told no driving for six weeks and we'll have to see how long my employer [my wife] let's me off work for.
    Many thanks again it's all been very helpful, out of interest where did you have your Op,
    Cheers, Scurry

I am deffo gonna try and pee though
  • johnboy183
    Scurry, if this were a competition for pain, you'd win hands down :shock: Tis one competition I'm glad not to win!! It all sounds abit horrible for my liking. My op was done at North Staffs and like yours, my surgeon definitely put me at my ease. keep me informed of how it goes yes?
  • johnboy183
    Wow Google are good. Just noticed 3 ads on this page for injury compensation, a new cure for disc prolapse and no-win no-fee solicitors. Shame I've no need to call on any of them at present :o:lol: