Chasing down bad drivers

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    He shouted "do that again and I'll smash your face off" which I thought was an interesting response so I unfolded and refolded his mirror. Sadly the lights then changed and declining my offer to hop out he drove off.
    Not very grown up I'll admit but I'm not going to be bullied.

:lol:

I've seen a few people mention the twat tax which involves knocking off someone's wing mirror, not big or clever imo, but sadly for some it's the only language they understand (both cyclist and driver)

Yeah, guy at work here says that he has knocked a few wing mirrors off and said that he used to actually carry stones in his pockets to lob at cars. Proudly told me he has worked out exactly where to hit a cars bonnet to leave a dent..... :shock: I thought I was bad just shouting at people and I've even stopped doing that now and resorted to a roll of the eyes and shake of the head, unless they have been utter @rseholes that is....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Butterd2 wrote:
    He shouted "do that again and I'll smash your face off" which I thought was an interesting response so I unfolded and refolded his mirror. Sadly the lights then changed and declining my offer to hop out he drove off.

A driver clipped my arm with his wing mirror once, and didn't like the fact that I moved my arm after I'd done it.

so he jumped out of the car seemingly ready to have a fight. First thing he said was "some people I know would rip your f***ing face off for doing that". So I told him I was glad that hei[/] wouldn't do it. He looked so angry, (proper vein-throbbing-in-the-middle-of-his-forehead angry) that there was no point making a big deal out of it because he looked like he'd be killed by a stroke/heart attack within the hour. So I just calmly and politely said "you clipped my arm, all I want is a bit more space. Thankyou". A bit of civility seemed to puzzle him.

Oooo, just remembered another one, a driver tried to overtake me and my dad approaching a crossroads where he'd have to stop anyway. As he came up behind us I saw a car coming the other way that he couldn't see (due to a bend in the road), so gave a 'get back' signal to the driver. He seemed to heed it, let the other car past before overtaking ~20 yards from the junction (!), then steering hard left to get back in his lane in time for the cross roads, pushing me and my dad into the verge.

We then ended up next to the passenger window where the humilated wife was holding a bunch of flowers and some xmas presents, a kid was in the back and the driver was hurling abuse at me, across his wife, for slowing him down. If I hadn't 'slowed him down', he'd have crashed head on with the car coming the other way, so you'd think he'd be grateful.

After trying to get my point across I just gave up and cheerily wished him and his family a Merry Christmas, such a great disarmer! :lol:

He drove up the road, then got out and headed towards us.....to apologise and offer us a merry christmas too! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I normally chase them down, but more to prove the point that they aren't actually saving themselves any time.

Very rarely stop to argue with them, just spin on past.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg

Has anyone seen Goofy in Motor Mania? This is what a lot of drivers are like. They get behind the wheel of the car and something takes over which turns them into complete lunatics. People will shout and scream abuse when they'd never do it in other situations. Most of those people will reflect on their actions later and feel shame but if you start a confrontation they will just focus on that rather than their own stupidity.

Occasionally, you will meet someone who really is an unhinged lunatic. Pick a fight with one of those and you're in deep sh!t. Is it worth the gamble?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Aidy wrote:
    I normally chase them down, but more to prove the point that they aren't actually saving themselves any time.

I believe we have a winner!

Blowing a kiss as you pass is the icing on the cake. It doesn't matter to you what they take from it but it really messes them up :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Aidy wrote:

Agreed, that was the point of my OP. I've never said anything to a driver, except when they've shouted abuse at me or beeped, but whereas a polite, sane overtake does nothing to me, idiots who cut infront of me when I'm in a queue of traffic or similar will find I will do what I can to give it some beans and get past.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    magnatom wrote:
    I was going to say he a self-righteoous arrogant aggressive pr*ck but I didn't want to appear to be rude. So I didn't.

I'm quite happy to meet up sometime if you are interested in sharing information on the route and telling me this to my face.

