Sweetspot training

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
I'm doing sweetspot training atm, 90-100% FTP. Are there any "better" interval sets? Or is it just a case of mixing it up (2x20, 3x12 etc)?
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd call 90% sweetspot, but I'd call 95-100% FTP threshold.

But anyway, how about doing 2x21 in a HoP style? So do 2.5 mins @ 90-95% FTP then 0.5 mins @ 110-120% FTP - more like a race-type effort compared to banging out 20 minutes at a constant wattage.

I did this a couple of times this year on the turbo. Thankfully I've now left the boredom of the garage and most of my training is outdoors now the weather is better and the evenings light for longer :D
    More problems but still living....
  • mclarent
    Cheers, nice idea I'll give that a go for threshold sessions.

Think I'll stick with 2x20s for sweet spot - just had a check, and whilst I can't find a direct reference this blog has Sweet Spot at 85-95% of FTP, so I need to tone it down a little(!)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • I use Coggan/Hunter's definition of SS (88-94% FTP). I've been using long intervals at this intensity to try and push up my FTP. I'm just finishing a big training block (7 weeks) dedicated to SS. I 've used lots of different sessions.; however, the 3 that I've used the most are:

1. 1*45 at 88% FTP followed by 2*20 at 94% FTP (done on turbo)
    2. 60 mins at top end of SS range (done on turbo)
    3. 90 mins @ 88% FTP (done on road)

I've seen some good gains from these. The big benefit is that you can recover from the sessions pretty well so long as you sleep and eat properly. Hence, you can really start to build your training load by gradually increasing the length of the intervals.

Now that the main part of the TT season is approaching I'm going to start focusing my efforts on sessions where I work slightly under/over FTP and also on sessions that target VO2 Max.
  • mclarent
    Wow. That is some dedicated interval work! thanks for that, interested to know, have you measured the change in your FTP?
  • I use the max power I can sustain in a balls-out 2*20 as a proxy for my FTP. I haven't done one of these sessions since I started my SS block. I'll be doing one of these sessions next week so that will give me an indication of my improvement over the 8 weeks. However, 8 weeks ago when I did a max 2*20, I averaged 285 watts over the 40 mins. Last week I managed 295 watts for 70 continuous mins, so I'm hopeful of seeing a good improvement when I do my next 2*20. My feeling is that increasing the volume of time I've spent just below my FTP has worked far better for me than trying to constantly increase the intensity of my threshold sessions.
  • mclarent
    Cool. FWIW, FTP should be the max power you can hold in a 1 hour effort, so if you're knocking out 295 average over 70mins I would guess your FTP is >300. However, you're obv using a repeatable test method in your 2x20s, so that would be the number to check improvement. Interested to know how you get on!
  • Sorry, just re-read my post. I should have said 285 for 70 continuous mins. In any case, I'll let you know how I get on. Would love to break the 300 watts barrier.