Chasing down bad drivers

13»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    Surely the gentlemanly thing to do (and this would also totally undermine the machismo of the boyfriend) is to pull up, open the passenger door and calmly and politely ask if the girlfriend would like to leave this idiot to his own devices as she didn't appear to be enjoying the ride. If you are setting off the 'concerned for her safety' with a cyclist's physique suitably clad in lycra then so much the better.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    its marginally better than punching her in the face aka an earlier correspondent, but not much.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Mystique wrote:
    I'm normally pretty laid back with other road users, but one young indian lad in an MX-5 did provoke a response. He was showing off to his clearly terrified girlfriend by trying to force me into the kerb, so I stopped, let him pass, then caught him at the next set of lights where I calmly dumped the contents of my drink bottle into his girlfriends lap with a cheery smile & wink.

She went ballistic at him, and I got a grin & a thumbs-up from the guy in the car behind...happy days :D

Not, perhaps, the way I'd have chosen to do it. But I guess if there's one thing calculated to make his life more miserable than dumping it over him, then dumping it over his girlfriend would be it :-)
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    This thread has brought back a few memories, I am a lot more chilled these days but many moons ago on our saturday there was a large group of riders going downhill through a local village so speed was around 20-25mph which was normal car speed in that village, unfortunately it wasnt quick enough for this guy behind and he was blowing his horn/flashing the lights and shouting abuse, anyway we slowed and he pulled over, one of our guys went across and calmly asked him to lower his window, which he obliged, oh yes it was messy, very messy for him anyway.

The one that always sticks in my memory is of a BMW which side swiped me one morning on my way to work, unfortunately for her the car infront was turning into the garage opposite, well I had lost it big time, after a good rant I removed the full length pump from the frame and bashed it over the roof of this fairly new BM until I was only left holding the handle, then I calmly remounted and carried on my 3 mile ride into Cheltenham, a very busy road and whilst I had been berating her for trying to end my life, there was a fair bit of traffic backing up, it was almost 2 miles before anyone overtook me, god only knows what they though of it all.

I'm so glad I dont do that commute anymore.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I remember club cycling a very long time ago when some rather foolish car driver decided that we needed a blast from his horn in order to encourage us to give him room to overtake. He spent the next three miles as an honorary member of the peloton.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rhext wrote:
    I remember club cycling a very long time ago when some rather foolish car driver decided that we needed a blast from his horn in order to encourage us to give him room to overtake. He spent the next three miles as an honorary member of the peloton.......

You're my hero 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    i don't often chase drivers, though i did berate one for nearly sideswiping me as he was turning left and told him in rather crude language that he had indicators and perhaps might like to use them.

i did lose it one time, on a club run through the chilterns, i was at the back of the double line, and the chap next to me unfortunately crashed following a touch of wheels with the guy in front. in rather a lot of pain he had hauled himself from the road to the grass verge, leaving his bike in the road. some cow in a 4 x 4 decided to start aggressively honking so that we would move the bike so she could carry on her way. rather annoyed that she didn't even bother asking if the cyclist was ok, i slowly went to get the bike, then she honked again, so i stopped, went round to her window and gave it large about her inconsiderate behaviour, then i'm afraid i resorted to body fascism in telling her that perhaps if she drove her 4 x 4 less and cycled a bit more she might not be such a fat, unattractive bovine....
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    rhext wrote:
    Mystique wrote:
    I'm normally pretty laid back with other road users, but one young indian lad in an MX-5 did provoke a response. He was showing off to his clearly terrified girlfriend by trying to force me into the kerb, so I stopped, let him pass, then caught him at the next set of lights where I calmly dumped the contents of my drink bottle into his girlfriends lap with a cheery smile & wink.

She went ballistic at him, and I got a grin & a thumbs-up from the guy in the car behind...happy days :D

Not, perhaps, the way I'd have chosen to do it. But I guess if there's one thing calculated to make his life more miserable than dumping it over him, then dumping it over his girlfriend would be it :-)

...is the right answer :D
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    normally i dont just get a few angry moments and let it go, but couldnt help myself tonight as a nice big zafira inches away pulled from the kerb. waived in his rear view mirror and startled him, overtook and slowed right down in the center off the road.

turned off, some V's and cycled on, what an idiot could of killed me so probablies more shock than anything.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I had a private taxi cab behind me, close enough to hear his impatience and revved engine, heading down a hill that tooted at me as he forced an overtake - I'd be doing not short of the 30Mph limit anyway plus 2-300mtrs later there is often a queue as there is a set of lights at the top of a hill. Yup, caught up with the car as he sat waiting in the queue. Knocked on his window and as soon as he opened it I said "Oh, I thought I must have known you, you were tooting at me" and off I went.
    Surely that's the only reason that they'd toot at you, not that they are a tw4t and are so impatient to get to the back of the car in front that they just HAVE to overtake you driving like a fool ?