I would like to point out that I was not being rude.

I dunno... some people. :roll:

Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I've watched his vids on youtube - really comes across as a self-righteous type, and just seems to get into trouble all the time.

Absolutely. Never seen someone have as many issues on a commute as he does. All on my route as well. I have the occassional incident, but only now and then....

Trundling along in the middle of the road at 16mph probably doesn't help. I've stopped to have a go at one driver - a car pulled a left turn without indicating and had I not sensed something was about to happen and slammed on my brakes, he'd have broadsided me. I pulled down the road behind him and as soon as he stopped, banged on the window and started berating him. Then I noticed that he was a tiny indian chap, about 5 foot tall, late fifties, minicab driver and couldn't speak a lot of English. He also had an attractive female passenger in the back. There was no way I could have continued my tirade without looking like a complete cock,s o settled for a muted ' be more careful next time' and rode off.

There's no point chasing down or berating drivers. The vast majority of people are selfish and /or thick, so you may as well just learn to deal with poor driving, otherwise you'll end up like our Scottish friend, namely a pontificating arse cum local freakshow forced to embark on a neverending crusade to eradicate poor driving.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    magnatom wrote:
    I was going to say he a self-righteoous arrogant aggressive pr*ck but I didn't want to appear to be rude. So I didn't.

I'm quite happy to meet up sometime if you are interested in sharing information on the route and telling me this to my face.
    Well, Magnatom, have viewed your video's with interest as you commute on the same road as me, well part of it anyway. Did think you must attract the "maddies" but maybe not from your blog. Do agree that the "cycle lane" on Milngavi Road is shocking, it really should not be there, so full of cr4p and in such a bad state of repair, I too try and keep out of a lot of it. Worst bit is heading towards Milngavie across from the American Golf shop. You have probably passed me a few times, but I am getting quicker, so watchout for someone on a purple retro looking single speed Raleigh Elan!

Safe commuting!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I have chased cars down. Once a left turning car swiped me into the road and the occupants drove off laughing. I saw them turn off into an industrial estate where they got held up by a security barrier. I then proceeded to put a size 10 Shimano mtb shoe into the front passenger door panel - but it could also have led to my getting filled in. I witnessed a lunatic this am shouting at another driver and he proceeded to invite me the bystander and the driver to fight him. Eventually he drove off but a minute later returned and was out of his car offering a fight/die solution. Best to leave the nutter well alone.
    M.Rushton
  • This reminds me of something that happened to me back in the day (Summer 97 IIRC)
    Used to live in Fulham in the 90's and was walking home from Putney over PBR on the left (Bishops Park side) when a red hatch (corsa/106/saxo) drove past and I was sprayed with water from the passenger side.
    After the initial surprise, i clocked the passenger window down (obviously) with a barrel of one of those pump action water guns poking out.
    Right then, i thought. :evil:
    Started to sprint down to the TL set after the bridge, BP/Omen church (and pub, still there?) on the left.
    Car, and occupants, held up by reds, and so (without words, warning or indeed thinking) lashed out a punch through the (still open) passenger side window to connect with the baseball capped passenger.
    Only when the baseball cap flew off, into the lap of the driver did i realise that the passenger was a girl (late teens/early 20's)
    And then continued with my pedestrian journey.
    No comebacks, no further fallout with the car passing me, probably shock (for both parties presumably) but i wager that that particular 'practical joke' went to bed early.
    Still brings a smile to my face when i think about it.
    Not i condone hitting women, but she deffo deserved it!
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

So you really do condone it then, don't you? :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    hstiles wrote:
    There's no point chasing down or berating drivers. The vast majority of people are selfish and /or thick, so you may as well just learn to deal with poor driving

+1 TBH. I've chased a couple of times now, had a rant, been told to f*ck off, given some back etc etc and then only half an hour later felt thoroughly ashamed at how pointless it had all been.

Not dying on the roads is my main priority these days, even though my temper still flairs when the adrenaline is running!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • daviesee wrote:

So you really do condone it then, don't you? :evil:

Ah, an agent provocateur. :roll:
    I could have phrased that sentence more accurately.
    If She was a He, still would have done it. After all, the act and the responding action, wouldn't have solely depended on gender.
    A scrote is a scrote is a scrote.
    HTH
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • A girl splashes you with water, and you punch her in the face!

Who is the scrote?
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    I've chased down a few in my time, but after a while I've mellowed out, normally they now just get a head shake when I ride past the line of traffic they are sat in.

There was one time though I was out for a training ride early one morning. Where I was living at the time had a nice road by the airport, long straight 2 lanes. At the end of the road was a dock for a ferry to another island that was having a hotel built on it. The ferry went at set times each day and the builders got paid for when they got the ferry. Miss the first ferry and they had to wait for the next 30 minutes later.

This meant a lot of builders racing to get to work. I'm coming the other way, i can see a line of cars coming towards me going fairly fast (limit on this stretch is 30), when the 5th or 6th car in the line pulls out to overtake, this was a fairly frequent thing so i moved over to the edge of the road to give them room, the car being overtaken then decided to race the overtaking car. Then the car behind the 1st overtaking car started to overtake, i've now got 3 cars racing each other heading towards me, si i took the only option and dived off the road onto the verge into a dry drainage ditch.

At this point i was fairly annoyed, got back on my bike and chased them down to the car park. I found one of drivers and started to berate him, i was really getting into the swing of things, facing up to him and everyting, (i'm 6'2 and quite well built and rarely get any hassle) when i noticed him looking behind me and smiling, which fired me up even more.

Then the realisation dawned on me that i was the centre of a semi circle of very big, latin american builders, who had an awful lot of tools with them, and i was clothed in sweaty lycra......my parting words with a strongly waggled finger were @and don't do it again'
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Don't get me wrong, It doesn't happen after their first f**k up but if they want to continue it on down the road then for some strange reason all their ranting and swearing makes their mirror jump off all by itself.

Butterd2 wrote:
    I asked him if he's done that on purpose and he said yes I was in his way so after a couple of expletives I folded in his near side wing mirror.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    A squirt of water hardly justifies a punch to the face regardless of whether male or female, but I appreciate that some people may think differently. However to admit to punching a young girl in the face and then say it still brings a smile to your face? :evil: :evil:
    You sound like a complete coward to me and I only regret that you didn't find yourself having to justify your actions to someone your own size that evening.
  • bails87
    No, he only had two deal with two people in a car. You might think he's an idiot, but only one party in that story is a coward, and I'd say our was the one in the tonne or 2 of metal picking on vulnerable road users.
    MTB/CX

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    noodles71 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, It doesn't happen after their first f**k up but if they want to continue it on down the road then for some strange reason all their ranting and swearing makes their mirror jump off all by itself.

FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • merkin wrote:
    A squirt of water hardly justifies a punch to the face regardless of whether male or female, but I appreciate that some people may think differently. However to admit to punching a young girl in the face and then say it still brings a smile to your face? :evil: :evil:
    You sound like a complete coward to me and I only regret that you didn't find yourself having to justify your actions to someone your own size that evening.

Coward?
    *Yawns*
    Only when the baseball cap flew off, into the lap of the driver did i realise that the passenger was a girl (late teens/early 20's)

You think their immaturity is acceptable then?
    Personally, i think your handles appropriate.
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    magnatom wrote:

Well, Magnatom, have viewed your video's with interest as you commute on the same road as me, well part of it anyway. Did think you must attract the "maddies" but maybe not from your blog. Do agree that the "cycle lane" on Milngavi Road is shocking, it really should not be there, so full of cr4p and in such a bad state of repair, I too try and keep out of a lot of it. Worst bit is heading towards Milngavie across from the American Golf shop. You have probably passed me a few times, but I am getting quicker, so watchout for someone on a purple retro looking single speed Raleigh Elan!

Safe commuting!!

Only just saw this! I'll keep an eye out for you. I either ride a Blue Ribble or a Silver Kinesis Racelight Tk. I always have a blue helmet and a wee camera hiding just underneath it! :-)
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    I'm normally pretty laid back with other road users, but one young indian lad in an MX-5 did provoke a response. He was showing off to his clearly terrified girlfriend by trying to force me into the kerb, so I stopped, let him pass, then caught him at the next set of lights where I calmly dumped the contents of my drink bottle into his girlfriends lap with a cheery smile & wink.

She went ballistic at him, and I got a grin & a thumbs-up from the guy in the car behind...happy days :D
  • Mystique wrote:
    I'm normally pretty laid back with other road users, but one young indian lad in an MX-5 did provoke a response. He was showing off to his clearly terrified girlfriend by trying to force me into the kerb, so I stopped, let him pass, then caught him at the next set of lights where I calmly dumped the contents of my drink bottle into his girlfriends lap with a cheery smile & wink.

She went ballistic at him, and I got a grin & a thumbs-up from the guy in the car behind...happy days :D
    :?:
  • bails87
    Yeah, surely the driver deserved that?
    MTB/CX

• About 10 years ago I was on my way home passing a side road when a car pulled up to the line with four young lads in it. The driver smiled and I don't know why but my Spider senses started tingling and sure enough ,at the last possible moment ,he pulled out forcing me to slam on and nearly go over the bars. He then shot off with the two lads in the back looking at me ,laughing their heads off and giving me the finger.
    I pedaled after them as fast as I could but lost them over the next half a mile. I was livid and started to slow down and bimble the last mile home to try to calm down. Five minutes later, in the shadows as I crossed the local civic centre car park, who should I see locking their car up under a floodlight then crossing the road with cues in their hands to the local pool hall, but our four young heroes. I stood there for a minute trying to decide what to do, then walked over to the car, let all four tyres down , hopped back on my bike and cycled home.
    When the rain woke me up lashing the bedroom window at about 11.30 , I must admit the thought that they would be getting back to their car about then sent me back to sleep with a nice warm feeling in my tummy. They say it's best served cold...they're right.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Mystique wrote:

Wow... Way to go hero. Completely inappropiate...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mystique wrote:

Er, you punished his "clearly terrified girlfriend"? Good job big man ;)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    Oooo, just remembered another one, a driver tried to overtake me and my dad approaching a crossroads where he'd have to stop anyway. As he came up behind us I saw a car coming the other way that he couldn't see (due to a bend in the road), so gave a 'get back' signal to the driver. He seemed to heed it, let the other car past before overtaking ~20 yards from the junction (!), then steering hard left to get back in his lane in time for the cross roads, pushing me and my dad into the verge.

We then ended up next to the passenger window where the humilated wife was holding a bunch of flowers and some xmas presents, a kid was in the back and the driver was hurling abuse at me, across his wife, for slowing him down. If I hadn't 'slowed him down', he'd have crashed head on with the car coming the other way, so you'd think he'd be grateful.

After trying to get my point across I just gave up and cheerily wished him and his family a Merry Christmas, such a great disarmer! :lol:

He drove up the road, then got out and headed towards us.....to apologise and offer us a merry christmas too! :lol:

:lol: Brilliant!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    notsoblue wrote:
    Mystique wrote:

Er, you punished his "clearly terrified girlfriend"? Good job big man ;)

I can sort of see the reasoning behind this - I think you were hoping to utterly ruin his relationship with this girl and push her over the edge to dumping him.

Really unfair on the poor girl though, but then you could argue that you were doing her a favour by getting her away from the idiot sooner rather than later.

Still unfair on her though. Pouring it all over him would've made him look so stupid she would've walked away out of embarrassment.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter